Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you taking part in any LGBTQ events for pride month?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Stephen15 wrote: »
    All I'm saying is gays should keep their sexuality to themselves not go around banging the LGBT drum you know just like straight people don't push their straightness down gays throats.

How and when do straight people do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,143 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Beach isn't a sexualised environment, don;t worry I wouldn't bring my kids to a LGB parade march, just like I wouldn't bring them to a strip club either.

I'm sure the lack of your presence will be a real downer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Berserker wrote: »
    How and when do straight people do that?

They don't , that's the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Not a chance.

They don't , that's the point.

they dont? we are constantly bombarded with heterosexual sexuality. it is everywhere in society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

bigpink wrote: »
    The pride parade in Dublin just seems to all scummers on the piss/drugs

Must say, I didn't see that last year. We were gone by about 6.30pm though. We were up at it with our kids last year. Pretty decent family friendly day with a great carnival atmosphere if a tad overdone on the corporate sponsorship side but still, decent vibes throughout the day. I grew up around some very homophobic people so it's nice to see how things have changed. Can't say I saw one set of assless chaps the whole day. Going on holidays a week or so after pride so mightn't make it up this year to hold on to a bit of money but would probably be up otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

they dont? we are constantly bombarded with heterosexual sexuality. it is everywhere in society.
    That doesn't count though because it doesn't make them uncomfortable. We're talking about de queeors here and how they should pretend they don't exist so that a few people can feel a little bit less uncomfortable about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭cgcsb

no. and why does it have to be a month fgs?

The list of sponsors got too long for a day I'd say.

D3V!L wrote: »
    How does it differ from a non gay one ? Or at least a match where people don't have to tell you about where they put their willy.

Exactly, can you imagine the uproar if there was a straights only rugby tournament ?

Christ, can't people see the problem with identity politics ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It used to be a day didn't it, when did it switch to pride month?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    That doesn't count though because it doesn't make them uncomfortable. We're talking about de queeors here and how they should pretend they don't exist so that a few people can feel a little bit less uncomfortable about it.

Missing the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

biko wrote: »
    It used to be a day didn't it, when did it switch to pride month?

When people realised that they could make money from it.

mdk_kdm wrote: »
    Because society has deemed you must be subjected to rainbow flags and reminded of BLTQ issues on a daily basis.

And look at the entertainment it gives you.

It's a left wing virtue signalling agenda being shoved down our throats.
    Well maybe your throats shouldn't be so vulnerable and well presented for a shoving.

straight people don't push their straightness down gays throats.

HAve you ever had to sit through a Disney film as a child, heterosexuality is rammed down our throats from birth.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Why do the LGBTQ community regularly show such strong support for Islam and Muslim groups.

They don't. They'll probably show support for people who were shot in Auckland on a human level and things like that, but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Straight white male here.

Not specifically doing anything for it and I don't like big public gatherings like Paddy's Day or anything so that's not my gig anyway. I am a passively tolerant bloke with friends from all over the spectrum so I don't feel the need to 'prove' any tolerance. If there is a 5-a-side or other sponsored event for it I may take part alright.

I wonder how parts of the LGBTQI+ community feel about corporate sponsors co-opting the pride movement for their corporate ends.Is it positive or cynical? Anyways - best of luck to those who it affects.

Very mixed views on it. I take the cynical side.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

When did I mention George Soros? All I'm saying is gays should keep their sexuality to themselves not go around banging the LGBT drum you know just like straight people don't push their straightness down gays throats.

No never. We never see any straight PDAs in the street. Never see big massive straight weddings. Never see straight couples holding hands. Talk about hilarious shiite - straight people are always flaunting their heterosexuality.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Omackeral wrote: »
    So this is just gonna turn into another Muslim thread I take it? Like the gay women on the bus one.

Yep. Lets shoehorn in Muslim bashing. AH is lierally a parody of itself at this stage.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

cgcsb wrote: »
    They don't. They'll probably show support for people who were shot in Auckland on a human level and things like that, but that's about it.

Nope, there has definitely been a push towards a kind of anti-right wing solidarity. E.g.

https://www.attitude.co.uk/article/members-of-the-lgbt-community-must-stand-behind-under-fire-muslims/19858/

lgbt_brum_web.jpg

I understand on a basic level, one persecuted group standing alongside another. But the fact remains that Islam has an even harder line against homosexuality than Christianity, but I've never seen any LGBT groups standing against persecution of Christians (which is on the rise globally).

To be clear, I wouldn't expect LGBT groups to stand along side Christians if those Christians say that homosexuality is sinful. But I'm confused as to why they do stand alongside Islam. Yes of course there are Muslim groups who play down traditional Islam's condemnation of homosexuality and even some groups of "queer Muslims" etc. But there are Christian groups of the same mindset.

• Advertisement

tintin67 wrote: »
    I presume certain businesses have seen that there's a lot of money to be made out of it. Can't see any other reason it would be extended to a whole month.

Unless you're a cake shop / bakery

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I personally have no interest in it whatsoever - I'm not opposed per se, but I kinda find it gaudy and unnecessary. A month is fúcking ridiculous.

I can't understand the mindset of people who bring kids to events like a gay parade, just why?

Sexuality is an adult concern. I couldn't care less about anyones sexuality bar my own. I have no desire to oppress yours but I also have no desire to celebrate it, praise it or advance it. I just don't care, it's none of my business.

rusty cole wrote: »
    Unless you're a cake shop / bakery

still plenty of money to be made. If they dont want that money that is their lookout.

I personally have no interest in it whatsoever - I'm not opposed per se, but I kinda find it gaudy and unnecessary. A month is fúcking ridiculous.

I can't understand the mindset of people who bring kids to events like a gay parade, just why?

Sexuality is an adult concern. I couldn't care less about anyones sexuality bar my own. I have no desire to oppress yours but I also have no desire to celebrate it, praise it or advance it. I just don't care, it's none of my business.

maybe the parents of those kids are gay themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

maybe the parents of those kids are gay themselves?

Maybe they are.

Sexuality is still an adult concern, kids should not be involved.

Why do LGBTQ people revolve their whole lives around their sexuality ?

It doesn't for anyone, but that it annoys the likes of you is a huge incentive.
    Obsessed with it! We are all equal now, just get on with it like the rest of us do!
    How do you recon that? we've been legally equal for 4 years and we were legally actively oppressed up until 18 years ago.

But legal and social don't always match.

seamus wrote: »

That's it in a nutshell

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In case there is interest from peeps in Galway
    Dates and venues

http://galwaypride.com/
    https://www.instagram.com/galway.pride/
    http://amachlgbt.com/

cgcsb wrote: »
    That's it in a nutshell

No, it's not. Just because Seamus is out to score brownie points doesn't mean he's right.

Simple fact is, most people just couldn't care less. Do what you do, let me do what I do, stop making a big bloody deal out of things and give over expecting me to applaud you being you.

That's it, in a nutshell.

Pride? Yawn.

• Advertisement

Exactly, can you imagine the uproar if there was a straights only rugby tournament ?

Christ, can't people see the problem with identity politics ?

You would have a point other than the lgbt union cup has plenty of straight participants. It isn't an exclusionary event, it's merely one that specifically supports gay people in sports, who otherwise often face intimidation and abuse. If you aren't gay though, you don't really have a valid view on the matter, how could you, you've never been excluded from anything on the basis of sexuality.

Advertisement