Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

It's great that it's safer for motorcyclists. Fcuking delighted for you.

:rolleyes: I cycle as well, but sounds like you are really traumatized by tat motorcyclist, lets hope he doesn't do that you again.

Everything works well when everyone is considerate of everyone else, irrespective of the their mod of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

positron wrote: »
    :rolleyes: I cycle as well, but sounds like you are really traumatized by tat motorcyclist, lets hope he doesn't do that you again.

Everything works well when everyone is considerate of everyone else, irrespective of the their mod of transport.

Apologies, if i came off a bit strong there. This thread winds me up no end. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The joys of Ballsbridge this evening.

First, this nice young man who seemed to be heading into RDS (do they do UCD exams at dinner time?) drove straight out in front me. He later explained that he didn't see me. I had two lights, one solid and one flashing and a hi-vis jacket.

https://streamable.com/ltnja

Then this nice man in the big Volvo very nearly took out the cyclist in front of me by drifting into his lane. When I caught up, he had his phone in his left hand and was on a hands-free call.

https://streamable.com/lve06

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Steoller

What did the second lad say to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Steoller

Also, I had my second experience of reporting to trafficwatch at the end of november. BMW overtook me at the same place as my first incident, except this time it was wet and dark, and the oncoming car was plainly visible before they bulled past me.

No afters this time, so I'm not as pushed about throwing the book at them, but I still reported it.

Garda called me within the week, cautioned the guy at his home at the weekend, and all done and dusted.

Still no update on incident number 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Steoller wrote: »
    What did the second lad say to you?

Nodded apologetically while continuing his phone call, until I suggested strongly that he needed to end the call now. "Listen, I'll call you back as soon as I can get away from this eejit".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The joys of Ballsbridge this evening.

First, this nice young man who seemed to be heading into RDS (do they do UCD exams at dinner time?) drove straight out in front me. He later explained that he didn't see me. I had two lights, one solid and one flashing and a hi-vis jacket.

https://streamable.com/ltnja

Then this nice man in the big Volvo very nearly took out the cyclist in front of me by drifting into his lane. When I caught up, he had his phone in his left hand and was on a hands-free call.

https://streamable.com/lve06

That's bad, but I think it's p!ss poor positioning by the cyclist too. He's basically in the oncoming lane and in the worst possible part for being in the blind zone (not that he'd have noticed anyway) His driving is crap, but he also has the lane ahead of the cyclist and despite not using indicators, seems apparent that he is going to the right. They both need to have more awareness to be honest and he definitely needs to get off his phone and use his indicators.

And yup, UCD do exams from 9 am to 9pm pretty much. The flashbacks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

Apologies, if i came off a bit strong there. This thread winds me up no end. :mad:

No worries, I understand the frustration, commute does my head in too (on motorbike, you see all sort of craziness out there, especially filtering past thousands of cars on M50 the amount of people on phone, typing / watching videos is unreal).

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

positron wrote: »
    No worries, I understand the frustration, commute does my head in too (on motorbike, you see all sort of craziness out there, especially filtering past thousands of cars on M50 the amount of people on phone, typing / watching videos is unreal).

I drove a lot for work in the west for years well before there were too many motorways and i have to say the standard of driving on the M50 is absolutely the worst i've ever seen. The amount of people who hog the right lane, undertake, weave in and out of traffic and speed is ridiculous.

I would not fancy driving a motorbike on the m50 at all. You must have balls of steel for that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I drove a lot for work in the west for years well before there were too many motorways and i have to say the standard of driving on the M50 is absolutely the worst i've ever seen. The amount of people who hog the right lane, undertake, weave in and out of traffic and speed is ridiculous.

I would not fancy driving a motorbike on the m50 at all. You must have balls of steel for that.

I drive the M50 once a week for work, I hate it. Leave super early just to hopefully skip the bulk of it. Today was that day. Nothing surprises me, the lanes mean nothing. Had to drop anchor at one point where a ford transit just decided to merge across me. Every now and again you would see a car not moving with traffic, obviously whipped out the phone when traffic stopped and never restarted. The South bound lane was stopped dead as some lorry had an unsecure load of insulation, and there was one guy who had got out of his van to move it out to the side of the motorway, thankfully other cars had stopped to let him do that which was surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I changed jobs two years ago and now instead of travelling from Leixlip via the M50 to Sandyford, I now work closer to home and have the choice of driving a fairly easy drive or cycling (it's maybe 50:50 currently). I did the M50 for over 11 years. At the time, I knew it was horrible but tolerable.
    Without trying to sound hippy-ish, I know for a fact that my own wellbeing has improved. Leaving out the health benefits from cycling, the fact that I'm not in that mentally-toxic queue twice daily means that when I get home, I'm not as tired or stressed.
    I didn't know how bad it actually was until I stopped doing it. I really don't know how or why I allowed myself to do it.
    If I was offered my old job back for twice the money, I would turn it down simply because of that commute!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I did the M50 for over 11 years. At the time, I knew it was horrible but tolerable.

I didn't know how bad it actually was until I stopped doing it. I really don't know how or why I allowed myself to do it.
    This is so true. You're sitting there 'comfy' in your car and you can't think of any other way it could be so you ignore the stress.

The extremely odd time that I take the car to work and have to queue to drive home I get that reinforced...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

cdaly_ wrote: »
    This is so true. You're sitting there 'comfy' in your car and you can't think of any other way it could be so you ignore the stress.
    I have to disagree. I used to do the whole length of it (and for a while half the M1 too) every day. I eventually bought a house closer to work, but spent a year doing it up before I could live in it. Despite not having been on a bike in 10 years, every minute of that year that I spent on that fecking road, I was dreaming of being on a bike instead! I finally got there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Good to see Dublin motorists getting in the Christmas spirit. Defo a touch of lunacy around this evening.

My commute started with a left hook at Poolbeg street by some tool in a large Volvo. Continues up the bus lane then bullied his way across O’connell bridge and headed out towards Heuston.

Got tail gated and beeped for several hundred meters by a taxi on the bus / bike lane on the south quays, which I duly ignored, as it is almost normal at this stage. Wasn’t enough for this tool though - he drew along side at the red light at parliament st and started berating me out his passenger window. Two gardai passed and ignored the commotion, despite me saying he’d hassled me for 200 meters plus.

The fun really started at the Guinness brewery. Despite taking primary in the bus lane and indicating right to move across, the car that tailgated eventually had enough and slipped up my left - simultaneously the motorist behind me on my right, who had ignored my hand signal, spotted his opportunity and also close passed me. So managed a double close pass - one on each side, less that a foot from each of my my shoulders. Kind of lost it with the motorist who at this point had pulled to a red light. Just had a rant, he stared ahead.

Traffic heading into the park was mad with the Christmas lights thing on. Taxi behind me started beeping - presumably for me to move across two lanes of traffic. Duly ignored and took primary up the hill at park gate street. He joined the queue of traffic that stretched almost the entire length of the park, to Castleknock gate.

Tail gated out of Castleknock at myos which is almost customary at this stage. Guy in a bmw on my wheel to the M50 bridge

The evening wasn’t done yet - time for one more close pass squeezed in at laurel lodge - into oncoming traffic. Fair play to him though for left hooking across me. I hope his dinner didn’t get too cold with all that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Idiot in black with no lights running the red light at the Barge on Friday.

The amount of fools with no lights. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Nodded apologetically while continuing his phone call, until I suggested strongly that he needed to end the call now. "Listen, I'll call you back as soon as I can get away from this eejit".

I must admit I did 'LOL' (as the kids would say!) at this one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had my first bad one in an absolute age this evening. Air coach with acres of room squeezed by me on Drumcondra road a bit past Quinn's.

Couldn't catch up with to get the licence plate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Weepsie wrote: »
    Had my first bad one in an absolute age this evening. Air coach with acres of room squeezed by me on Drumcondra road a bit past Quinn's.

If you have the time and location ring them to complain. They will know who that driver was from their onboard GPS tracking, which they are sure to have on all vehicles. Between them and Swords Express its a race to the bottom of bad driving. Swords Express drivers are regularly passing red lights at O'Connell Bridge, only to block the junction and hold up other traffic, particularly the LUAS. Supremely bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Been commuting a bit later this week and mixing with the schools traffic, will check the camera later for anything worth posting but had a near miss with 2 pedestrians I was on a brand new mixed cycle path and taking it a little easy.
    There was a pedestrian up ahead to my left so slowed up thinking he might step in front of me just as I get to him he does so I go on the brakes and at exactly the same time a girl steps out from in front of a van to my right. Had I not slowed I've of hit both!
    Then a pedestrian crossing I was slowing as a lady was approaching so anticipated she might cross and yes steps out onto the road then looks for traffic!
    Lastly preparing to turn right, I sat up, looked over my shoulder let the a car pass then held my arm out and began to move right with plenty of room before the next car would reach me. Kept turning to look back and made eye contact with the driver and she was in panic mode didn't know what to do and just kept driving at me then passed me as I got to the center of the lane :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Weepsie wrote: »

In fairness he probably was probably just trying to *alert* you to the "perfectly good" cycle infrastructure somewhere off to the side there. He probably paid for it too through his "road tax" so pretty damn ungrateful of you to stay on his road holding people up Like that ��

• Advertisement

Just saw this on Twitter which some of our drivers should see...
    https://twitter.com/SafeCyclingEire/status/1075867127708569605

Bike down in Leixlip this evening at the top of the hill just before the garda station hope all was and its minor. He/she was still on the road covered in blankets when I passed about 6.20 with several cars stopped at the scene.

Makes these few clips seem very trivial.

Ninja bike wrong side of the road with no lights!

Crosses without even looking I know she had right of way but at least check nothing is going to run you over!

Pedestrian on the left steps off the path into the side of me just as one steps out from the right from in front of a van!

Signalling to turn right and begin my move but no I'll pass you any way :(

Almost lost it, the front wheel went on the mucky soup road sweepers leave behind just got my foot down in time to save it

tnegun wrote: »
    Bike down in Leixlip this evening at the top of the hill just before the garda station hope all was and its minor. He/she was still on the road covered in blankets when I passed about 6.20 with several cars stopped at the scene.
    I turned half way up the hill but saw the blues flashing. Assumed it was a checkpoint or something. Hopefully they are ok.
    Coincidentally I was close passed on the hill, the final slap after a pain in the hole journey home via Liffey Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Multiple close passes yesterday evening going up Stocking Lane just by the entrance to Prospect, it's like the first driver did it then the rest just followed suit. The sound of all those weedy diesel engines been floored by their angry user is still rattling around in my head!

Some from my journey home yesterday...

Driver not looking for cyclist

Ignorant cow in 07-TN-3272 (ironically I went this route from liffey valley because I thought it would be safer :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

5uspect wrote: »
    Idiot in black with no lights running the red light at the Barge on Friday.

The amount of fools with no lights. :mad:

I thought you meant the guy creeping through the other side, until the last second! Holy sh!t!

(could cut the clip a bit tho..)

Some from my journey home yesterday...

Ignorant cow in 07-TN-3272 (ironically I went this route from liffey valley because I thought it would be safer :rolleyes:)

That's definitely reportable complete lack of awareness / consideration

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

had it from the other side today - picked my wife up from horseriding, and we were driving home - entering a roundabout, a cyclist cycled out in front of me. i was going most of the way around the roundabout, but was not sure which exit he was heading for so i slowed drastically, as i was afraid he'd pull out in front of me for his exit (i didn't know whether he was being dozy or reckless), but as i slowed he did too and was giving me the 'what's your problem?' body language.
    in hindsight i suspect his thought process was 'if i keep my line on the roundabout, and he keeps his, we shouldn't cross paths', but if so, it was a very, very dumb thing to think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a day for it; walking through the combined car park/rat run at the local spar, a chap came gunning through in a car, towards me, and took umbrage at me telling him to slow down.
    'no, *you* slow down' was his considered response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

This was me on my first week back. Genuinely frightening but have adjusted my cycling to ride more defensively especially at tight spots like this

This was the other one on my first week back

https://twitter.com/MacL0ve/status/1201629016920190977?s=20

Advertisement