Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-05-2020, 16:50   #1441
m17

Tuam co galway 23/05/20 16.44 temp 13°C
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-05-2020, 17:27   #1442
Calibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzy View Post
Think it was late June before water pressure was reduced in 2018.

It's a lot drier, earlier this year.

We are a month ahead in conditions and no real heat yet.
Whenever I need to remind myself when the Heatwave of 2018 really kicked off I just have to Google the Taylor Swift concert at Croke Park. Cousin, his wife and kids were over on holidays from Perth in Oz and another relative bought them tickets to Taylor Swift in Croker. Never could get him to believe us when we told him that 26ºc here could be like 35ºc+ over in Perth due to the humidity and it certainly didn't look like this holiday was going to change his mind as they were all dressed up in their Winter Woolies...literally....for the concert. Light jacket weather for us. However a day or two after that concert they headed off to Galway to be greeted by blue skies and 30ºc. He finally understood what we meant as he was melting in Galway at 30ºc like he would in 40ºc Perth Heat.....and nowhere over here has Aircon!! LOL.

So yeah, Summer 2018 kicked into high gear about the 18th of June.

The corrollory is true also due to the humidity. Uncle has lived in Edmonton in Canada for decades. Exact same line of latitude as Dublin but in the centre of the continent where a normal Winters day could be minus 20-25ºc. He's never as cold there as when he comes back to Ireland some Christmases. ie. He feels a lot colder on a drab damp +4ºc Winters day in Ireland than he does on a -20ºc day in Edmonton.

Last edited by Calibos; 23-05-2020 at 17:34.
Thanks from:
23-05-2020, 17:33   #1443
Danzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibos View Post
Whenever I need to remind myself when the Heatwave of 2018 really kicked off I just have to Google the Taylor Swift concert at Croke Park. Cousin, his wife and kids were over on holidays from Perth in Oz and another relative bought them tickets to Taylor Swift in Croker. Never could get him to believe us when we told him that 26ºc here could be like 35ºc+ over in Perth due to the humidity and it certainly didn't look like this holiday was going to change his mind as they were all dressed up in their Winter Woolies...literally....for the concert. Light jacket weather for us. However a day or two after that concert they headed off to Galway to be greeted by blue skies and 30ºc. He finally understood what we meant as he was melting in Galway at 30ºc like he would in 40ºc Perth Heat.....and nowhere over here has Aircon!! LOL.

So yeah, Summer 2018 kicked into high gear about the 18th of June.
2 degrees here is often worse than -20 in Calgary and 25 and muggy here is worse than 40 there.

Strange weather we have here on the edge of the Atlantic.
23-05-2020, 17:43   #1444
SouthWesterly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKK View Post
I was hoping for a lot more rain, this "bad" weather, spell has been too dry.
We had an inch over the last few days.
I was in the veg garden and looked under the wood chips in the beds. Soil is soaked. 6 inches outside the bed is bone dry.
(3) thanks from:
23-05-2020, 17:57   #1445
Gonzo

Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
I'll be glad when today is over and we can resume a dry and relatively settled pattern. I do not like Atlantic conditions like today at all, keeps me inside all day long. Today feels more like late October or early November, cold, damp and very windy at times. The Atlantic can pack it's bags till next October and i'd be well happy! The Atlantic can also get lost again from mid November and i'd be even more happy!
Advertisement
23-05-2020, 19:10   #1446
RobertKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWesterly View Post
We had an inch over the last few days.
I was in the veg garden and looked under the wood chips in the beds. Soil is soaked. 6 inches outside the bed is bone dry.
It only amounted to 8.8mm here in Kilkenny at my location.
Hopefully June will turn wet and warm.
23-05-2020, 19:12   #1447
SleetAndSnow

I'd love a situation where it was just the east and west got rain and we got some more dry days down here in the south, we've had enough rain! Had it while ye were beginning the drought and we got plenty the other day! Sun please!
23-05-2020, 19:17   #1448
Danzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleetAndSnow View Post
I'd love a situation where it was just the east and west got rain and we got some more dry days down here in the south, we've had enough rain! Had it while ye were beginning the drought and we got plenty the other day! Sun please!
Still the driest 70 days in living memory and probably in a century though.
23-05-2020, 19:21   #1449
Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleetAndSnow View Post
I'd be happy if the rain only fell at night. Not sure why people are dying to get more rain, we had almost 8 continuous months of it up to the beginning of March. Sure the past 2 months have been rather dry and we may have another few dryish weeks to come. The long term charts are signaling a return of the annual very unsettled conditions for end of July and August especially, by then we will all be sick of the rain again.
Advertisement
23-05-2020, 19:21   #1450
SleetAndSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzy View Post
Still the driest 70 days in living memory and probably in a century though.
I mean in cork at least, our average for may is basically the same as the last 4 years according to the Met Eireann data. (Obviously location dependent, north cork had less I think). Actually had more this year then May 2019 and May 2017, April is adding up to the mean amount generally according to the data too)

East and west definitely need it though, the east definitely is parched
23-05-2020, 19:22   #1451
SleetAndSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
I'd be happy if the rain only fell at night. Not sure why people are dying to get more rain, we had almost 8 continuous months of it up to the beginning of March. Sure the past 2 months have been rather dry and we may have another few dryish weeks to come. The long term charts are signaling a return of the annual very unsettled conditions for end of July and August especially, by then we will all be sick of the rain again.
Thats the dream Once it starts it never stops though . Rain from like 11pm - 6am and then sun and then back to rain would be ideal Definitely sick of the rain with the over 240 days of rain we had before. Was nearly constant!
23-05-2020, 20:44   #1452
Kermit.de.frog

Looking good for the coming week

23-05-2020, 20:55   #1453
Gonzo

thankfully we see a return to mostly settled and dry conditions from tomorrow. Today has been a write-off here in Meath with loads of showers on and off all day and a dark evening with misty rain, a real dirty evening. The wind is finally dying down. Haven't set foot outside all day.
(2) thanks from:
23-05-2020, 21:05   #1454
Mortelaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
thankfully we see a return to mostly settled and dry conditions from tomorrow. Today has been a write-off here in Meath with loads of showers on and off all day and a dark evening with misty rain, a real dirty evening. The wind is finally dying down. Haven't set foot outside all day.
Max today here of 16.4c,which wasn't too bad apart from the wind
Shower of rain atm
A few light brief ones earlier
Thanks from:
23-05-2020, 23:17   #1455
Slashermcguirk

Strange that you got so many showers in dunshaughlin. It's so close to Dublin and yet I saw just one shower here in and it lasted about 5 minutes and amounted to nothing. Irish weather is so random.

quote="Gonzo;113531070"]thankfully we see a return to mostly settled and dry conditions from tomorrow. Today has been a write-off here in Meath with loads of showers on and off all day and a dark evening with misty rain, a real dirty evening. The wind is finally dying down. Haven't set foot outside all day.[/quote]
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion