Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Zero Dawn

• 18-06-2015 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

This looks fantastic!!!

Release Date TBC

Horizon Zero Dawn is an exhilarating new action role playing game developed by the award winning Guerrilla Games, creators of PlayStation’s venerated Killzone franchise. As Horizon Zero Dawn’s main protagonist Aloy, a skilled hunter, explore a vibrant and lush world inhabited by mysterious mechanized creatures. Embark on a compelling, emotional journey and unravel mysteries of tribal societies, ancient artifacts and advanced technologies that will determine the fate of this planet, and of life itself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

This game will look fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

I was going to post that here recently but backed out! :pac:

Im surprised there has been zero discussion on boards about the game after E3,
    as it was the most risky, ambitous and unique game shown there imho.

My love of technology and the inner-hippy in me both are absolutely in love with the setting of this game.

It reflects on the history of past civilziations with the tribes, while being set in the distant future in a world dominated by robotic creatures.

Here's some more eye candy:

18849066731_ddfa35d697_o.jpg

horizon-zero-dawn-screen-02-us-15jun15?$MediaCarousel_Original$

horizon-zero-dawn-screen-03-us-15jun15.0.jpeg

horizon-zero-dawn-screen-10-ps4-eu-29jun15.jpg

2886323-outro.png

horizon-zero-dawn-screen-07-us-15jun15?$MediaCarousel_Original$

Artwork:

lloyd-allan-lloyd-allan-e3-paint.jpg

11703394_930382023684277_5541648435816178930_o.jpg

gIBnoUN.jpg

yokkWao.jpg

luc-de-haan-horizon-zero-dawn.jpg

This is something I really respect Guerrilla games for doing,
    After requests from fans wanting more detailed images of the main character Aloy, Guerilla put together a cosplay guide for them.

Have a look at the glorius detail they put into the character here:

http://killzone.dl.playstation.net/killzone/horizonzerodawn/cosplayguide/AloyCosplayGuide.pdf

• Advertisement

A more in depth analysis of the e3 trailer:

An extremely detailed graphical analysis of the game:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

After the massive disappointment I felt with the Killzone franchise I'm finding it difficult to dig deep and feel excitement for this one.
    It could turn out to be little more than a Far Cry 4 clone with sci-fi/dystopian window dressing.
    I also recall being regaled with art from Heavenly Sword, in the months before it's release and it turned out to be all mouth and no trousers.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    After the massive disappointment I felt with the Killzone franchise I'm finding it difficult to dig deep and feel excitement for this one.
    It could turn out to be little more than a Far Cry 4 clone with sci-fi/dystopian window dressing.
    I also recall being regaled with art from Heavenly Sword, in the months before it's release and it turned out to be all mouth and no trousers.

I personally look at this as a fresh start for Guerilla and wont be holding any judgements based on a previous franchise that was part of a completely different genre.

What they have accomplished already is astonishing in itself imo.

I can see this being far more engaging than Far Cry which lacks polish, i always felt the environment was too randomly generated and messy in the series, where as the world in horizon seems to have a lot more thought put into it.

My only fear is it being such an ambitious project that the release gets pushed back.

I dont think i've ever been so excited and passionate about an upcoming game before, it just resonates deeply with me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Doge wrote: »
    I personally look at this as a fresh start for Guerilla and wont be holding any judgements based on a previous franchise that was part of a completely different genre.

Surely a studio's track record is a more substantive guide for setting / moderating expectations than a trailer and a few pieces of concept art? Given the studio has a record of impressive pre-release demos followed by fairly insipid actual games, I can't help but temper expectations accordingly.

Obviously and rightly proper judgement should be reserved til release - studios have indeed gotten 'fresh starts' in the past, perhaps most notably Guerilla's Sony stablemates Naughty Dog. Guerilla making a great game would be surprising but hardly impossible. But yeah I'm with Ciderman here in being unable to commit any significant levels of pre-release excitement given the studio involved here. Not that I'd consider a game whose core appears to consist of blowing up robot dinosaurs a particularly creative or commercially 'risky' proposition anyway :pac:

• Advertisement

Surely a studio's track record is a more substantive guide for setting / moderating expectations than a trailer and a few pieces of concept art? Given the studio has a record of impressive pre-release demos followed by fairly insipid actual games, I can't help but temper expectations accordingly.

Yup but I will point out the studio has gone under some restructuing as they have hired ex-Bethesda and CD Projekt Red developers, who have worked on Fallout: New Vegas (the lead writer for example) and The Witcher series.

Thats just one of the reasons i'll give them the benefit od the doubt this time round.
    Obviously and rightly proper judgement should be reserved til release - studios have indeed gotten 'fresh starts' in the past, perhaps most notably Guerilla's Sony stablemates Naughty Dog. Guerilla making a great game would be surprising but hardly impossible. But yeah I'm with Ciderman here in being unable to commit any significant levels of pre-release excitement given the studio involved here. Not that I'd consider a game whose core appears to consist of blowing up robot dinosaurs a particularly creative or commercially 'risky' proposition anyway :pac:

Guerilla have said they came up with 40 pitches for a new IP, and Horizon was the riskiest of the lot, so it was certainly risky for them.

Its never easy for a developer to push into completely different terrority and I have big respect for them being so ambitious in that regard.

I'm strange though as I almost have more respect for someone who tries to do something ambitious and create a different experience than someone who just makes a good game! :pac:

It should probably be the other way around but i cant help giving more merit to an effort that tries to break existing conventions, even if its not a great success!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Huge promise, looks beautiful and I've high hopes for it but they are more hopes than expectation, given Guerilla's past output.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I enjoyed all the Killzone games. Fight me

Interview with senior developer Mark Norris at Gamescom:

Edit: audio begins 1 minute in:

No big reveals or anything but the guy has a very interesting background, worked in the US Airforce, and on previous games like League Of Legends, Dead Rising and DC universe.

He genuinely seems like a hardcore gamer, even came 22nd in the Nintendo World Champions in 1994!

Something i had not previously known was that 3 concept art images for the game were leaked last year in September:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=895571

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Why do i get the feeling Doge is working for Guerilla? :D

This looks really interesting, and is picking up on the next "zombies" fad (ie: dinosaurs). I'll be keeping a close eye on this, the first Killzones were good, but went downhill rapidly. Hopefully, this will have enough to keep the game engaging.

Why do i get the feeling Doge is working for Guerilla? :D

This looks really interesting, and is picking up on the next "zombies" fad (ie: dinosaurs). I'll be keeping a close eye on this, the first Killzones were good, but went downhill rapidly. Hopefully, this will have enough to keep the game engaging.

I'll come out and say it, I have NEVER played one of their games before including the entire Killzone series! :o

Horizon has peaked my interest like no other game before and I'll be paying very close attention to its development.

The artwork looks so promising that it may be the first Special Edition game I buy if it includes an art book.

Hell I'll even go as far as saying I'd love to see a film adaptation á la James Cameron, I think the plot and setting have that much potential. After seeing his work on Avatar he would be more than suited for the job.

Thats more than getting ahead of myself though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Another video of the second location:

The environmental destruction is insnane.

The rolling animation of this grazer looks fantastic:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Guerrilla/status/659074850842017792/video/1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That senor producer doing the commentary is super strange. It's almost like he's explaining it to a person who has never seen a computer game before. The whole thing came accross really weirdly to me.

Game looks good though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kirby wrote: »
    That senor producer doing the commentary is super strange. It's almost like he's explaining it to a person who has never seen a computer game before. The whole thing came accross really weirdly to me.

Yeah there was some weird stuff in it. Like explaining the numbers that pop out of an enemy when you hit them and then calling them 'Dynamic battle feedback numbers' or something just as ridiculous as if it was a new concept.

I'm still not convinced, I'd like to see more how the quest system works, it's looking a bit Monster Hunter to me at the moment and they are still showing the same E3 area. Sould be nice to see some more.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah there was some weird stuff in it. Like explaining the numbers that pop out of an enemy when you hit them and then calling them 'Dynamic battle feedback numbers' or something just as ridiculous as if it was a new concept.

I'm still not convinced, I'd like to see more how the quest system works, it's looking a bit Monster Hunter to me at the moment and they are still showing the same E3 area. Sould be nice to see some more.

Maybe this is why we haven't seen the quest system yet:

368712.png

Send in your CV Retr0… its your time to shine! ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

There is nothing here that we haven't already seen a hundred times before between Monster Hunter and Far Cry and maybe even Crysis. It does look pretty, but it's 2015, it should look pretty :)

Looks like its getting pushed back to a 2017 release.

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/722915062462033920?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

He's a reliable source apparently, and announced the game before Sony did at E3.

I'm not surprised really, its a huge project especially when its completely new territory for Guerrilla and they haven't shown us anything in the way of quests yet.

They have got a lot of hard work to do to make it live up to the high expectations.

Here's hoping they don't **** it up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hopefully it looks and runs just fine on the normal PS4 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Another stick to beat Sony with, if it turns out this was delayed because it had to be worked on for the Neo!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

However, we also want to ensure that Horizon Zero Dawn lives up to the visuals and gameplay quality that our games are known for.

Well, at least they're setting a low bar for themselves :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Looks really good but that dialogue is pretty awful stuff. Hopefully it's a bit more bearable in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

tok9 wrote: »
    Looks really good but that dialogue is pretty awful stuff. Hopefully it's a bit more bearable in the game.

Killzone wasn't exactly amazingly written either. Remember how awful Rico was?

Advertisement