Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Gravel Routes (Check out my Gravel Tips)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭cletus

smacl wrote: »
    Love Strava's estimated moving time of 9:36. There's a full weeks worth a cycling in that for this poor mortal :pac:

I dunno, I reckon I could do 9 and a half minutes cycling straight through, no breaks...

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Bit on the extreme side isn't it? Also quite a bit of unridable stuff in the first half there (e.g. Carthy's Castle to Hellfire, Crone Woods to Djouce, the path beside Lough Tay) And I see you've included Boranaraltry Lane, c.30%! when there's a much easier gravel road going the same direction. And I don't think there is a connection between the gravel track off Glencullen and Ballyedmunduff Road. That path is private property afaik.

Anyway, good luck to you lads, but I won't be joining you on it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

LennoxR wrote: »
    Also quite a bit of unridable stuff in the first half there (e.g. Carthy's Castle to Hellfire...

Did Carthy's Castle to Hellfire a couple of weeks ago on my old hack MTB, tiring enough for myself being out of shape and getting on a bit, but all very doable. Weather is a huge factor here, dry ground is so much easier than sodden ground.

Connecting up gravel routes is certainly a challenge in this part of the world.

Did Carthy's Castle to Hellfire a couple of weeks ago on my old hack MTB, tiring enough for myself being out of shape and getting on a bit, but all very doable. Weather is a huge factor here, dry ground is so much easier than sodden ground.

Connecting up gravel routes is certainly a challenge in this part of the world.

The way I've done it, the last bit that connects Carthy's Castle track to the gravel roads of Hell Fire (jeez that sounds like a heavy metal song) is definitely hike a bike. But there may be another way I don't know about.

There are a lot of gravel, logging and fire roads in west Wicklow that are much less technical and hike a bike/mtb style, you guys should look into them.

But, in any case, as I say, the 200 km distance is way beyond my limit, especially off road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Carthy's Castle to Hellfire

Doable except for approx. 70m hike, due to gradient up. Perhaps you can power through it.
    Crone Woods to Djouce

Rideable except for approx 200m, but fine for a ballsier individual. I walked it down due to lack of cohones, but its not really technical, rather steep.
    the path beside Lough Tay

That's the only definite carry-a-bike fragment, maybe 250m, due to freshly logged forest.
    I don't think there is a connection between gravel track off Glencullen and Ballyedmunduff Road.

There is.
    Boranaraltry Lane, c.30%! when there's a much easier gravel road going the same direction.

Because it's fun! :D And the Wicklow way there (that I believe you're referring to) is kind a known and boring ;)

• Advertisement

There are a lot of gravel, logging and fire roads in west Wicklow that are much less technical and hike a bike/mtb style, you guys should look into them

Ok, I get the Wicklow Way / Boranaraltry Lane suggestion.

Can you think of more examples?

Alek wrote: »
    Ok, I get the Wicklow Way / Boranaraltry Lane suggestion.

Can you think of more examples?

For some of the gravel in west Wicklow that I'm talking about, check out this ride, which I was on ( not my profile btw). https://www.strava.com/activities/2436323793
    Alek, I'm not having a go at you by the way. It's just too hard and technical for me that's all.

For some of the gravel in west Wicklow that I'm talking about, check out this ride, which I was on ( not my profile btw). https://www.strava.com/activities/2436323793
    Alek, I'm not having a go at you by the way. It's just too hard and technical for me that's all.

LennoxR, thanks for that. I've only started into gravel riding in the last few months, but there's not much where I am (or it's all dead ends so you have to double back) I like the idea of trying some routes in the Wicklow, but I'd have to drive there, so I'd prefer to have some idea, at least to begin with, of where to go, rather than bumbling around with the limited time I have. If you have more routes please post.

Alek, while I enjoy looking at the routes you post, much like LennoxR, they are beyond me, and even if I had the ability, I think my wife might actually divorce me if I said I was going for a ten hour cycle.

As an aside, does anybody know if I can export a route from Strava to throw it onto whichever device I might choose to use?

LennoxR, peace! I didn't take it this way, just forgot to use smileys I guess. I will consider your suggestion.

The ride you posted looks very interesting, I will certainly give it a try. Its just that I specialize in East Wicklow myself so far :D

Cletus, I fully admit Weevil as a single ride is not for everyone! A road-only 200k with similar elevation is insane enough...

I just hope people here can draw some inspiration from the route, and give even a few parts a try.

Im not sure re: exporting the route, my wahoo reads them directly from Strava. But i can send you a gpx file if that suits

cletus wrote: »
    LennoxR, thanks for that. I've only started into gravel riding in the last few months, but there's not much where I am (or it's all dead ends so you have to double back) I like the idea of trying some routes in the Wicklow, but I'd have to drive there, so I'd prefer to have some idea, at least to begin with, of where to go, rather than bumbling around with the limited time I have. If you have more routes please post.

Alek, while I enjoy looking at the routes you post, much like LennoxR, they are beyond me, and even if I had the ability, I think my wife might actually divorce me if I said I was going for a ten hour cycle.

As an aside, does anybody know if I can export a route from Strava to throw it onto whichever device I might choose to use?

Yeah here are few spins I logged manually, as I generally don't upload rides to strava (don't ask!).

https://www.strava.com/routes/14641564

https://www.strava.com/routes/17897320

https://www.strava.com/routes/17302717

https://www.strava.com/routes/12952681

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The Up-and-back south of Glenmacnass... could you not add some loop around Derrybawn in Glendalough instead?

The Up-and-back south of Glenmacnass

Its a beautiful gravel climb and a really nice descend with great and virtually unknown view of the valley, despite standing out like a sore thumb in the route ;) I don't know paths around Derrybawn enough to include them. Added to the list for reconnaissance. Cheers :)

But, in any case, as I say, the 200 km distance is way beyond my limit, especially off road.

I tend to multiply by two when comparing off road and on road distance and effort, though part of that is down to my poor off road technical skills. Longest road spin I've managed is 270k when I was in way better condition, but would hope to get up to being able do 200k again. If I got my fitness up to being able do 100k of a circuit like this in a day, I'd be well chuffed. That said, I've no issue with pushing or carrying the bike for bits as needs be and reckon its part of trying to get a decent route where the off-road infrastructure is largely non-existent. I'm guessing to get an acceptable formal audax route will be nigh on impossible as most of the Coilte tracks have a no MTB sign on them and a large part of what's left is likely to include stretches of private land.

I'll be dissecting Alek's route and picking off short sections to do piecemeal as mixed road/off road day rides.

Some great routes there with a few bits local to me I haven't done. What's the story with entry to Kilsaran? I've been tempted to try the loop around there a few times.

I tend to multiply by two when comparing off road and on road distance and effort,

My rough estimation is 2:3 - if a 200km on road takes me 10h, I expect an offroad one to take 15h total, including breaks for capturing the lovely views and pondering on the reason why exactly am I doing this for feck sake ;)
    most of the Coilte tracks have a no MTB sign on

As far as i understand they have no problem with bikes on paths / tracks, but kind of frown upon going completely offroad.

Some great routes there with a few bits local to me I haven't done. What's the story with entry to Kilsaran? I've been tempted to try the loop around there a few times.

Yeah it's a fun little loop, but only about 2 km long and be sure to give way to walkers.

Barnasalingan Wood and the Leadmines/Rathmicheal is also a nice little loop.

Right I just made up this route. It's all the gravel sections I've done in west Wicklow (some in Co Dublin). I haven't ever done them all in the same spin, though, that would hurt! (Alek it might be up your street!)

But anyway, if people want to mine this for spin ideas in that area, then great.

https://www.strava.com/routes/19679275

Cheers, based on your previous routes I was just planning this (work in progress) for the next longer spin ;)https://www.strava.com/routes/19677168

So you're saying there is no problem with entering / leaving through the Kilsaran quarry main entrance?

Alek wrote: »
    Cheers, based on your previous routes I was just planning this (work in progress) for the next longer spin ;)https://www.strava.com/routes/19677168

So you're saying there is no problem with entering / leaving through the Kilsaran quarry main entrance?

Ah sorry, I was thinking of the Knocksink Woods near Enniskerry in my previous post.

Ok Kilsaran I have done, there's a network of gravel roads as part of the quarry site is hunting preserve I think. But it's totally trespassing. I did it on a Sunday when the quarry was quiet. But you can't get back on the road from there as either the quarry will be working or the gate will be shut. It's interesting to see, but obviously I can't be encouraging anyone to follow in my footsteps.

But you can just modify your route a little, leaving out the quarry, by taking in the gravel road at the end of Ballinascorney lane and then taking Vance's lane back to the main road. Total legal that way. The next bit of gravel the climb over Black Hill is much more interesting anyway.

Ah sorry, I was thinking of the Knocksink Woods near Enniskerry in my previous post.

Knocksink is good fun on the bike but can be a bit crowded. Masseys is my regular haunt but also starting to see way more walkers than in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Is there an app that would "read" me directions on a downloaded route as i cycled it so I wouldn't have to be cycling around looking at the phone the whole time trying to figure out the route?

There was one recommended in the cycling in Ireland book but it wasn't showing up on Market and may have been deleted

Knocksink is good fun

Knocking is *magic*, if you wander further past the main loop - the most tolkienian scenery I've been around. Not on a bike though...

https://www.facebook.com/ewa.respond/posts/2343929732488670

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

a148pro wrote: »
    Is there an app that would "read" me directions on a downloaded route as i cycled it so I wouldn't have to be cycling around looking at the phone the whole time trying to figure out the route?

There was one recommended in the cycling in Ireland book but it wasn't showing up on Market and may have been deleted

Not sure that you can avoid looking at your phone to follow a route, I have started to use the 'Viewranger' app with my phone attached to my handlebars if I want to follow a route, it's easy enough to turn the phone on/off when its on the bars.
    When you create your route on a PC you can edit the route 'Waypoints' that you want to be alerted to, then set your phone/app up to give an audible alert when you are in range of the Waypoint out on your spin, you can then check your phone/route, I've have my alert distance set to 125m.
    Alerts are handy on a road spin when your moving fast, if I'm doing trials I wouldn't bother setting alerts I'd just check the phone as I go/meet a junction.
    You can also set up an audible alert if you go off your planned route which is useful, I have mine set to a range of 175m.
    Visually the mapping data looks good which is why I use this over strava when following a route, particular if I want to go off plan and explore, if you pay the annual subscription of €4.99 you can download maps for offline/out of signal use.

Resoguy wrote: »
    ...with my phone attached to my handlebars if I want to follow a route, it's easy enough to turn the phone on/off when its on the bars...

Off topic, so apologies, but what bar mount are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

cletus wrote: »
    Off topic, so apologies, but what bar mount are you using?

Topeak, bought it in Halfrods, they do a few of sizes, think this is the one I have, easy to unclip, haven't had any issues and it's been on some fairly bumpy trails, rainproof

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-bags-baskets/topeak-drybag-for-iphone-6-6s

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

a148pro wrote: »

i believe komoot offers this

nialljf wrote: »
    i believe komoot offers this

The Garmin 810 (that I know of) doesn't call out directions but if you're following a route and go off route it will sound an alarm. Voice directions on an MTB GPS would be gas "...in 30 metres time take a sharp left followed by steep muddy right and near vertical drop avoiding the granite boulder in your path while ducking to miss the low branch overhead..." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Yeah I think an alarm or maybe "slight right" is best I could hope for. Think I followed one of the routes here, maybe one of alek's starting off at bottom of Massey's accessed past the equestrian school, but was cycling around trying to find it on my phone for a fair bit and not enjoying the lovely road and scenery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

"...in 30 metres time take a sharp left followed by steep muddy right and near vertical drop avoiding the granite boulder in your path while ducking to miss the low branch overhead..."[/I] :)

That's pretty much any spin with Alek.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

While not quite gravel, some of the L roads in North Dublin are most suitable for a Cyclocross or Gravel bike starting from the Airport (Dunbro Lane and Shallon Lane). Just keep turning down the various lanes and you'll likely be on a fairly rutted, or road with surface dressing at best and a strip of moss or grass down the middle. A bit of rain, and many of them flood too.

They do have dogs though.

Advertisement