Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you report someone for Social Welfare fraud

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

AulWan wrote: »
    Claimants of Disability Allowance are allowed to work up to 15 hours per week, in certain circumstances.

Someone can be granted a medical card based on medical grounds even if over the limit.

Virtually impossible to be eligible for a medical card if you are working full time, regardless of the severity of your illness. 2 million people in the State have some type of medical card. I doubt anyone is ever convicted for medical card fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Do they actually prosecute? What are the penalties?

They can prosecute, separately I know someone who was caught by revenue working and collecting benefit.
    Then working legally and earning
    cash from a separate employment.
    They rattled off details of all his and wives cars over 15 years , details of how much they reckoned he earned cash in hand and told him how much they reckoned he owed the state in tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

GoneHome wrote: »
    Ok I know of a least three people claiming jobseekers and disability while working on the side, another I know who has a medical card when his wife is on over €80,000, all people I know, we're breaking our ass getting up at 6 every morning to go to work, getting peed off with it, would you report them or say f**k it if they can get away with it leave them off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

fmpisces wrote:
    The thing I'd struggle with is how would you discern who is "in genuine need" and who "is not" (I suppose). Do we really know the full story? Do we need to? Before anyone has a potential go at me I work and therefore pay my taxes

A social welfare inspector can make that decision. I'd report someone I thought was scamming. Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Abba987 wrote: »

I second that....

You or anyone can report anonymous online and it will never come back to you.

I will have no hesitation in doing exactly that... Sick of working and seeing what I see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

fmpisces wrote: »
    The thing I'd struggle with is how would you discern who is "in genuine need" and who "is not" (I suppose). Do we really know the full story? Do we need to?
    Before anyone has a potential go at me I work and therefore pay my taxes :D

That is up to the relevant authorities to assess. Not any individual to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Virtually impossible to be eligible for a medical card if you are working full time, regardless of the severity of your illness. 2 million people in the State have some type of medical card. I doubt anyone is ever convicted for medical card fraud.

That's the problem with this couple, he's claiming he's just renting a room in her house even though they have two kids together, he's letting on his single on disabillity even though the partner is in a big job in the HSE earnign €80,000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

€80,000 working for the HSE still claiming SW you must be joking. I'd report them and I'd tell them to their face I was the one who reported them. PM me their name and I'll do it straightaway. That person is an utter scumbag. Report, report, report! I've half a mind to report you for failure to report a crime and because they should investigate what you know.

Someone working for a little cash in hand I probably wouldn't report. Family and friends would get a lot more leeway than someone who wasn't.

Not impossible, I have a full medical card based on medical grounds and work full-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

A social welfare inspector can make that decision. I'd report someone I thought was scamming. Simple

Fair enough. But I think you'd need to be 100% sure, thinking they are scamming simply isn't enough. Not fair bringing that kind of stress on a family/individual based on assumption only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

I second that....

You or anyone can report anonymous online and it will never come back to you.

I will have no hesitation in doing exactly that... Sick of working and seeing what I see.

Same. And if reported in error then this will also be discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Virtually impossible to be eligible for a medical card if you are working full time, regardless of the severity of your illness.

It really isn't, I worked full time up until very recently and was far in excess of medical card income limits.

However due to my own medical conditions and history I've had a medical card for nearly 20yrs.
    Always honest on my renewal form, always provide all requested detail and always held the card.

I also hold medical insurance, but due to the nature of my own illnesses quite a lot of my care is GP based and the medical covers this for me.

€80,000 working for the HSE still claiming SW you must be joking. I'd report them and I'd tell them to their face I was the one who reported them. PM me their name and I'll do it straightaway. That person is an utter scumbag. Report, report, report! I've half a mind to report you for failure to report a crime and because they should investigate what you know.

Someone working for a little cash in hand I probably wouldn't report. Family and friends would get a lot more leeway than someone who wasn't.

Absolutely the more I think about it I'm going to report them in the morning, can they back date it cause they;ve been screeing the system with years

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Not true, I have a full medical card based on medical grounds and work full-time.

I didn't get one despite being on on dialysis twice in my life but fair play to you, I just hate paying for meds forever that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Absolutely the more I think about it I'm going to report them in the morning, can they back date it cause they;ve been screeing the system with years

Look you know more about the situation than we do.
    At he very least after your report, the will be assessed and reviewed by an SW inspector.
    Based on what you have said, it needs to be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,651 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

banie01 wrote: »
    Look you know more about the situation than we do.
    At he very least after your report, the will be assessed and reviewed by an SW inspector.
    Based on what you have said, it needs to be looked at.

Sounds more like the OP just doesn’t like their neighbours tbh. I doubt they’ll get the outcome they’re hoping for.

Sounds more like the OP just doesn’t like their neighbours tbh. I doubt they’ll get the outcome they’re hoping for.

You think? I'll let you know how it goes.......

Would you report someone for Social Welfare fraud

Yes, if I could also report all the self-employed tradespeople/businesspeople/professionals who are not paying tax on all their income by virtue of substantial amounts of undeclared income/cash price jobs, etc. In my experience, that's a far more common defrauding of this state.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I would blackmail them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Report them OP, I hate this s**t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Report them OP, I hate this s**t

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It depends on the circumstances to be honest.
    If Claire/John and there kids were on some type of social welfare/disability and they tried there best but Claire did a few hours baby sitting I probably wouldn't.

If Claire/John and there kids had new cars/jewelry/etc whilst being on social welfare. I'd question reporting mainly because Ireland is a small county and people talk. It could be more hassle than it's worth.

One thing I would say is I know people on social welfare/have medical cards. You'd hear rumors that they have loads of money/etc but in reality they haven't.

Another thing is I know somebody who's always contacting social welfare/tulsa/etc reporting people for everything. She's a nasty piece of work and money can go missing off people when she's around. She loves causing trouble for people and seeing people in bother. It would really turn you off it.

Report now. Go online as you are, fill in as much as possible and leave it there....

Yes they can back date and do a full investigation....

Sure even if they're full of bull the investigation will show that too.

Report.

Who are you going to report them too and what exactly for?

He can't rent a room from his wife, if they are married, and you have referred to them as husband and wife several times.

If he is claiming disability allowance, it is not means tested and his medical card could be on medical grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

He can't rent a room from his wife, if they are married, and you have referred to them as husband and wife several times.

If he is claiming disability allowance, it is not means tested and his medical card could be on medical grounds.

Well spotted . OP did say husband and wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My aunt is always saying this and that person is loaded from their social welfare but in reality they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭CFlat

Valley of the Squinting Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Yes, if I could also report all the self-employed tradespeople/businesspeople/professionals who are not paying tax on all their income by virtue of substantial amounts of undeclared income/cash price jobs, etc. In my experience, that's a far more common defrauding of this state.

You can report those self employed people very easily. Write a letter containg their details plus your concerns and send it to your nearest tax office.

Social welfare it is 2019 and they have the internet....

People are up to all sorts of scams such as single mothers but the father's are living with them even though they don't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is a non means tested scheme which gives free medication to people with specified conditions. This might be what the person on 80 K a year is getting?

https://www2.hse.ie/services/long-term-illness-scheme/long-term-illness.html

Reporting fraud is an anonymous process. So nobody should be afraid of being attacked, unless they go round telling the wrong people that they reported someone.

https://m.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx

Advertisement