Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodshavings (general woodworking chat thread)

• 28-10-2020 11:33am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭

checked with Kadman, he was fine with the idea of a general chat thread; for the type of chat which might not deserve its own thread, or simple questions with hopefully simple answers.

my starter for ten - i have some west system two stage epoxy which is well over a year old, and i know it has a shelf life, but does that apply just to the hardener, or to both the resin and hardener? i.e. will the resin itself be OK and i just need to buy new hardener?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Not sure about the epoxy. But its also something I might have to delve into,

as I have just turned a bowl with significant woodworm damage. Epoxy might solve it.

My son( the special prostethics tech for the film industry), uses every epoxy available.

And he would know, but wont be back from Prague film shoot for a couple of weeks,

so if you dont get the answer by then, I am sure he will have it for you.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

.. will the resin itself be OK and i just need to buy new hardener?

I am 68 and still on the original hardener. :D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Does it still set up as quickly as it did a few years back? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

I would be more concerned with the resin as it will "age ", as the resin may thicken after several years.
    The hardner will be fine as long as stored properly.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Does it still set up as quickly as it did a few years back? :D

It just depends on the catalyst involved. :D:cool::rolleyes::D

• Advertisement

It just depends on the catalyst involved. :D:cool::rolleyes::D

I usually find the Lee Valley catalogue or a visit to a Festool showroom is enough to activate my hardener anyway.

I think I might have to get a the banning stick...........if I had one:D

Never had a banning on woodcraft, and now we have 3 candidates up for the title.:p

Must be a level 5 lockdown thing:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I would be more concerned with the resin as it will "age ", as the resin may thicken after several years.
    The hardner will be fine as long as stored properly.
    now that you mention it, the resin has remained clear but is quite gloopy. the hardener has darkened, which is why i assumed it'd 'go off' first.

MB
    The colour change is normal with age.

Take a gander here,it will hopefully answer some questions:https://www.westsystem.com/the-105-system/storage-shelf-life/

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭bamayang

checked with Kadman, he was fine with the idea of a general chat thread; for the type of chat which might not deserve its own thread, or simple questions with hopefully simple answers.

my starter for ten - i have some west system two stage epoxy which is well over a year old, and i know it has a shelf life, but does that apply just to the hardener, or to both the resin and hardener? i.e. will the resin itself be OK and i just need to buy new hardener?

I bought the West system at the start of the year from a boat supplies company in Ireland. Your man selling it said he had epoxy batches sitting in his shed 5 years old that were still A1 to use.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fantasy 'tool that doesn't exist' wishlist?

for me, it'd be a type of shaped forstner bit for cutting eggcup cups.
    i'm making a load for christmas presents on the lathe at the moment, and the least creative but most time consuming part is turning the inside of the cup, which obviously is the bit you want uniformly reproduced. a bit i could stick on the jacob's chuck to quickly scoop that out would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

for me, it'd be a type of shaped forstner bit for cutting eggcup cups.
    i'm making a load for christmas presents on the lathe at the moment, and the least creative but most time consuming part is turning the inside of the cup, which obviously is the bit you want uniformly reproduced. a bit i could stick on the jacob's chuck to quickly scoop that out would be great.
    Why don't you just order the festool egg cup making tool. Only €6,000.00

i'd love to, but it's made to american egg standards, not european sizing.

Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.cifall.se/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=491

Great company to deal with too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Must show this to the other half for Xmas present ideas.

its about 11 to 1 Xrate
    https://www.x-rates.com/calculator/?from=SEK&to=EUR&amount=11

Whats the VAT and shipping costs like?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

i'd love to, but it's made to american egg standards, not european sizing.

:D;):cool::):rolleyes:

Must show this to the other half for Xmas present ideas.

its about 11 to 1 Xrate
    https://www.x-rates.com/calculator/?from=SEK&to=EUR&amount=11

Whats the VAT and shipping costs like?

Swedish VAT is 25% and they don't list a postage fee to Ireland, but if you ask them they'll arrange it. Local postage is €6, so I'd expect €10-12 or so. Not cheap, not awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

A wire brush head for an oscillating tool. Was doing something the other week using a wire brush on a drill and it was a bit catastrophic. Too much speed, too little control, and after about 15 minutes my wrists were killing me. I thought, "Sure there must be a multi tool attachment like that."

Searched and searched to no avail. Best closest thing i could find was a youtube vid where some lad had taken a small, toothbrush sized wire brush and screwed it to a reciprocating saw blade.

Ah lads, ye'll have to try harder.. :P

Not cheap, but they do exist:

https://khr-online.com/products/corner-texturing-brush?variant=36769741775

I think we should make you the official woodcraft Gofer.

Now go and find me a woodturning chuck with a M39 4Pitch thread that will fit my lathe.

Sent numerous e mails to Irish (Grrr) suppliers over the last few weeks,
    and the lazy sods never even answered.

So make it so JZ;)

• Advertisement

Yowza!! :eek:

I may have a bash at the screwing a toothbrush to a Sawzall blade....

Be kinda of a MadMax meets MacGyver lookin thing...

kadman wrote: »
    I think we should make you the official woodcraft Gofer.

Now go and find me a woodturning chuck with a M39 4Pitch thread that will fit my lathe.

Sent numerous e mails to Irish (Grrr) suppliers over the last few weeks,
    and the lazy sods never even answered.

So make it so JZ;)

What's the lathe again?

And the chuck - Dimensions and mounting hole specs would be helpful.

First port of call for me in any case would be to email tony@lathes.co.** with the ** being 'uk' - Send him the specs and mounting dimensions and see if he can supply something 'turnkey' for you. He's good with things like that.

After that, I'd be looking for:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/M39-X-4-THREADED-BACKPLATE-ADAPTER-FOR-4-LATHE-CHUCKS-3900-3306/353138653839?hash=item5238b43a8f:g:mLwAAOSwENFfDOrn

or

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/THREADED-M39-X-4-BACKPLATE-ADAPTER-FOR-6-3-OR-4-JAW-LATHE-CHUCKS-3900-3339/353138649011?hash=item5238b427b3:g:oawAAOSwkzJfDOdw

Any decent machine shop would be able to machine the adapter and drill/tap to mount the chuck body.

would a paddle bit like that cause a lot of tearout, i wonder?

Romer wrote: »
    using a wire brush on a drill and it was a bit catastrophic. Too much speed, too little control, and after about 15 minutes my wrists were killing me.
    a mains drill?
    i recently stripped a bike frame using a wire brush on a battery drill (the dewalt one which woodies seem to do on special reasonably regularly) and it worked a treat.

would a paddle bit like that cause a lot of tearout, i wonder?

It's what I thought also, but there's an even bigger version commonly used in the nordic countries to bore out the centre of kuksa cups. They're usually self-made but they work very well.

C.I. Fall are a really old drill bit maker from Sweden. Even today, their stuff is well respected. I have a couple of sets of their augers, a vintage set and a modern hex shanked set and they're very good. The swedes don't put up with crap for their woodworking :)

a mains drill?
    i recently stripped a bike frame using a wire brush on a battery drill (the dewalt one which woodies seem to do on special reasonably regularly) and it worked a treat.

It was a battery one. One of the Milwaukees. I was removing lime plaster (and it just occurred to me that this is the Woodcraft zone) from a stone wall. The balls out spinning was taking me for a ride whereas what was needed was a gentle agitation. Not to worry, I'll figure something out.

What's the lathe again?

And the chuck - Dimensions and mounting hole specs would be helpful.

First port of call for me in any case would be to email tony@lathes.co.** with the ** being 'uk' - Send him the specs and mounting dimensions and see if he can supply something 'turnkey' for you. He's good with things like that.

After that, I'd be looking for:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/M39-X-4-THREADED-BACKPLATE-ADAPTER-FOR-4-LATHE-CHUCKS-3900-3306/353138653839?hash=item5238b43a8f:g:mLwAAOSwENFfDOrn

or

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/THREADED-M39-X-4-BACKPLATE-ADAPTER-FOR-6-3-OR-4-JAW-LATHE-CHUCKS-3900-3339/353138649011?hash=item5238b427b3:g:oawAAOSwkzJfDOdw

Any decent machine shop would be able to machine the adapter and drill/tap to mount the chuck body.

Thats what I am talking about........seems to be better options outside of Ireland, all the time.

I tried to give my business to home grown suppliers, but they cant even be bothered to reply to my e mails. Even though I would be spending mucho sheckles here.

I'll give that guy an e mail and see how things go.

Lathe is a centauro, had it for about 20 years. Thread size is M39 4pitch.Total length including outboard 12' I think.

Chuck would be large size as opposed to smaller. Bowl work from 22 " diameter inboard to 44" diameter outboard. Motor 3 hp with a Variable frequency drive controller.
    Magic bit of kit.

Currently using a 3 jaw chuck which has catapulted the last 2 bowls this week,
    upwards and outwards due to holding only by jaws. One yew one ash.

Needless to say I am pulling the last of my hair out. I am currently working on a 15" diameter monkey puzzle bowl...........fingers crossed.

I have already seen the two ebay items.
    Thats a last resort, as i have to mess with us post, time ect.

And then get someone else to prep the adaptor to fit. I was hoping for a solution
    that had a quicker outcome. And then when I have to get some machine shop to machine the adaptor
    to the new lathe body, its just another element that I am worried about.

Any problem with eccentricity , the it becomes....it was not me its the US end, ect,ect,ect

Thats why I really wanted a home grown solution, but both major woodturning suppliers here
    never even replied. Thats why I have lost total faith in an Irish outcome.

Naas and tipp?

• Advertisement

Donegal and Naas,

Just got an e mail from Naas, ha,ha,

Advertisement