Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a tv licence inspector come into your driveway and look in your front window?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

OP.

Just don't answer the door and get on with your life please.

I don't believe your that worried anyway, it sounds like your bored and just made it up. Go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,395 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Hal3000 wrote: »
    The postman walks down my driveway and puts his hand in my letterbox, is that ok like?

It's 2019,nobody is judging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

callaway92 wrote: »
    Or you know.. just pay your TV licence

Lol at the fools who do that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you have a subscription to cable tv, or sky tv they will visit you,
    they have acess to the customer data from cable tv and sky .of course its easy to watch tv on a laptop or a pc monitor,if you have broadband
    as long as you do not own a tv ,
    you do not need a license .
    People come into your drive way all the time, the postman ,people collecting for charity ,
    of course some people have large house,s , the gate is locked ,
    theres a post box beside the gate .
    At one time i would get people calling , do you want to sign up for broadband, sky tv etc once every 2 months .
    tv license inspectors wear ordinary clothes, theres no way of identifying them unless you open the door,
    and talk to them.
    Are you just going to stop opening the door to everyone ?
    in my experience they are all male, they do not call after 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,329 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

tupenny wrote: »
    Lol at the fools who do that

The combined intellect of a million fools would not match yours.

https://www.thejournal.ie/tv-licence-bought-ireland-3793064-Jan2018/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

If you don't watch rte do not pay the license fee.
    Why would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

If they do, it's invasion of privacy

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Any strategies for getting them to piss off?

Yes...buy a TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you have a tv and they find out they can bring you to court,
    whether you watch rte or not is irrelevant,
    the tv license pays for rte staff, radio etc tg4,
    not just for rte tv ,
    they have at least 6 radio channels .
    saorview broadcasts bbc,itv, etc , not just rte tv channels .
    rte operates the broadcasting network and also has channels on sky tv,
    it costs money to broadcast tv and radio and to run a tv transmission network all over the country.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Blueshoe wrote: »
    If you don't watch rte do not pay the license fee.
    Why would you?

This bizarre attitude that a TV licence only gives you access to Rte needs to change. Rte own the transmitters through which all the other TV channels on saorview are broadcast so the TV licence actually pays for all the channels not just Rte.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

riclad wrote: »
    IF you have a tv and they find out they can bring you to court,
    whether you watch rte or not is irrelevant,
    not just for rte tv ,

All are muck. If you don't use them why pay for them

• Registered Users Posts: 20,395 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You think completely wrongly. The issuing agent is An Post and the licence inspectors are all agents of An Post. There is nothing in the legislation regarding the requirement for a Garda being present. An officer is an employee granted authority to act in the role of inspector.

I think where the confusion may be is the word premises. Premises relates to the building and all the adjacent land.
    So "may enter the premises" means approach the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hellboi

I have now, thanks!

We kind of call the south-facing side of the house the front as it's next to the driveway. We have no windows facing the road, but the front door is facing the road. So it's like there's two sides of the house that are called the front. I never thought of it like that before.

Any strategies for getting them to piss off? For example would rudeness cause them to be more harsh or less likely to return?

My husband was rude to one and the TV inspector got a warrant to search our house. We came home a few days later to find the gardai sitting outside our house. We drove on by in panic cos we didn't know why they were there. A few months later my husband was reporting his bike stolen and the Garda mentioned that there was a warrant outstanding for a TV licence search. We hadn't got a TV and we were sick and tired of telling them so hence the reason my husband was a tad rude to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

IF you have a subscription to cable tv, or sky tv they will visit you,
    they have acess to the customer data from cable tv and sky .of course its easy to watch tv on a laptop or a pc monitor,if you have broadband
    as long as you do not own a tv ,

I'm doubtful they have access to Sky/cable box records. That's sensitive commercial information, it's also private and should be protected by GDPR and other rules.

Besides my only current tv subscription is dodgy to begin with. ;)
    People come into your drive way all the time, the postman ,people collecting for charity ,
    of course some people have large house,s , the gate is locked ,
    theres a post box beside the gate

yeah this is true, hence my questioning. I would contend that going up to the door is generally fair use, based on how the owner may potentially wish for them to be there. However any advancements beyond the door such as in my situation does not appear to have any potential benefits for the owner barring the case of an emergency and hence it should be outlawed and any information gleaned from it rendered inadmissible.
    Hellboi wrote: »
    My husband was rude to one and the TV inspector got a warrant to search our house. We came home a few days later to find the gardai sitting outside our house. We drove on by in panic cos we didn't know why they were there. A few months later my husband was reporting his bike stolen and the Garda mentioned that there was a warrant outstanding for a TV licence search. We hadn't got a TV and we were sick and tired of telling them so hence the reason my husband was a tad rude to them.

Sorry to hear that. Seems like politeness is preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Alright but I warn him what he sees cannot be unseen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The TV licence inspector has to prove that live broadcasts are being watched. And when the warrant is obtained, they must be accompanied by a member of An Garda Siochána.

Which would represent a needless waste of public resources.

They dont, you just need the capability. Even if your TV is just hooked up to a video player, you still need the license .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Elaborate on how rude your husband was please.

I love the image of two cops sitting outside your gaff waiting to search it for a Television. That really happened like. Did you panic and duck in the passenger seat or did you manage to stone cold it and make like nothing happened?

The best part of your story is how the cop down the station said there was an o/s warrant. Did your husband not ask for a copy?

Do you reckon your husband is still being rude to people? Do you think if he watched more Telly he might learn some manners?

IAMAMORON wrote: »

I love the image of two cops sitting outside your gaff waiting to search it for a Television. That really happened like. Did you panic and duck in the passenger seat or did you manage to stone cold it and make like nothing happened?

The best part of your story is how the cop down the station said there was an o/s warrant. Did your husband not ask for a copy?

Do you reckon your husband is still being rude to people? Do you think if he watched more Telly he might learn some manners?

Can you please go away, this is the second time I have to mark your post for either trolling or sheer stupidity in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 magentur

It's hardly worth it for the ****e RTÉ churn out and Love Island...
    not just for rte tv ,

Don't think that any of the license money is used for Love Island

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You could just pay the TV license and remove the anxiety

• Advertisement

Can you please go away, this is the second time I have to mark your post for either trolling or sheer stupidity in this thread.

How is this trolling or stupidity. Hellboi's post seems like a illogical made up storey and IAMORAN was simply pointing this out. Gardai waiting outside house and outstanding warrants to search for a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

The only country in the world that can jail you for non payment and that jail has TV which does not require you to have a licence...win win for me!
    except for the soap in the shower part...that would take the sheen off of it!

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    The only country in the world that can jail you for non payment and that jail has TV which does not require you to have a licence...win win for me!
    except for the soap in the shower part...that would take the sheen off of it!

Depends on one's orientation. It might add to the experience.

magentur wrote: »
    How is this trolling or stupidity. Hellboi's post seems like a illogical made up storey and IAMORAN was simply pointing this out. Gardai waiting outside house and outstanding warrants to search for a TV.

I don't see anything illogical about gardai waiting outside someone's house for them to come home or about a warrant to search for a tv licence. Especially if they just came and were looking around to make sure there was noone home.

If you did think you had a good reason to think a story was made up just either ignore it or state that. Don't come in like you're all chummy and laughing about it, try to act like an adult. There's nothing funny about making up a story.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just pay the fcuking thing and be done with it. Do you think the rest of us enjoy paying for our TV licences? But if there were less people like you sponging then at least some of what we're shelling out wouldn't have to go towards paying the salaries of so many TV licence inspectors. Who knows, we might even get a few better TV programmes with the money they save. Unlikely, I know, but I prefer to think that than the money ending up in Tubridy's next pay cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So why didn’t you or him invite the inspector in your home to see for him/herself???

We hadn't got a TV and we were sick and tired of telling them so hence the reason my husband was a tad rude to them.
    So why didn’t you or him invite the inspector in your home to see for him/herself???

On any of the multiple times that the Inspector called to your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

In answer to the OP - I don't know...I never had a tv licence inspector call or look in the window. I've always had a licence. I do believe (though Srameen may correct me) that having a set is enough - You could be watching a DVD you still need a licence.

Also the licence fees goes towards a lot more than RTE's TV output. There's a lot of TV and radio docs funded by the licence fee. Worth the yearly fee imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

OP.

Just don't answer the door and get on with your life please.

I don't believe your that worried anyway, it sounds like your bored and just made it up. Go to bed.

Agreed. There's much more important after hours business that needs attending to.

• Advertisement

If you did think you had a good reason to think a story was made up just either ignore it or state that. Don't come in like you're all chummy and laughing about it, try to act like an adult. There's nothing funny about making up a story.

Perfectly reasonable to make fun of illogical inconsistencies in a story one believes to be untrue rather that outright calling someone a liar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement