Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you taking part in any LGBTQ events for pride month?

Comments

cgcsb wrote:
    If you aren't gay though, you don't really have a valid view on the matter, how could you, you've never been excluded from anything on the basis of sexuality.

If you aren't gay your opinion isn't valid because you aren't excluded because of your sexuality?

....riiiight.

cgcsb wrote: »
    You would have a point other than the lgbt union cup has plenty of straight participants. It isn't an exclusionary event, it's merely one that specifically supports gay people in sports, who otherwise often face intimidation and abuse. If you aren't gay though, you don't really have a valid view on the matter, how could you, you've never been excluded from anything on the basis of sexuality.

That bit there, that's your problem. That's a pretty good illustration of the worst bit about persecution complexes and another good reason for regular folk not interested in drama to roll their eyes and walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭cgcsb

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Nope, there has definitely been a push towards a kind of anti-right wing solidarity. E.g.

https://www.attitude.co.uk/article/members-of-the-lgbt-community-must-stand-behind-under-fire-muslims/19858/

lgbt_brum_web.jpg

I understand on a basic level, one persecuted group standing alongside another. But the fact remains that Islam has an even harder line against homosexuality than Christianity, but I've never seen any LGBT groups standing against persecution of Christians (which is on the rise globally).

To be clear, I wouldn't expect LGBT groups to stand along side Christians if those Christians say that homosexuality is sinful. But I'm confused as to why they do stand alongside Islam. Yes of course there are Muslim groups who play down traditional Islam's condemnation of homosexuality and even some groups of "queer Muslims" etc. But there are Christian groups of the same mindset.

Well first of all, gay people across the world don't actually have identical opinions.

Not wanting people to be attacked or discriminated against because they are muslims is a very different prospect than supporting extremist Islam

Also, some people are stupid and inconsistent. Case and point, a friend of mine who is a vegan, wouldn't eat an egg because it's immoral, supports human abortion on demand, except sex selective abortions, because of female empowerment or some such thing. She's also not gay, some people just don't think out their opinions properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

JayZeus wrote: »
    No, it's not. Just because Seamus is out to score brownie points doesn't mean he's right.

Simple fact is, most people just couldn't care less. Do what you do, let me do what I do, stop making a big bloody deal out of things and give over expecting me to applaud you being you.

That's it, in a nutshell.

Pride? Yawn.

for people who couldn;t care less you and others spend a lot of time here telling how much you couldn't care less. and nobody is expecting applause, least of all from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I can't understand the mindset of people who bring kids to events like a gay parade, just why?

Sexuality is an adult concern. I couldn't care less about anyones sexuality bar my own. I have no desire to oppress yours but I also have no desire to celebrate it, praise it or advance it. I just don't care, it's none of my business.

My daughters are 14 and 10. The 14 year old has gay friends and wanted to go in solidarity so we went with her and brought the youngest with us. It actually turned out to be a very family friendly day. Myself and my wife use to go to many gay friendly nights up in Dublin before we moved to the sticks 16 years ago so people being LGBT has never really been an issue for us. We had friends who struggled with their sexuality over the years and we're happy to show our kids that it doesn't matter who you are or who you love just as long as you're happy in your own skin. Like I said, I grew up around some very homophobic people so I'd rather my kids saw the other side of the picture tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Surely 1 day would suffice, when is the actual parade and the month etc on? I have no real issue with it even though I'm religious although would have thought a Friday to Sunday 3 day thing would do the job.

I also don't agree with the Gardai having it on their car for several reasons, copying UK police. Think it really demeans their position to be engaging in this type of twitter nonsense like the Brits and having spats on twitter in the comments. But then I don't agree with a lot of things the Gardai do so.

I can't understand the mindset of people who bring kids to events like a gay parade, just why?

The colours, the music etc, also adults who aren't homophobic don't have an issue with their children seeing people who are gay.

I was in Grand Canaria Pride a while ago and there was this straight couple with a toddler watching, the wee lad loved it. Some big muscley Spanish chaps with all the leather police gear came by and made such a fuss over the boy waving at him and making faces, he was loving life. :pac:

You see, non 'phobes can be quite happy.

No, it's not. Just because Seamus is out to score brownie points doesn't mean he's right.

Simple fact is, most people just couldn't care less. Do what you do, let me do what I do, stop making a big bloody deal out of things and give over expecting me to applaud you being you.

That's it, in a nutshell.

Pride? Yawn.

Basically the phobes want gay people to not have visibility, but are happy with the continuing daily bombardment of heterosexuality we've to deal with daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Surely 1 day would suffice, when is the actual parade and the month etc on? I have no real issue with it even though I'm religious although would have thought a Friday to Sunday 3 day thing would do the job.

I also don't agree with the Gardai having it on their car for several reasons, copying UK police. Think it really demeans their position to be engaging in this type of twitter nonsense like the Brits and having spats on twitter in the comments. But then I don't agree with a lot of things the Gardai do so.

The Pride March is only on Saturday 29th June. Corporations are making it a Pride month to milk as much out of it as possible.

If you aren't gay your opinion isn't valid because you aren't excluded because of your sexuality?

....riiiight.

Your opinion on lgbt rugby leagues, yeah it's pretty non-valid, neither sought nor required.

• Advertisement

That bit there, that's your problem. That's a pretty good illustration of the worst bit about persecution complexes and another good reason for regular folk not interested in drama to roll their eyes and walk away.

But you won't walk away will you? You'll keep gabbing about your vulnerable throat being penetrated.

Your opinion on lgbt rugby leagues, yeah it's pretty non-valid, neither sought nor required.

Who are you to decide whether or not my opinion is valid?

The colours, the music etc, also adults who aren't homophobic don't have an issue with their children seeing people who are gay.

I was in Grand Canaria Pride a while ago and there was this straight couple with a toddler watching, the wee lad loved it. Some big muscley Spanish chaps with all the leather police gear came by and made such a fuss over the boy waving at him and making faces, he was loving life. :pac:

You see, non 'phobes can be quite happy.
    I think it's the sexual aspect really, it's not really a place for children in many countries. I don't think it's prudish to object to children seeing it. Is it PG rating stuff. I don't know about the Dublin one.

Think it may be more productive if there was more done to help children being bullied than bringing them to the parade.

if lgbt people have a persecution complex it is because they have been persecuted. I'm old enough to remember when me having sex was illegal so away with your ****e.

everybody has the right to decide if your opinion is valid and your opinion on anything lgbt is invalid because it comes from a place of bigotry and hatred

I think it's the sexual aspect really, it's not really a place for children in many countries. I don't think it's prudish to object to children seeing it. Is it PG rating stuff. I don't know about the Dublin one.

Think it may be more productive if there was more done to help children being bullied than bringing them to the parade.

The only ones I've seen with full on nudity was in Toronto, everything in North America is quite extreme.

In Europe there's the odd risqué costume, but nothing you wouldn't see in a music video.

I don't view nudity is a non-PG myself but native English speakers tend to have Victorian style views on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I saw the Gardai Today said they were taking part in Dublin pride later this month and they showed some cars they transformed for the event.
    Personally myself I'm not doing anything for the month. I know a few people who'll probably attend Dublin pride.
    I know the event is becoming more and more popular with families in the last few years. Mostly with people close to the events. Is there anybody here travelling with their family to LGBTQ events this year?
    Or is it something that you've to do in your work place?

62198472_10157046976943001_823002930339643392_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=a7f5ef1804e4371ad702907ff70d4847&oe=5D88C69E

Mod Note Keep homophobia out of this thread!

I would much rather if the guards actually spent money on patrolling our streets rather than tarting up some cars so that their press office can just shout look at us and how progressive we are.

Hell some of those patrols might actually help some gay person who is being subjected to abuse because of their sexuality.

But you won't walk away will you? You'll keep gabbing about your vulnerable throat being penetrated.

Wrong poster. Hot head.

were you asked for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

everybody has the right to decide if your opinion is valid
    I deem your opinion invalid.

Did it work?

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »

Did it work?

define "work". i dont care that you find it invalid.

I see Pride Toronto has banned police from taking part in this years parade. Thats interesting.

biko wrote: »

Did it work?

Only if you're an LGBTQ everyone. The rest of us are 'phobes' and our opinions are invalid.

Maybe they are.
    Sexuality is still an adult concern, kids should not be involved.

We have crossed paths with events of this nature in Germany and UK before and were happy to have our children there. We did not play up the sexuality aspect of it all that much and most to all of what we saw did not either.

I kinda parsed it for them as an "everybody is different" parade when they asked what was going on. I told them that being "different" has historically been very hard for people - and for many people still is. And parades like this were for people to get together and be happy that being different is getting easier and easier - and to be proud that they are different.

For me though I am not black and white - zero or one - on the idea of children and sexuality. I think sexuality _is_ a concern for children but it is up to us as Adults to decide how and at what rate we feed it to them and introduce it to them.

I have never personally been of the parenting method where children should be protected from sexuality entirely until some arbitrary date and then you hit them with the whole lot in one go. From age 4 I started introducing in small ways the concepts of sex and sexuality to my children - and sex and sexuality continues to be an ongoing, developing and iterative conversation with them from then on.

I think it is too hard to think "Children should not be involved". They already are. Sexuality is permeated through all our media pretty much. It is in how we dress them. Entertain them. Communicate with them. And many children already are involved as they are the children of gay parents or know someone who is - or they are being bullied by their peers with gay slurs even from a young age before many of the kids using those slurs - or the targets of those slurs - even know what the words mean.

everybody has the right to decide if your opinion is valid and your opinion on anything lgbt is invalid because it comes from a place of bigotry and hatred

Pardon? You are completely incorrect. And I'd appreciate it if you retracted that accusation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

jmayo wrote: »
    I would much rather if the guards actually spent money on patrolling our streets rather than tarting up some cars so that their press office can just shout look at us and how progressive we are.

Hell some of those patrols might actually help some gay person who is being subjected to abuse because of their sexuality.

Yeah, I heard that if they hadn't 'tarted up the 2 cars' they could have hired 600 more Gardai and set up a dedicated anti-gang unit as well with the money they'd save :rolleyes:

Pardon? You are completely incorrect. And I'd appreciate it if you retracted that accusation.

retract it? not a hope.

were you asked for it?

I'm not sure you understand how discussion boards work.

Lehiff wrote: »
    Nope. No time for such degeneracy

thanks for joining ant telling us

• Advertisement

Yeah, I heard that if they hadn't 'tarted up the 2 cars' they could have hired 600 more Gardai and set up a dedicated anti-gang unit as well with the money they'd save :rolleyes:

wha' abou' de homeless!!! :pac:

Advertisement