Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most overrated book

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Normal People by Sally Rooney. I just don't see what all the hype was about. It's dull at best. Same goes for the TV Show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Flavour of the month I know but

"Normal People" - Boring People - pus all that Late Late "Show meaningful" Es EEE ex

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Anything where the author is interviewed for the publicity of it imo. That kills me. But I suppose it has to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Anything where the author is interviewed for the publicity of it imo. That kills me. But I suppose it has to happen.

Every book ever? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

ChrisJ84 wrote: »
    Catch 22 - I love the genre, but thought it was awful and couldn't get into it at all.

I really enjoyed Catch-22, it's slightly off the wall so to speak but I think that just added to it's charm

• Advertisement

Every book ever? :pac:

Ah no, just these days.

I'm sure you know what I mean, it's the bread and butter for some TV and radio interviewers these days. I will have a look up for sure, but it's mostly rubbish with an author connected to RTE or Newstalk whatever.

Are the Harry Potter books any good? I'm not a fan of the genre so I never read them, I accidentally watched the last half hour of one of the movies and it was one of the worst things I've ever seen in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

On the road by Jack Kereoc. Pile of rubbish avoid.

Catcher in the rye is not much to write home about but it's readable. Handmaid's tale is ridiculously overrated.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Three books spring to mind:

Vernon God Little - the premise looked like something I'd enjoy. By the end of it I'd resolved never to buy another Booker Prize winner if this was the sort of thing they gave the prize to.

The Old Man and the Sea - how can such a short book feel so long and tedious?

A Confederacy of Dunces - I've rarely cared less about what happened to the protagonist of a book as I have this one, I just wanted it all to end as quickly as possible.

Have to agree about the Booker Prize. Possibly rigged or a signal from those who think they are our betters telling us what to read.

Follow the money.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Three books spring to mind:

The Old Man and the Sea - how can such a short book feel so long and tedious?

Jesus, second time in the thread so maybe I'm the weirdo but I love The Old Man and the Sea.

How can such a short book feel so powerful?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Irish_rat wrote: »

Catcher in the rye is not much to write home about but it's readable. Handmaid's tale is ridiculously overrated.

Wow. 3 of the first that came into my mind.

I think The Handmaid's Tale is lauded as it is a good description of a totalitarian state. The gender issues probably appeal to some too. However, as a story it's awful, and I found it very boring and without a plot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Irish_rat wrote: »

I enjoyed Catcher, though I think it is overrated.

But On the Road is such drivel. I've never been more disappointed by a book. I had to struggle so hard to finish it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

pavb2 wrote: »
    100 Years of Solitude

Nonsense. The meaning of life is contained within.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The Essex Serpent

The Wonder

If I could only have the money back I spent on these books and the time reading them and invest instead in a meal in a country pub on a terrace with friends on a sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Normal People by Sally Rooney. I just don't see what all the hype was about. It's dull at best. Same goes for the TV Show

Have you watched the show until the end? Binged on it last night - starts slow but finishes very strong. I haven't read the book but my wife has - she also wasn't impressed by the book but the TV show is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

robinbird wrote: »
    A lot of mentions for books that people had to read for the Leaving Cert.
    Might be better if we excluded these. As a lot of those mentioning them probably haven't gone near a book since school.

That's a little presumptuous, perhaps they just didn't like it because it wasn't a book they would have chosen to read. Maybe they would have chosen to read it given the time but being forced to read it/study it stripped the enjoyment out of it
    For me 'Things Fall Apart' was the exception that proves the rule. Force me to do it and I'll grow to hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

I really enjoyed Catch-22, it's slightly off the wall so to speak but I think that just added to it's charm

You need to read it twice. The second time you get it. At least, that was my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,539 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Foucault's pendulum by Umberto Eco- a weird storyline but the thing that really put me off was Eco's pretentious language/ writing style: "Why use 1 word when 12 semi-obscure ones will do?"
    Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

kowloon wrote: »
    That's a little presumptuous, perhaps they just didn't like it because it wasn't a book they would have chosen to read. Maybe they would have chosen to read it given the time but being forced to read it/study it stripped the enjoyment out of it

Perhaps. It is a strange title for a thread. Why do people finish books they don't like. unless they are forced to read them. Maybe a better title would be something like " Books I was forced to read for the Leaving that I didn't like"

Books that are on the Leaving Cert Syllabus include

Catcher in the Rye
    Catch 22
    Wuthering Heights
    Jane Eyre
    Little Women
    The Great Gatsby
    Old Man and the sea
    The Handmaid's Tale

Assume Mcgahern is as well as posters have mentioned him a few times.

• Advertisement

I have a few that come to mind straight away!

The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger - A tedious read about a whiny teenager

The Old man and the sea by Ernest Hemingway - Old guy goes fishing in a boat. The End. zzzzzzzzz
    That's my one too.
    Day Lewin wrote: »
    "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood: unconvincing, and derivative from science fiction - the whole idea was done much better by John Wyndham.
    bubblypop wrote: »

Jane Eyre, terrible book with a hypocritical ending. Sorry I ever bothered.
    Day Lewin wrote: »
    Oh, I disagree with you there!!
    Catcher in the Rye for me. I know it's not overly long but if I hadn't been on a transatlantic flight I'd never have finished it. South Park summed it up well when the boys read the book after they hear it's 'controversial'; but "it's just some whiny, annoying teenager talking about how lame he is."
    Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Little Women.

Do women like it or something? I'm surprised it was made into a movie, twice. I can't remember it fully now but I recall it was a bit powderpuff. "Oh Beth, do you like the cookies I've baked?" "They're lovely Meg, what do you think of my new woolly scarf? It's awfully cold outside today!"...or something. I'm paraphrasing here.
    NedLowry wrote: »
    The Great Gatsby.
    Not terrible by any means, just... average, really.
    Sardonicat wrote: »
    What!?
    Could never agree that The Great Gatsby is just an average novel.
    JuneMoon7 wrote: »
    I never read it either..these Little Women, just how little are they? are they scary little?
    Actually, i liked the Old Man and the Sea. Its short, and its deceptively simple in its execution, but beautifully written. You feel the love between the young boy and the old man, theyre kindred spirits.
    I like it, its a clever way of using first person narrative but still getting several viewpoints across. I like the old Victorian books
    The Picture of Dorian Grey is also very good.
    denartha wrote: »
    But i did like Little Women.

And Friends.
    I quite like Wuthering Heights but Heathcliff and Cathy are about as far from the romantic ideal that many seem to think they are as you can get. She's a delusional, manipulative headcase and he's a complete psychopath.
    ChrisJ84 wrote: »
    Catch 22 - I love the genre, but thought it was awful and couldn't get into it at all.
    McHardcore wrote: »
    I never understood the attraction to The Catcher in the Rye
    I see Catcher in the Rye getting a lot of mentions here and I'd agree, it is just a whiny teenager b1tching about everyday things that don't really matter - I was in my mid 20's when I read it and didn't get the hype at all, found it boring - I do wonder though if I had read it as a teenager it might have been one of the greatest books I'd ever read, I might have felt that the author really understands me because most of us were whiny little b1tches when we were teenagers

All Leaving cert books

I've read most of them, and didn't like several of them. None of them were on my LC. My LC novel was How Many Miles to Babylon? I loved it.

I finish books I don't like because I don't think you can truly judge it otherwise.

I finish books I don't like because I don't think you can truly judge it otherwise.

Life's too short. I get the free samples on Kindle. I would only buy and read maybe 5% of books after reading the sample.

I did Wuthering Heights for the Leaving. Think it's a great book.

Life's too short. I get the free samples on Kindle. I would only buy and read maybe 5% of books after reading the sample.

I did Wuthering Heights for the Leaving. Think it's a great book.

Yes, I think Wuthering Heights is a great book too.

Most of these are ones I would have read before Kindle existed, but if I dismissed books based on the sample I'd have missed many books I enjoyed. There are books I won't bother with at all because the subject or genre just doesn't interest me, but if I've given it a go then I'll finish it. Especially if it's a respected book - I can't just dismiss a respected piece of literature if I haven't even finished it.

I don't think your theory about these overrated books just being people's LC books is true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

All Leaving cert books

You've included my post despite the fact I said I read Catcher in the Rye in my mid-20's and while I may by no means be a genius I am definitely not that much of an idiot

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Have you watched the show until the end? Binged on it last night - starts slow but finishes very strong. I haven't read the book but my wife has - she also wasn't impressed by the book but the TV show is very good

I've only seen the first two episodes but considering that I didn't enjoy them and already hadn't enjoyed the book I didn't see any need to continue on. Maybe I'll go back to the show some other time but I doubt it tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

storker wrote: »
    You need to read it twice. The second time you get it. At least, that was my experience.
    Funny enough, I read it when I was maybe 16 and loved it, tried it again maybe 15 years later and couldn't get into it at all. Some books happen along at the right time for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Why do people finish books they don't like. unless they are forced to read them.

I guess the exception is when you want to learn about a topic but the reading isn't enjoyable, but I can't think of a novel that would apply to.

I reckon War and Peace is a book many have laboured through for the sole purpose of being able to say they've read it. Ulysses would probably fall into the same category.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Foucault's pendulum by Umberto Eco- a weird storyline but the thing that really put me off was Eco's pretentious language/ writing style: "Why use 1 word when 12 semi-obscure ones will do?"
    Never again.
    i tried reading 'infinite jest' by david foster wallace years ago; i was already in the mode of not enjoying it, and came across a five letter word i'd never seen before (alas, i can't remember the word). i looked it up, and it means 'or'.
    so i never went back to the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

The Catcher in the Rye is the only book I've read four times, and no doubt I'll read it again. But yeah it's a very unpopular book loads of people hate it.

Advertisement