Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

16-06-2019, 08:16   #76
corks finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleoperson View Post
I've spent a long time searching trying to find this out and finally just said to hell with it, I'll ask here.

I'm expecting a visit from the friendly tv licence inspector some day and it's giving me a bit of anxiety. I keep hearing this thing about "can he look through the front window and see a tv", and the answer is not from a public area no. But could he reasonably walk around the side of the house and peer in?

I've heard of them being very persistent and aggressive, but he wouldn't have the gall to come up to the front window on my property and look inside with me and the tv in there would he? There is absolutely no public area such as the road he can see a tv from.

He would have to willfully go past the front door and walk along the side of the house until he came to the front window. Alternatively he could park in the driveway, get out of the car and look in. But if you're in a driveway uninvited you're already trespassing right?

Can they get a warrant to search the house on probable cause?
They can get a warrant but need to be accompanied by a lawman- I invited my last inspector in and as he was making to put his foot inside I quipped" oh can I see your warrant ? " End of hassle,I wouldn't leave any stranger in , with a warrant yes ( no choice) if enough of that crap living in the Creggan in the 80/90s ref RUC/ Brit soldiers-
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-06-2019, 08:29   #77
Stop moaning ffs
Banned

As an aside, the analogue system has been cut off, meaning if you plug the cable into the thing on the wall, you’ll get no stations or signal whatsoever. Unless you have a box like soarview or sky.

So if you have no box, doesn’t that mean the tv isn’t capable of receiving a signal?
16-06-2019, 08:50   #78
Ficheall

Quote:
Originally Posted by corks finest View Post
I invited my last inspector in and as he was making to put his foot inside I quipped" oh can I see your warrant ?
That sort of arseholery will get you turned into a vampire some day, mark my words.
16-06-2019, 08:55   #79
tedpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbc2019
I paid mine by monthly direct debit- easy

Yep, I do too, and save 4 cents a year

12 x 13.33 is 159.96 vs 160 upfront.

I feel like I've beat the system
(2) thanks from:
16-06-2019, 09:01   #80
irishgeo

Quote:
Quote:
I've spent a long time searching trying to find this out and finally just said to hell with it, I'll ask here.

I'm expecting a visit from the friendly tv licence inspector some day and it's giving me a bit of anxiety. I keep hearing this thing about "can he look through the front window and see a tv", and the answer is not from a public area no. But could he reasonably walk around the side of the house and peer in?

I've heard of them being very persistent and aggressive, but he wouldn't have the gall to come up to the front window on my property and look inside with me and the tv in there would he? There is absolutely no public area such as the road he can see a tv from.

He would have to willfully go past the front door and walk along the side of the house until he came to the front window. Alternatively he could park in the driveway, get out of the car and look in. But if you're in a driveway uninvited you're already trespassing right?

Can they get a warrant to search the house on probable cause?
They can get a warrant but need to be accompanied by a lawman- I invited my last inspector in and as he was making to put his foot inside I quipped" oh can I see your warrant ? " End of hassle,I wouldn't leave any stranger in , with a warrant yes ( no choice) if enough of that crap living in the Creggan in the 80/90s ref RUC/ Brit soldiers-
If you invited him in he doesn't need a warrant.
Advertisement
16-06-2019, 10:22   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgeo View Post

Yeah, that's the most idiotic thing you can do.
16-06-2019, 10:25   #82
Blueshoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedpan View Post
Yep, I do too, and save 4 cents a year

12 x 13.33 is 159.96 vs 160 upfront.

I feel like I've beat the system
My bill works out at : 160. X 0 =0
I'm making quite the annual saving
(3) thanks from:
16-06-2019, 10:49   #83
tedpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshoe
My bill works out at : 160. X 0 =0 I'm making quite the annual saving
A giant leap ahead of my idea
16-06-2019, 10:55   #84
Former Former

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgeo View Post
The entire story is made up, might as well make up a law to go with it!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-06-2019, 11:05   #85
jimd2

Quote:

Any strategies for getting them to piss off? For example would rudeness cause them to be more harsh or less likely to return?
Are you a wind up merchant?

Why don’t you put your efforts into earning the money to pay the license fee?These things are all part of living in a civilised society. None of us like paying for this especially with the diminishing use of the service and the salaries etc. but some things need to be paid for either directly or indirectly.

Or perhaps you are a troll.
Thanks from:
16-06-2019, 11:07   #86
corner of hells

Quote:

Quite the warrior, not only stood up to RUC men and the BA but also TV licence inspectors across the generations.
Songs will be written about you and men will weep in your memory.
16-06-2019, 11:09   #87
biko
Arbiter

Do the right thing.

Or do the wrong thing, it seems to be what you want to do.
And stress about doing the wrong thing.
16-06-2019, 11:18   #88
Sephiroth_dude
One Winged Angel

Mod

Thread closed as OP has posted in relevant forum.
Thanks from:
Thread Closed