Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ash cutting propagation

• 09-05-2020 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone

So there's been an amnesty on all wild growing ash around the farm because of the die back, now one of these seems unaffected when ash in each direction and only a few feet away have dieback.

I have a vague memory that you propagate ash from the current seasons shoots but because getting this right could be really important I need all the help I can get.

All pointers examples or black magic appreciated

Feel free to post or PM your method, many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

So there's been an amnesty on all wild growing ash around the farm because of the die back, now one of these seems unaffected when ash in each direction and only a few feet away have dieback.

I have a vague memory that you propagate ash from the current seasons shoots but because getting this right could be really important I need all the help I can get.

All pointers examples or black magic appreciated

Feel free to post or PM your method, many thanks in advance

Hi All,
    I also have a few ash which appear to be resistant and would like to take cuttings to propogate.
    I have not done this before so am looking here with interest for instructions and advice.

I've an experiment running in the forest too.
    In a section of ash that is completely surrounded by other species, I have coppiced about 400 stems. I am hoping to see regeneration and seeding from the surrounding trees in the cleared area. The ash suckers being particularly vulnerable to dieback will I expect mostly die off, what I am hoping is that if a few resistant plants exist, they will show themselves by surviving. These survivors should find themselves growing amongst the other species which have seeded in from the surrounding trees and be sheltered. From these I hope also to take some cuttings and propogate.

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Accidentally

I've never heard of anyone propagating from cuttings, probably because they grow so easily from seed.

Laying and layering works, if that's an option for you, just peg it to the ground, cover in soil, and keep damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I've never heard of anyone propagating from cuttings, probably because they grow so easily from seed.

Laying and layering works, if that's an option for you, just peg it to the ground, cover in soil, and keep damp.

Is this year a particularly good year for Ash seeds - I am seeing little seedlings everywhere. Every road verge, coming up in little spots in the tar, and red bit of ground in the fields, even had a few on the potato drills I put in a few weeks ago...
    I dont remember ever seeing as many of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Accidentally

Is this year a particularly good year for Ash seeds - I am seeing little seedlings everywhere. Every road verge, coming up in little spots in the tar, and red bit of ground in the fields, even had a few on the potato drills I put in a few weeks ago...
    I dont remember ever seeing as many of them...

I would see large numbers of ash and acer seedlings every year. I suspect we're noticing more things this year as we're spending more time at home and are not in as much of a rush. There's also less spraying and cleanup going on.

I am seeing hares on a near daily basis, where I might normally see one a month. That's most likely because I'm walking the fields at six in the morning, where as I'd normally be in a car at this time.

Advertisement