Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forest replant

• 16-04-2017 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello,I have a question here,if I was to buy a forest(20 years planted) do I have to replant it when the time comes to clear fell it,even though I didn't get any grants for it over the years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Hi Eddie,
    Yes you would be required to replant the law existed before any grants etc.
    However depending on the species planted, and on how you fell the timber you could potentially use natural regeneration to replace the forest, and have a much reduced or even no replanting cost.
    To achieve this, you'd first remove some patches of trees to allow light in and seeds to germinate, then after some years if regeneration is successful remove most of the rest leaving a few seed trees standing, finally when the site is covered in regenerated stems, fell the remaining seed trees. Some years after this it would be necessary to select crop trees from the regen and clear the rest to give growing space. From then on thin as normal.
    Have a forester help you out.
    hope this helps
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Eddies farm

Timfromtang thanks for the reply, It's stupid that you would have put it back into forest,what would happen if it was put back into farm land. Does the new forest have to be planted 60 meters back for public road and houses?

well Eddie, if that is your opinion that is good.
    My opinion is..............
    It is the case that our Island was severely deforested when our oppressors left at the start of the last century, we were left with less than 2% forest cover. We are slowly recovering, but for the last 100 years or more we have not even been self sufficient in wood. although we produce food for about 5 times our population. This too is stupid. The land of Ireland is some of the best temperate land in the world for growing trees, I would suggest that it is Stupid that we are not self sufficient in timber.
    The law I am talking of has been in existence for a long time, long before the advent of grant aided private forestry.
    For most of the history of Hurling we have had to import most of the Ash used to make hurleys, this too is stupid would you agree?
    Now that Ash dieback has killed most of the european ash we used to import, now what??
    Well grown timber can be at least as profitable as farming, things like walnut and cherry for cabinet making and veneer even more so.
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Timfromtang thanks for the reply, It's stupid that you would have put it back into forest,what would happen if it was put back into farm land. Does the new forest have to be planted 60 meters back for public road and houses?

It's 10 meters from the road and 30 meters from the wall of the house with the owners concent

fergus1001 wrote: »
    It's 10 meters from the road and 30 meters from the wall of the house with the owners concent

Thanks,that's a right we bit when there a road around it

• Advertisement

I have no problem with planting forests,im all for it,but I think it's stupid that it has be replanted if you wouldn't what to, As for you saying I would make more money putting it back into forest than farm land I can't see it,I would have to fork out a lot of money to plant it and wait 20 to 30 years before if not more to get any thing back,it be different if I was being paid from the start to plant, There is mint off ground that could be planted but the forestry companies won't look at it,there only want good ground.

I have no problem with planting forests,im all for it,but I think it's stupid that it has be replanted if you wouldn't what to, As for you saying I would make more money putting it back into forest than farm land I can't see it,I would have to fork out a lot of money to plant it and wait 20 to 30 years before if not more to get any thing back,it be different if I was being paid from the start to plant, There is mint off ground that could be planted but the forestry companies won't look at it,there only want good ground.

Plant good ground to grow good trees, in the same way as good ground grows good grass.
    I mentioned natural regeneration, a LOW cost, method of replacing the trees.
    Continuous cover forestry allows for a regular income, and does not require investing large sums over long periods once established.
    Its about the HOW Eddie, Felling a mature section, or individual high value stems every year or couple of years all the time, and replanting and thinning sections which need it regularly too.
    What you can't see about forestry is the diversity of outputs possible apart from timber and the multitude of possibilities for adding value to the timber on site before selling.
    With an onsite sawmill and Larch growing I've found fencing material and trailer floors, and larch cladding profitable.
    I'd suggest you educate yourself a little concerning this.
    What species is growing there at the moment?

Of course you could lobby the minister and attempt to get the law changed, good luck with that!!!

tim

It's all fir trees

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Peter90

Latch trees, 40 acres, planted 20 years, never thinned, what would I expect to get money wise from thinning? When would these be fit to clear and what would you earn? Any idea cost of re-plant?

Peter90 wrote:
    Latch trees, 40 acres, planted 20 years, never thinned, what would I expect to get money wise from thinning? When would these be fit to clear and what would you earn? Any idea cost of re-plant?

Is it pure larch or spruce ? Depends on where you are in the country ?

You need to build a road first,there is a grant of €40 euro/m to do so and you need a forester to do all paperwork for you, he will organise contractors ect as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Peter90 wrote: »

Nothing Eddie, thinning is actually an overall cost not a gain.

JeffKenna wrote:

I beg to differ ...

JeffKenna wrote: »

I also beg to differ, Thinning can be profitable, Larch is easy to add value to, you can have the money you would pay the contractors by doing the work yourself. even if contractors are used and the larch is sold to a sawmill you would expect a small profit of perhaps 6 euro a ton.
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭peterofthebr

hi ive a few Ha of citrus and norwegian spruce. im trying to caculate how much this will cost me to replant(I like the idea of natural regeneration above), but assuming i will need to pay for it..is there a formula for citrus + norwegian per acra i can use to work out the cost of replaning forest?, i got most of the grants since they were planted; most of thinning done. im interested in looking fw to see what the cost might be to replant.

hi ive a few Ha of citrus and norwegian spruce. im trying to caculate how much this will cost me to replant(I like the idea of natural regeneration above), but assuming i will need to pay for it..is there a formula for citrus + norwegian per acra i can use to work out the cost of replaning forest?, i got most of the grants since they were planted; most of thinning done. im interested in looking fw to see what the cost might be to replant.

what age is the crop of sitka and Norway spruce ? and where in the country is it located

what age is the crop of sitka and Norway spruce ? and where in the country is it located

both planted 20yrs ago, cavan

both planted 20yrs ago, cavan

It would probably need 8 more years to mature in the case of sitka and 10 to 12 for the Norway, you would be throwing money away if you felled it now

It would probably need 8 more years to mature in the case of sitka and 10 to 12 for the Norway, you would be throwing money away if you felled it now

thanks for replay but not looking to fell it now, just wondering when it comes to replanting whats the rough cost of doing so? I guess there is no grant for replanting again after felling?

thanks for replay but not looking to fell it now, just wondering when it comes to replanting whats the rough cost of doing so? I guess there is no grant for replanting again after felling?

there is no grant and will cost around 2k per hectare plus what ever maintenance you do to get it to a free growing state

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭cycling is fun

Plant good ground to grow good trees, in the same way as good ground grows good grass.
    I mentioned natural regeneration, a LOW cost, method of replacing the trees.
    Continuous cover forestry allows for a regular income, and does not require investing large sums over long periods once established.
    Its about the HOW Eddie, Felling a mature section, or individual high value stems every year or couple of years all the time, and replanting and thinning sections which need it regularly too.
    What you can't see about forestry is the diversity of outputs possible apart from timber and the multitude of possibilities for adding value to the timber on site before selling.
    With an onsite sawmill and Larch growing I've found fencing material and trailer floors, and larch cladding profitable.
    I'd suggest you educate yourself a little concerning this.
    What species is growing there at the moment?

Of course you could lobby the minister and attempt to get the law changed, good luck with that!!!

tim

Hi Tim, having been at your place and seen your operation I just wanted to ask do you/can you pressure treat the wood in advance? And do you kilm dry the wood at all?

• Advertisement

Hi Tim, having been at your place and seen your operation I just wanted to ask do you/can you pressure treat the wood in advance? And do you kilm dry the wood at all?

I'm not a fan of pressure treating timber, nor of pressure treated timber.

I prefer to use rot resistant species of timber like heart of oak, yew, larch, etc where needed.

As for kiln drying, I am not drying any timber at the moment. I have used a large solar kiln in the past for firewood, but the wind has destroyed it a number of times (its on a windy hilltop). I have plans to build a smaller solar kiln for drying planks and posts etc and hope to strengthen the large solar kiln such that it survives high winds when I rebuild it.

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Hi Eddie,
    Yes you would be required to replant the law existed before any grants etc.
    However depending on the species planted, and on how you fell the timber you could potentially use natural regeneration to replace the forest, and have a much reduced or even no replanting cost.
    To achieve this, you'd first remove some patches of trees to allow light in and seeds to germinate, then after some years if regeneration is successful remove most of the rest leaving a few seed trees standing, finally when the site is covered in regenerated stems, fell the remaining seed trees. Some years after this it would be necessary to select crop trees from the regen and clear the rest to give growing space. From then on thin as normal.
    Have a forester help you out.
    hope this helps
    tim

Hi Tim

always a pleasure reading your posts, always so informed and positive. Sorry for bringing an old post up, but just a question on it- when you say that the regeneration is well underway, you should then remove the remaining seed trees. My instinct (if I actually owned a wood!) would be to leave them- and particularly if you were going for continuous cover? I am picturing venerable old trees, even though I see really scrawny birch left after conifers are clearfelled. Are you obliged to remove them or is there is some reason it is considered good practice. Just curious, thanks.

baaba maal wrote: »
    Hi Tim

always a pleasure reading your posts, always so informed and positive. Sorry for bringing an old post up, but just a question on it- when you say that the regeneration is well underway, you should then remove the remaining seed trees. My instinct (if I actually owned a wood!) would be to leave them- and particularly if you were going for continuous cover? I am picturing venerable old trees, even though I see really scrawny birch left after conifers are clearfelled. Are you obliged to remove them or is there is some reason it is considered good practice. Just curious, thanks.

Of course you would not be obliged to remove the seed trees from the regeneration site although since they are the best quality trees on the site and now at the age of "Maximum mean annual increment" it is likely you would want to.
    The regeneration described is for a clearfell situation (end of first rotation for most sites) and not really related to continuous cover practices although such a scheme is often a step on the way to continuous cover management which requires an uneven aged forest.

The age of max mean annual increment is an important concept for forestry. This is the most economic time to fell if you are producing timber for profit.
    what it means is
    as trees grow whilst they are young they put on more and more timber per tree per year, their growth is accellerating, as they reach middle age their growth slows down, and as they age is slows down more and more, there is a year therefore when the tree is growing at its maximum average annual increment, this is the most economic time to fell your trees.

tim

I'm not a fan of pressure treating timber, nor of pressure treated timber.

I prefer to use rot resistant species of timber like heart of oak, yew, larch, etc where needed.

As for kiln drying, I am not drying any timber at the moment. I have used a large solar kiln in the past for firewood, but the wind has destroyed it a number of times (its on a windy hilltop). I have plans to build a smaller solar kiln for drying planks and posts etc and hope to strengthen the large solar kiln such that it survives high winds when I rebuild it.

tim

Hi Tim, thanks for your reply sadly I do not have any rot resistance trees I have sitka spruce and lodgepole pine in future I may try and plant larch depending on ground/soil suitability? What is a solar kiln?

Hi Tim, thanks for your reply sadly I do not have any rot resistance trees I have sitka spruce and lodgepole pine in future I may try and plant larch depending on ground/soil suitability? What is a solar kiln?

A solar kiln uses the heat of the sun,ventilation and insulation to dry planks or firewood.

Have you heard of pine tar? An excellent wood preservative which can be made from your lodge pole pine.
    tim

A solar kiln uses the heat of the sun,ventilation and insulation to dry planks or firewood.

Have you heard of pine tar? An excellent wood preservative which can be made from your lodge pole pine.
    tim

Thanks Tim you are a mind of information, if I remember correctly you had a poly tunnel at your property I assume that is the solar kiln you mentioned. Tim can you advise any good books to deal with drying timber, timbers various uses etc? Thanks in advance

Thanks Tim you are a mind of information, if I remember correctly you had a poly tunnel at your property I assume that is the solar kiln you mentioned. Tim can you advise any good books to deal with drying timber, timbers various uses etc? Thanks in advance

when it comes to books I have simply read what came to hand over the years, none really stand out. Simply read whatever you can get your hands on easily is my advice, local library is a good place to start. perhaps email the furniture college in Letterfrack to ask them to recommend a reading list.
    tim

when it comes to books I have simply read what came to hand over the years, none really stand out. Simply read whatever you can get your hands on easily is my advice, local library is a good place to start. perhaps email the furniture college in Letterfrack to ask them to recommend a reading list.
    tim

Thanks Tim, I will do that

Advertisement