Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do bus drivers salute each other

• 14-07-2019 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Been taking a lot of buses over the last year and almost all bus drivers salute each other even if working for different companies, even across motorways. They don't salute anyone else just each other. Is there like an unwritten bus drivers code where they all have to salute each other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They probably know each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It's just fellow workers spotting each other on the job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

Giggsy19 wrote: »
    Is there like an unwritten bus drivers code where they all have to salute each other?

It’s actually written into their contracts. At least for BE.

I did an interview and driving test with them a few years ago, and it came up as one of the terms of employment.

It was this along with another couple of issues that put me off.

I think it’s a h & s issue. Both hands should be on the wheel at all times, except for necessary actions, like indicating, adjusting the radio etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Giggsy19

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They probably know each other.

Certain they don't, they can't even see who is driving the bus across the motorway. Coach drivers saluting BE local city drivers unlikely they know each other. It's weird but it just annoys me a little for some reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ye do it on the motorbike too, also when out running. I think Prius owners do it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

Why does it annoy you? They're just saying hello to their fellow worker in the same boat, just being friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Allinall wrote: »
    It’s actually written into their contracts. At least for BE.

I did an interview and driving test with them a few years ago, and it came up as one of the terms of employment.

It was this along with another couple of issues that put me off.

I think it’s a h & s issue. Both hands should be on the wheel at all times, except for necessary actions, like indicating, adjusting the radio etc.

:pac: It's just a wave hello ffs. They aren't getting on the roof and doing a dance. Health and safety :D

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »
    Why does it annoy you? They're just saying hello to their fellow worker in the same boat, just being friendly

I don't know why it annoys me, just kind of does! Why are city link drivers saluting bus eireann drivers etc just drive the bus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Certain they don't, they can't even see who is driving the bus across the motorway. Coach drivers saluting BE local city drivers unlikely they know each other. It's weird but it just annoys me a little for some reason!

May i suggest that if something as trivial as that annoys you you might as well give in using the roads because you'll have a heart attack in no time.

May i suggest that if something as trivial as that annoys you you might as well give in using the roads because you'll have a heart attack in no time.

Its just the buses that annoy me. Why don't all taxi drivers salute each other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Watching interactions between some taxi drivers at the rank outside my office I think we should just be happy that their civility to fellow drivers extends to not throttling one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I know a few who do

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I wonder if Gardai salute each other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

It's a show of manliness to prove that they can squeeze past with only one hand on the wheel.

It's up there with the fine tradition of temporary blinding someone, to thank them for letting you through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

They are all part of a union brother.

They are all part of a union brother.

So if you are part of a union you have to salute your fellow union brother. Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

People who drive campervans usually wave at each other on the road too

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Been taking a lot of buses over the last year and almost all bus drivers salute each other even if working for different companies, even across motorways. They don't salute anyone else just each other. Is there like an unwritten bus drivers code where they all have to salute each other?

They are all free masons. I think they're secretly planning something.

People doing similar work tend to salute each other. Around my area everyone salutes everyone even if they don’t know the car Incase it’s someone they know but if I’m in the tractor and meet another tractor there is always a salute regardless of the area it’s just a nice bit of spirit among people. You will see truckers do this a lot too. I like the way bus drivers also do it. A lot of them would know each other too particular among the different private operators as they would be hanging around at the start/finish stops chatting often.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It's a show of manliness to prove that they can squeeze past with only one hand on the wheel.

It's up there with the fine tradition of temporary blinding someone, to thank them for letting you through.

And what about the Women bus drivers are they just trying to be manly by doing it too. A know a few and they are far from manly to look at.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

(We have a rich heritage, believe it or not)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Some absolutely miserable c*nts around if they’re getting wound up about two working men saluting each other on a bus round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I salute people with the same car as me. I'm sad like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

If that's your biggest grievance when using buses, consider yourself lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

What's wrong with it have you nothing better to be moaning about? It's very universal too I was on a few buses in Italy there recently and the drivers all waved at each other.

Generally they seem to give small wave to drivers they don't know such ones working out of other depots or companies like DB drivers waving at Go-Ahead drivers but drivers who know each other give a big friendly wave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

somefeen wrote: »
    I salute people with the same car as me. I'm sad like that
    I still like to wave at helicopters :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

ive seen lorry drivers do this too.
    probably a case of 'all in this together lads'.
    i think its nice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

RasTa wrote: »
    I think Prius owners do it as well.

ng2j4w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

RasTa wrote: »
    I think Prius owners do it as well.

I thought Dublin taximen hate everyone ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think it's nice

Advertisement