Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How will you vote in the Marriage Equality referendum? Mod Note Post 1

• 24-01-2015 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

How do you plan on voting in the referendum on same-sex marriage. I will vote yes for the following reasons:

- I myself am a gay man and I want equality for Irish citizens regardless of sexual orientation before the law. Civil partnerships are not marriage. They differ from straight marriage in over 100 ways, including lack of inheritance rights which could potentially leave a civil partner homeless.

- Recent developments in the EU and US risk Ireland being left behind by the tide of human progress if we vote no. It would also be very damaging to our image as a country that respects human rights.

- Remarks by Iona members have further alienated me from their cause. On Morning Ireland a few days ago, Breda O'Brien compared same-sex marriage to a mother marrying her daughter. This reminds me of the rhetoric of the Christian Right in the US Deep South.

- The issue of children is separate because the new Family and Relationships Bill will legalise adoption by gay couples.

Mod note: drop the discussion of pedophilia. Cards are being handed out if it persists. It's not related to the topic at all.

How will you vote in the gay marriage referendum? 2585 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    80% 2071 votes
    Dont Know
    16% 434 votes
    Won't vote
    3% 80 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

Another thread.Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I can't possibly think of a reason I would vote any way but yes. Thats as a practising catholic :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I will vote no in this referendum

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Where's the "not eligible due to being a filfy furriner" option?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

cloud493 wrote: »
    I can't possibly think of a reason I would vote any way but yes. Thats as a practising catholic :).
    Same here - don't really understand why it would upset anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

I will vote tactically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

By right I shouldnt vote atal on this....doesn't ever affect me

But I always try to vote...so it'll be a yes....cant see any reason to vote no??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I haven't 100% decided but probably yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

"Marriage may be contracted in accordance with law by two persons without distinction as to their sex"

To be fair to the government they have worded the proposed ammendment very well. Simple and effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm voting Yes because it's the right thing to do but on a personal level I don't want to be in a society that sees my gay child as lesser than my straight child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭david65

It has to be a yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

I will be voting no,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

I will be voting yes, the no side are currently in process of conflating issue with children. They won't even openly admit that they wish to dictate the rights of others because of their religious beliefs and nothing else. On a side note, there's a massive amount of research that shows there's no issue with same sex parents,so even if the referendum affected that which it will not. Still not an issue unless you openly lie to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Voting no, it is not about equality, it doesn't allow polygamy or bigamy. It doesn't cater for bisexuals who may want to marry a person from both sexes.
    If people want marriage redefined, why not allow multiple husbands or wives?
    We are told it is about love and equality, but then prevents a woman from having both a husband and wife, or more, or a man having both a husband and wife or more if he wanted.
    Does this referendum want bisexuals to have people whom they are married to and a mistress or another man involved in the marriage whom they are not married to?

Surely the current wording doesn't go far enough for the LGBT lobby groups? It doesn't cater for bisexuals.

Voting no as I would rather a whole new system of marriage without state involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yes, I don't see any reason to deny two loving, consenting individuals the right to marry each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

RobertKK wrote: »
    Voting no, it is not about equality, it doesn't allow polygamy or bigamy. It doesn't cater for bisexuals who may want to marry a person from both sexes.
    We are told it is about love and equality, but then prevents a woman from having both a husband and wife, or more, or a man having both a husband and wife or more if he wanted.
    Does this referendum want bisexuals to have people whom they are married to and a mistress or another man involved in the marriage whom they are not married to?

Surely the current wording doesn't go far enough for the LGBT lobby groups? It doesn't cater for bisexuals.

Voting no as I would rather a whole new system of marriage without state involvement.

Is that not illegal marrying more than one person??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

I will vote no..the whole thing is ridiculous pointless and turning marriage into a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

I'll be voting no for 3 reasons.
    1. I seen on another thread on this site how the homosexual posters ganged up on another poster, the end result being that she closed her account.
    A cohort of people who demand to be treated equally and want tolerance seem to want to force their views on others by shouting the loudest and intimidating people.

2. I will not vote for anything this government proposes, Enda's due another wallop...

and

3. I believe that the ideal family unit is a married hetrosexual couple and their children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

It used to be, if the first spouse was still alive, but now you can marry as many as you like as long as there are divorces or annulments in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Need to see the list of candidates first.

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Only due to the role of the state in marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

I'm gonna go to the polling station, mark my vote on the paper thingy and pop it into the box with all the other votes. Job done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I will vote Yes. I hope that everyone who agrees with a Yes vote actually goes and votes so we can get equality on this matter. I'd hate to see the No voters win on this because people are too lazy to go and vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'll be voting yes to the referendum. It is a case of granting everyone equality and proper protection under the law.

I hope everyone makes the effort to vote as well. We need a big yes vote to show the world that we have moved away from the repressive theocracy that Ireland once was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

It doesn't cater for bisexuals who may want to marry a person from both sexes...
    If you're voting no, your opinion, but what the utter fup does the above mean? I mean, it's really terrible arguing - don't know if the blind thanking of it is worse.
    It's same-sex marriage - to marry one person of the same sex, that's all. Why would a bisexual want to marry two people? Because they fancy members of both sexes? It doesn't work like that and you know it doesn't. :D
    It doesn't "prevent" a woman from having both a husband and a wife and vice-versa because... it's same-sex marriage, it's for people who just want to marry one person of the same gender as them... :confused:
    The logic of what you're saying as that heterosexual people should be able to marry more than one man or woman because they fancy others besides just one spouse.
    Seeing as you ask, I'll give you an answer; that answer being no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I'll be voting no for 3 reasons.
    1. I seen on another thread on this site how the homosexual posters ganged up on another poster, the end result being that she closed her account.
    A cohort of people who demand to be treated equally and want tolerance seem to want to force their views on others by shouting the loudest and intimidating people.
    Oh dear, that's one hell of an impressionable reason not to vote for an issue affecting one hell of a broader group.
    I will not vote for anything this government proposes, Enda's due another wallop
    Very silly - even something you agree with?
    I believe that the ideal family unit is a married hetrosexual couple and their children.
    Ah, there we go. Why didn't you just say that? :D
    (A view you're entitled to btw - it's annoying when the no voters come up with all these spurious terrible arguments; why not just say number 3, which I may not agree with it but at least it's not as woeful as the other "pointers").

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I doubt you actually give a crap about polygamists or bigamists, it's just a thinly veiled justification to cover for your actual reasons.

I'll be voting yes in any case, not only because it's the right and fair thing to do but it's a big middle finger to close-minded bigots like Breeder O'Brien and the Ionians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'll be voting yes. Because there is no valid reason not to.

I'd actually have a tiny bit of respect for anyone who actually admits that they're voting against equality because they believe homosexuality is wrong or sinful. All these made-up reasons are tiresome...

"Oh, won't somebody please think of the children"

"What about polygamy?"

Urgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Will also be voting yes and am so fed up of people bringing up the subject of parenting/adopting etc when it is completely irrelevant to this issue (not necessarily on this forum). Gay people can already have children, so them being allowed to marry won't change that. I would hate to think that I would deny my children the right to their happiness should any of them be gay and want to marry in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

What are you on about?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement