Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Met Éireann Website (beta)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Discodog wrote: »
    I use the Meteoradar app which works well.

I thought the radar, on the new site, is high res. Heavy drizzle in Galway isn't showing up.

I don't think making the graphics any better can in any way improve the precision of the radar. Just because it looks better doesn't mean its more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

my3cents wrote: »
    I don't think making the graphics any better can in any way improve the precision of the radar. Just because it looks better doesn't mean its more accurate.

I thought that high res can pick up smaller drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Drizzle and mist don't show that well on precip radar. Tiny water droplets don't have good radar reflectivity.

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/31945/why-does-weather-radar-not-report-some-precipitation
    Drizzle is a trifecta with WX radar.

First the extremely small particles tend to be stealth, and have much much less reflectivity than larger droplets or snow.

Second, drizzle tends to be low to the ground, and to the radar processor, may look like the ground to anti-clutter algorithms. The low to the ground can also impact how much energy is radiated there, also an anti-ground clutter measure.

Third, drizzle by it's nature tends to be rather stationary. The air it is in is normally stable, and there is little movement for a Doppler processor to pull out. The radar processor handles echo data, not just Doppler data, but the Doppler data is used to enhance the sensitivity of the unit. Generally it works well for moisture which is moving, but drizzle has little motion. Except downward, which is orthogonal to the radar, and therefore not a factor.

Similarly, most clouds, and smoke may not show up on WX radar. Birds may, as their radar cross section (RCS) is larger, then tend to move, and they tend to move as a mass of points, all which make them more easily trackable with radar.

In summary, the reasons why Doppler WX radar tends to not show drizzle well are: 1. Extremely small particles, 2. drizzle is low to the ground, and 3.drizzle is stationary and therefore not enhanced by Doppler processors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

the sat images are two days old.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Sick and tired of being given the forecast for Dublin and Leinster! It's about as relevant to me as the forecast for Johannesburg! When's this going to be fixed!

And it's finally fixed! Back in Munster.

Feeling a little less sluggish too, moving in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,813 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Anyone else finding the temperature radar hard to read?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Anyone else finding the temperature radar hard to read?

Yup, the temperature forecast is farily useless.

I see loads of different colours, but no actual figures and no key to figure out what the colours mean!

Yup, the temperature forecast is farily useless.

I see loads of different colours, but no actual figures and no key to figure out what the numbers mean!

Depending where the numbers are on the map you can't always read them at all.

my3cents wrote: »
    Depending where the numbers are on the map you can't always read them at all.

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Is there a link to yesterday's weather for all stations from this new portal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Joe Public wrote: »
    Is there a link to yesterday's weather for all stations from this new portal.

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/observations/yesterday

sryanbruen wrote: »

I was trying to browse in from my phone rather than use an app and this is what I get. Ok using windows laptop as you have shown.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=450316&stc=1&d=1525819845

450316.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Joe Public wrote: »
    I was trying to browse in from my phone rather than use an app and this is what I get. Ok using windows laptop as you have shown.

As far as I know, you can only get to the page on mobile via the link above I gave or simply searching met.ie yesterday's weather into google.

TpxYtM6.png

sryanbruen wrote: »

Works for me!

However, the data I am seeing at the moment is inaccurate. It says the 8th of May, Tuesday, which would be yesterday now, had a Max of 20.1c. Perhaps it's showing the weather for the 7th?

Works for me!

However, the data I am seeing at the moment is inaccurate. It says the 8th of May, Tuesday, which would be yesterday now, had a Max of 20.1c. Perhaps it's showing the weather for the 7th?

Yes, the only way I can reach yesterday's data on my mobile is by typing in the full link you gave. Trying to get there via archive.met.ie only redirects me to m.met.ie which doesn't have the details.

All thanks to muddle eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

This was one of my two issues before

Pathetic isnt it

I was going to say how good the local forcasts had been till today....... :rolleyes:

This morning the forecast showed it as rain forecast for the afternoon just the same as it has shown all week. Come midday the forecast shows no rain for the afternoon and its p!ssed it down all afternoon. That has to be a screw up somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ollie103

Local forecast seem confusing about tomorrow (Friday 11 May): national and regional forecast is for rain but the short-term forcast for Malahide is for cloudy weather with only some rain in the mid-afternoon!

Is it normally this wrong or so different to the national and regional forecast text?

Hopefully the screen shot I took has attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

North Dublin is forecast to be in the rain shadow of the Wicklow mountains tomorrow hence only a couple hours of rain in the afternoon

tempresult_bpb0.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Amazingly my coal fired Opera 12.18 (at least 5 years old) displays this site better than Chrome 47, which cannot display anything at all really beyond text. A total mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

Amazingly my coal fired Opera 12.18 (at least 5 years old) displays this site better than Chrome 47, which cannot display anything at all really beyond text. A total mess.

Chrome 47 was released in 2015. Current version is 66. Upgrade.

Well after a couple of weeks use of the new site and app, the conclusion is: I don't like them. I think the temperature chart for the country in particular is terrible. Gone back to using the archive site on a Windows PC and via Safari on my iphone. Deleted the ios app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yup me too.

Its unusable on the phone

Maybe when head of technology takes over it will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,277 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The facilities on the new site are good, but the ease of use is poor.

I love the rainfall forecast, but I'd love it more if
    1) I could have a setting to make it the default map that appears for me when the page opens, and
    2) it would remember my zoomed in position on Dublin.

Without these fairly simple facilities, I have to do the same 6 clicks every time I open the site, which is a bit of a PITA.

is it time to call Joe Duffy?

Had been working fine until today, where my location is now permanently set as Dublin again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I decided to wait a while before posting,the only thing I like is there radar, there forecast nearly always Contradicts there daily out look drive's me mad,there 5day outlook changes so often it's near on impossible to plan out door work,for example the five day outlook has changed 3 times since 7 am this morning

ZX7R wrote: »
    I decided to wait a while before posting,the only thing I like is there radar, there forecast nearly always Contradicts there daily out look drive's me mad,there 5day outlook changes so often it's near on impossible to plan out door work,for example the five day outlook has changed 3 times since 7 am this morning

I don't even look at the 5 day outlook, it's completely bonkers. It could say 11c and rain, and when you click on the breakdown it could say 23c and sun. Doesn't match their forecast to any extent either. I don't know where they pulled it out from, but it's actually hilarious.

And on my own note, I'm still in Dublin and not West Clare according to the app, and because of this I can't see the Munster forecast. Perhaps users should be able to input their own location? Dublin's weather isn't useful for me at all, and many others. If someone doesn't have their GPS on, why should they be prevented from seeing the weather from anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I don't even look at the 5 day outlook, it's completely bonkers. It could say 11c and rain, and when you click on the breakdown it could say 23c and sun. Doesn't match their forecast to any extent either. I don't know where they pulled it out from, but it's actually hilarious.

And on my own note, I'm still in Dublin and not West Clare according to the app, and because of this I can't see the Munster forecast. Perhaps users should be able to input their own location? Dublin's weather isn't useful for me at all, and many others. If someone doesn't have their GPS on, why should they be prevented from seeing the weather from anywhere else?
    Yes I agree with you don't see why location has to be turned on all the time,5 day outlook has changed twice again, also there current conditions for Kildare was showing light rain all morning and reality was sun and broken cloud.
    I personally believe met earann need more human input in there forecasts and less reliance on computer models and more funding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have to say - having waited a while - that the old android app was much more user friendly.
    I prefer the old radar. I don't see the point in 5 minute intervals. It is a pain in the ass to use the new app.

Edit: Any idea why the Europe visible satellite images don't show the whole of Spain, Italy, etc
    It would seem a necessary thing with many people going on holiday there.

Advertisement