Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carto tanks

• 05-03-2012 9:12pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been trying various different devices with varying degrees of success, and mostly I have been pretty happy with them for the simple fact that they weren't cartos. But last week I got stuck and had to go back to one for a few hours, and I actually quite liked it. Then today the imist and stardust just really weren't satisfying me, so I went back to the cart (a smoktech LR DCC), and I'm really really liking it. So I'm thinking that I may have come a full circle and be back to using cartos again :) But I want to avoid the problems I had with them before, the main one being that I always overfilled them leading to tons of leakage out the bottom.

So long story short, I want to try a carto tank and have a few questions if anyone has any experience of them
    • The chibi and the mini-sub seem to be best with not much to choose between them, any recommendations here? (are either available this side of the atlantic?)
    • People seem to use them with Boge 3.0 ohm cartos, but I'm not sure I want a VV mod yet, will they work ok with an eGo battery, or if not would a Boge 2.0 ohm work well?
    • Do they leak out the bottom of the carto (onto the battery connector etc)

Thanks,
    Steve

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I've had the chibi for about 3-4 months now
    it's nice and most importantly cheap. 8 dollars for the tank + 1 carto
    you have to fill with a syringe, and you can't change cartos until the tank is empty as it's a pain in the sack to unseat one grommet without also unseating the other.
    you can just stick a syringe in to suck up any juice thats left in, change the carto and then refill with the syringe. not a huge deal, just not exactly something you can do on the go

they dont really leak unless the pressure is all ****ed up, if you get leaking or a bit of gurgling cos of a flooded carto.. just stick a syringe in between the grommet and the tank wall and let some air escape. once the pressure is equalised, the leaking/flooding will stop. a knife/scissors/whatever will do.. all you have to do is break the seal of the grommett and let some air escape.. or in.. i dont really understand that. saying that, I think my chibi has only leaked once since I got them and I fixed it in 2 seconds by letting some air out.

youll probably have a little bit of hassle getting it all set up the first time, but once you figure out the best way to do it.. (i put both grommets on either end of the carto and then gently but firmly push the carto into the tank) it hardly takes any time or effort.

the mini sub is meant to be similar (dont have one, but want one) except instead of having to equalise the pressure by lifting the grommett it has a little screw on the side which you just screw out and pull out to let the air escape, fixing your gurgling/flooding issues if they arise. good idea, you also fill through that hole iirc so a blunt needle capped bottle will do.

my main problem with carto tanks is flavour. you can get alternating great flavourful hits and sort of muted hits. I think it's to do with the way that only some of the carto gets soaked in the liquid as opposed to just filling a carto normally, where more of the filler is soaked? I dont really know, just some times and some juices the carto tank isn't as good an experience as a plain carto.. although it is a fair bit handier cos yhou're not faffing about refilling it every half hour. although maybe it's because keeping the bottom of the carto sitting in the liquid kinda wears it out a little quicker, so that while it still performs the oomph of the flavour isn't there any more. *shrug* ease of use and lack of hassle versus slightly better flavour sometimes, personal preference really

parkesvaping sell the chibi and also sell boge 2ohms, i dont know if momandpopvaporshop also sell boge 2ohms for the mini su, never ordered from them. parkes charge 5dollars for delivery and it generally takes a week or just under, so pretty reasonable.
    oh and the boge 2ohms that thebestshop sell wont fit either of them, asa they are the XXL boge's. obviously if you're buying some that aren't from parkes of momandpop's get stainless so you dont have to peel that black ****e off.

actually.. maybe the boges that TBS have would work with the larger of the sub tanks that momandpops have.. the dual coil one. they seem to be sort of kinda similar in size to dual coils.

--edit

oh, momandpops do have boge 2ohms. the mini sub holds slightly less juice than the chibi though. chibi holds i think around 3ml + whatever a filled carto will hold. mini sub holds 3ml including the filled carto

the submarine tank from momandpops might be good for you, it has 1.7ohm "ressurector" which i think is just a dual coil.. not sure

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Excellent, thanks for the detailed post. They both look really good. I think I'd lean more towards ones that would fit the boges, so if I do go VV (the lavatube is looking more and more tempting) then I can carry on with those. I thought shipping would be much more, that seems really reasonable.

i just did up a fake little order on momandpops, shipping for 2 minisubs and 2 15ml bottles of juice came to 8 dollars. so parkes is a little cheaper over all. and i think they're 50-90 cent cheaper for the replacement cartos.

so chibi.. just about as good, but a fair bit cheaper
    mini sub.. havent used it, but seems to be quite a bit easier to fill and solve any flooding/leaking issues although like i said above, they're pretty rare with the chibis

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

stevenmu wrote: »
    I've been trying various different devices with varying degrees of success, and mostly I have been pretty happy with them for the simple fact that they weren't cartos. But last week I got stuck and had to go back to one for a few hours, and I actually quite liked it. Then today the imist and stardust just really weren't satisfying me, so I went back to the cart (a smoktech LR DCC), and I'm really really liking it. So I'm thinking that I may have come a full circle and be back to using cartos again :) But I want to avoid the problems I had with them before, the main one being that I always overfilled them leading to tons of leakage out the bottom.

So long story short, I want to try a carto tank and have a few questions if anyone has any experience of them
    • The chibi and the mini-sub seem to be best with not much to choose between them, any recommendations here? (are either available this side of the atlantic?)
    • People seem to use them with Boge 3.0 ohm cartos, but I'm not sure I want a VV mod yet, will they work ok with an eGo battery, or if not would a Boge 2.0 ohm work well?
    • Do they leak out the bottom of the carto (onto the battery connector etc)

Thanks,
    Steve

You've tried a lot in your 21 days smokefree!

i just did up a fake little order on momandpops, shipping for 2 minisubs and 2 15ml bottles of juice came to 8 dollars. so parkes is a little cheaper over all. and i think they're 50-90 cent cheaper for the replacement cartos.

so chibi.. just about as good, but a fair bit cheaper
    mini sub.. havent used it, but seems to be quite a bit easier to fill and solve any flooding/leaking issues although like i said above, they're pretty rare with the chibis
    Yeah I was just doing some dummy orders too, parks do seem to be a bit cheaper. The hole in the side of the mini sub seems great, but the chibi seems very manageable too. I think that'll be the way to go. Now I just need to resist the lavatube :)
    achieve wrote: »
    You've tried a lot in your 21 days smokefree!
    Haha, yeah, I'm running out of things to try at this point. I don't even want to think how much I've spent, it's more than analogues anyway. But, it has kept me off them so far so it's worth it for now.

(that should say 28 days though, the image doesn't seem to refresh very often)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 sparkemo

You could also try the DCT (Dual Coil Tank), they hold 6ml of liquid and are easier to fill than the chibi tank, no syringe needed.
    I use both types and find both are very good, just less refills with the DCT.
    I also recommend 3ohm boges with the chibi and 2.5ohm xl dcc's with the DCT if you are considering a Lavatube.
    Got the Chibi from Parkes, the DCT from ecigwizard or e-cigshop.ie (cheaper) and 2.5ohm XL DCC's from ecigwizard.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sparkemo

http://www.parkesvaping.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=107

chibi tank

http://momandpopvaporshop.com/tanks/

mini sub/submarine tank

if you're using a standard ego battery, the boge 2ohm's are what you want, not the 3ohms. 3ohms wont do **** on an ego battery

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

The Puff Tanks work quite well and can be bought this side of the Atlantic for around a tenner.
    My only advice would be to buy a ming drip tip, as this will solve any sliding issues.
    I have the latest arry tank (stainless steel) en-route, will let ye know how it works out. I'm expecting great things as I have version 3 of the arry tank for clearomizers and it's brilliant, no leaks at all and great flavour.

i was considering the arry tank, but i dunno how stainless steel would affect the flavour of the juice.. plus I like to be able to quickly look and see how much juice I have left

i know I could just unscrew the top and look in but argh, effort

• Advertisement

It shouldn't effect the flavour at all as it is food grade stainless steel.

I know what you say about not seeing the liquid, but I'm going to either top up once a day, safe in the knowledge that it will easily last me the whole day (in reality a full tank would last 2 days easily)

The reason I went with it was of the threaded screw, no chance of movement in my pocket, removes the need for syringe (other than with a new carto) and almost any size carto will fit big or small.

I'll let you know how I get on, should have it before the end of the week.

I'm going to try some boge dual coils in it, any idea's where's the best place to get the stainless steel ones?

boge do dual coils?

yeah I probably would like an arry tank, im just trying to convince myself I dont need/want one so picking at flaws desperately :)

its s shame he only makes such limited runs, seems to be a case where you have to rush to get them. im gona place an order for 50 boge stainless cartos some time this week from healthcabin and even at 2 cartos a week that oughta last me about six months so im not even sure im going to bother with carto tanks in the future.

i have my chibis and I still love them, but if all im doing is sitting at a desk then refilling isnt a huge problem and i really dont mind throwing a 10ml bottle into my pocket if i have to go somewhere.

if I win the euromillions some day, im going to just buy every ecig product on the market and spend a few months trying every damn one of them just so I finally know which is best

My mistake, I meant regular resistance boge, as I believe the flavour is better?

But I'm unsure how they will work on a lavatube?

ah, the 2ohms? I tried one on my lavatube last week and it was pretty awesome

so much so that im now wondering whether I oughta get 10 boxes of 3ohms, 5 boxes of 3 and 5 boxes of 2ohms or 10 boxes of 2ohms

im pretty sure the LT will push a 2ohm carto to 5v or just above, and that's generally where I vape anyway.

oh, and if you want somewhere to get them

if you want loads of them and dont mind waiting a while (probably around a month, altough express shipping is about a week) healthcabin.net. my order of 10 boxes incl shipping comes to 41 euro. which isn't bad for 50 cartos. im only ok doing that though because I have about 9 pre-punched cartos and 5 ordinary cartos already in my case.

parkesvaping sells them prepunched in 2ohm and 3ohm for about 2 dollars each, 5 dollars shipping. takes about a week or just under from the states

if you're using a standard ego battery, the boge 2ohm's are what you want, not the 3ohms. 3ohms wont do **** on an ego battery
    That's what I guess alright. I went to order some last night but they were out of stock on the cartos so held off. That might be a good thing, I really want to get it right this time so I might hold off for a week or so, really try out the DCCs, revist the other bits I have and then see what to do. At the moment I'm trying to decide between either

- Chibi tank with LR boges on the ego that I already have
    - Chibi tank, get a bunch of NR boges from HealthCabin, and a lavatube/similar

I'm leaning towards the second. It's obviously much more expensive, but if I'm heading that way anyway then I'm just wasting money messing with other things in the meantime. If they hurry up and release V2 of the lavatube that might make my mind up :)

i think i read that it's coming in march :)

i have a few 3ohm non punched cartos left, so I ordered some 2ohms from TBS today. tomorrow im going to vape both of them all day and try to decide whether or not i want 3ohm or 2ohm cartos with my healthcabin order

unless you plan to vape constantly at 6 volts, I think a 2ohm boge might do you fine on the LT

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlZnGjZRjO_UdGo3VVlnVHY0VExZLVd5aDkwUEJEZXc#gid=1

2ohms at 5 volts hits 2.5amps, which is the lavatubes limit. and i think the lavatube v2 is gona have a higher limit

2ohm cartos came in todays post
    gona fill them both up with the same juice and spend the day vaping both :)

--edit
    bloody hell it takes ages to fill a carto when you're using 70/30 pgvg juices

It can be tough alright, I tried one with 100% VG at one point, it was sooooo slooow.

Interested to see how you get on with the 2 ohms, I'm pretty sure I'll go with the lavatube, I'll probably end up there anywhere so might as well do it now. Going to think it over then order at the weekend (if I have any money left).

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Tom123

I am very disappointed with my DCT v2 tank.

Tried with an initial carto and was getting a very poor draw so thought it might be just a dud. Tried a second and pretty much the same, poor draw and zero throat hit. Could it just be another dud DC carto?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

It could just be a batch of duds that you've got...which is a shame.

It's not unheard of to get a full batch of duds.

• Advertisement

its possible the hole punched into the carto isnt sucking in your juice properly? are you using standard dekang liquids? I used them and they worked fine with the original dctanks but i'd imagine anything with a higher vg content would have trouble

its possible the hole punched into the carto isnt sucking in your juice properly? are you using standard dekang liquids? I used them and they worked fine with the original dctanks but i'd imagine anything with a higher vg content would have trouble

Pre filled the carto and then half filled up the tank so there should be liquid in them.

Have tried a third carto now and still very poor performace, am I expecting too much?

have you tried ordinary dual coils? tankless?
    the performance should be the same, maybe a little better

something is definitely strange if you're getting real bad performance from 3 cartos in a row

it's possible although unlikely that you got the wrong cartos in the order?
    if you're vaping 3ohm or 2.5ohm cartos on an ego battery you would be getting similar performance issues. I ordered some 1.5ohm cartos in december and only got around to trying them last month as my lavatube broke, but when i put them on my ego i was getting terrible performance. put them on my new lavatube and they worked fine, i dont have a multimeter but the only explanation is that they were mistakenly sent to me as a higher ohm carto than what i'd ordered.

have you tried ordinary dual coils? tankless?
    the performance should be the same, maybe a little better

something is definitely strange if you're getting real bad performance from 3 cartos in a row

it's possible although unlikely that you got the wrong cartos in the order?
    if you're vaping 3ohm or 2.5ohm cartos on an ego battery you would be getting similar performance issues. I ordered some 1.5ohm cartos in december and only got around to trying them last month as my lavatube broke, but when i put them on my ego i was getting terrible performance. put them on my new lavatube and they worked fine, i dont have a multimeter but the only explanation is that they were mistakenly sent to me as a higher ohm carto than what i'd ordered.

Yeah used normal DCC for month before switching to ordinary boge cartos and found them pretty good.

Not sure what the ohms are, have a multimeter but no idea how to use it.

well figure it out and check the resistance on those cartos :)
    should be youtube videos

stevenmu wrote: »
    It can be tough alright, I tried one with 100% VG at one point, it was sooooo slooow.

Interested to see how you get on with the 2 ohms, I'm pretty sure I'll go with the lavatube, I'll probably end up there anywhere so might as well do it now. Going to think it over then order at the weekend (if I have any money left).

im prob gona get the 3ohms when i place my big order. the 2ohms were fine on the LT, but not much difference than the 3ohms (at their respective voltages) and i think a 3ohm will last a bit longer as it wouldnt be getting as hot as the low res one. but both work fine.

will prob get a box of 2ohms as well just to have them

--edit

i bloody forgot to get a box of 2ohms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

Tom123 wrote: »
    Pre filled the carto and then half filled up the tank so there should be liquid in them.

Have tried a third carto now and still very poor performace, am I expecting too much?

Smoktech don't seem to have any quality control at all, you may have a bad batch.

Try filling the tank/carto and then letting it sit over night - it takes a while for them to wick properly depending on the thickness of efluid you're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

Anyone know how many ohms these ones are, it doesn't say it in description? http://e-cigshop.eu/SMOK-dual-coil-cartomiser/smoktech-dual-coil-tank-cartomiser

As a point of interest they have the smoktech tanks in stock there again in case anyone was waiting to order one like me.

prob have to email them and ask, they're probably 1.5 as most of the dual coils in Ireland are 1.5., i think only vapourstore has the 2 and 2.5 ohms

• Advertisement

I ordered 10 boge 3ohms pre punched from the chibi tank crowd mid feb, so far i've tried six of them and not one worked. I'd put it in the tank, stick the juice in.. leave it time to soak in etc etc but as soon as I fired the lavatube I'd see a bright red glow through the punched hole and a strong smell of burning (what I assume is cotton). Happend the exact same way with every carto, with 70/30 70/25 and 100%pg juices so it's definitely a cartomiser issue.

6/10, I could try the other 4 but I've just emailed parkesvaping and maybe they'll want me to send them back to make sure i'm not lying.
    I've ordered cartos from them before and never had this issue so I'm sure it's just a bad batch, if you're going to order a chibi you'll be safe ordering cartos from them too I just needed somewhere to vent

grargh

Advertisement