Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Marathon 2020

• 23-05-2020 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Apologies if there's already a thread on this, I went through a few pages and didn't see.

I emailed the organisers the days of the DCM cancellation announcement and they said as it stands it's still going ahead and they are following government guidelines.

Is there anyone else signed up or have ran this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

I deferred an entry to the Half last yr so I guess I'm entered but I'd forgotten until I spotted this thread. To be honest I've put all thoughts of races out of my head for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

ariana` wrote: »
    I deferred an entry to the Half last yr so I guess I'm entered but I'd forgotten until I spotted this thread. To be honest I've put all thoughts of races out of my head for this year.

Keep the head up!! :D

I'm still going ahead and training for it; I will run a marathon on the day regardless. But it would be great to get a trip to the West and run the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 limlad2018

Does anyone have a update if it's going ahead as planned?I'm planning on doing the marathon. I've emailed the organisers no reply. A lot of clubs making decisions now Tarmonbarry 3/4 going ahead same weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

A lot of later races might go ahead now.
    Its great seeing races advertised once again.from august onwards it looks good if the Covid numbers stay low.
    Galway bay marathon is a lovely marathon and great vibe too it.

A lot of later races might go ahead now.
    Its great seeing races advertised once again.from august onwards it looks good if the Covid numbers stay low.
    Galway bay marathon is a lovely marathon and great vibe too it.
    hard to know it has big numbers fingers crossed be good to have something to train for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Be great to see a separate thread listing confirmed races

TbL

Got an email back from the organisers still undecided too early in the government roadmap.

Be great to see a separate thread listing confirmed races

TbL

Pop up races have a good list of races.
    EOI will be starting back up soon.
    MCI -nothing as of yet

limlad2018 wrote: »
    Got an email back from the organisers still undecided too early in the government roadmap.

Fingers and toes crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sussex18

The numbers in the marathon are capped at 200 or 250 aren't they? But like Limerick it's the 10K/6 Mile that makes money. They'd hardly run the marathon without that?

• Advertisement

Sussex18 wrote: »
    The numbers in the marathon are capped at 200 or 250 aren't they? But like Limerick it's the 10K/6 Mile that makes money. They'd hardly run the marathon without that?

350ish finishers of the Marathon last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Does anybody know what the course is like? I'm guessing that they don't have Pacers or anything? Water stations? Cheers

Does anybody know what the course is like? I'm guessing that they don't have Pacers or anything? Water stations? Cheers

https://rungalwaybay.com/full-marathon/

They usually do have pacers but I imagine they won't have them this year to help with social distancing - large packs tend to gather around pacers. But I'm only guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Flat, very flat.

Marathon does 4 loops out by the Salthill hotels and back in with a detour down by the caravan park. Half Marathon does 2.

Definitely a PB course on a calm day IMO. It's where I ran my PB for a HM anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Course is a 10k loop x 4 with a bit extra at the start to bring it to 42k. Was the only marathon I've ever ran on loops. Thought it would mess with my head but it was the opposite when I got going. Just counted to 4 as opposed to 26. One of my favourite marathons. Last year was rough weather but year before was perfect for running. Plenty of water stations on route

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Thanks for the info guys. Really starting to think that a small Irish marathon without all the frills might be the best chance this autumn. As opposed to a European one - various countries seem to be struggling again.

I'm 2 weeks into a marathon programme for Galway so I'd love to know if it's going ahead or not! Long runs hard to do if theres no goal. Think the chances of it going ahead are 50/50 was more confident when the initial reopening plan was announced. Anybody any insider info? Surely a decision to be made soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

I'm 2 weeks into a marathon programme for Galway so I'd love to know if it's going ahead or not! Long runs hard to do if theres no goal. Think the chances of it going ahead are 50/50 was more confident when the initial reopening plan was announced. Anybody any insider info? Surely a decision to be made soon?

They appear to think that it will go ahead at the moment - saw someone post a query response from them online. I suppose it depends on the govt numbers on gatherings after the 20th of July. I think it will be at 500 outdoors then and could be increased. What sort of numbers do they get - around 2000-3000?

ToriV wrote: »
    They appear to think that it will go ahead at the moment - saw someone post a query response from them online. I suppose it depends on the govt numbers on gatherings after the 20th of July. I think it will be at 500 outdoors then and could be increased. What sort of numbers do they get - around 2000-3000?

Last year's marathon results features 365 names. There is also a Half Marathon & 10k but the races start at different times (8:30am, 12:15pm & 10am respectively) so it depends on whether they are allowed the max at each event or for all events combined.

• Advertisement

They may drop the 10k and just leave the half and full marathons to keep the numbers down. I know a few people have started marathon plans for this. Enniscrone is the same weekend think they are adapting the same approach waiting to see the next government reopening phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

They may drop the 10k and just leave the half and full marathons to keep the numbers down. I know a few people have started marathon plans for this. Enniscrone is the same weekend think they are adapting the same approach waiting to see the next government reopening phase.

You'll find the money is made in the 10km event and not others. If they are in it for the money then they wouldn't dropping 10km event for a few hundred marathon runners. I guess half was probably somewhere around 1000 numbers.

The green light was given for the smaller marathons.there are loads of options now,so keep the training up and increase it as the weeks go on.
    There is at least 1 a day the first week of august going ahead ðŸ˜
    Lilliput is going too

The green light was given for the smaller marathons.there are loads of options now,so keep the training up and increase it as the weeks go on.
    There is at least 1 a day the first week of august going ahead ðŸ˜
    Lilliput is going too

Any other relatively flat courses that you know of? Will keep my options open if this doesn't go ahead.

rizzee wrote: »
    Any other relatively flat courses that you know of? Will keep my options open if this doesn't go ahead.

What part of the country are you in ?
    The spartan way is nice and flat along the canal in Kildare.
    EOI are holding the lusk marathon which is mainly flat (well apart from 1 hill ) which is loops

What part of the country are you in ?
    The spartan way is nice and flat along the canal in Kildare.
    EOI are holding the lusk marathon which is mainly flat (well apart from 1 hill ) which is loops

I'm in Meath but willing to travel anywhere in the country!

Thanks for that, I'll take a look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭freddie_

Just wondering is anyone signed up for this?
    I have and am hoping it goes ahead. Not mad about the course but seems flat enough.

freddie_ wrote: »
    I have and am hoping it goes ahead. Not mad about the course but seems flat enough.

Signed up a good few months ago. Really looking forward to it. Should be the right type of course to achieve a PB. Really hope it goes ahead.

rizzee wrote: »
    Signed up a good few months ago. Really looking forward to it. Should be the right type of course to achieve a PB. Really hope it goes ahead.

Pb ?
    Sub 3.30
    I must have a look ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

freddie_ wrote: »

I'm training for it with the hope it goes ahead anyway. Course been flat is a plus, but negatives are the loops and wind also a potential player there. Fingers crossed.

Advertisement