Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Requesting guest specific gift.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Lau2976 wrote: »
    I decided to give the benefit if the doubt and thought maybe they had forgotten about the portrait but just received a text from the groom asking if I can confirm the date for the sitting as they need to arrange a sitter. And a nice little side note asking if I needed to swap what gift I was getting them as they have other people asking to get them different things

I think I might buy the mixer, paint it and then keep it for myself!

They have also asked the guy who's making the cake to add on 90 cupcakes. And then sent him the measurements for the bike!

Just :eek:!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I probably won't TBH. I have a few more weeks before I have to RSVP so I'll have a think but the cost is massive. Not only is it the gift an the painting but it requires me staying in a hotel if I decide to go to the reception as it's across the country.

I decided to give the benefit if the doubt and thought maybe they had forgotten about the portrait but just received a text from the groom asking if I can confirm the date for the sitting as they need to arrange a sitter. And a nice little side note asking if I needed to swap what gift I was getting them as they have other people asking to get them different things

They have also asked the guy who's making the cake to add on 90 cupcakes. And then sent him the measurements for the bike!

Ah, here! This topic has to be a pi**take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

LizT wrote: »
    I can't get over how anyone would think it's acceptable to put that on an invitation.

And follow up aggressively not long afterwards! :eek:

Well, the OP said that they are likely to receive some declines over this, and I'd expect more than a few declines if I was them. How can people be so shortsighted? They think they'll make or save money this way but they likely end up costing themselves more money through their moneygrubbing ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Nope. Just nope.

If that was me they would be getting nothing.

Like, my god! How can people be so delusional?

• Advertisement

If it's for real, then OP, treat them with the same contempt they are treating you and decline invitation and develop severe allergy to arts stuff and forget you ever knew them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh it gets better haha..Jes and are these really friends of yours or just lets say someone you know through someone!! I think I would break my arse laughing if someone suggested we do something like this.. And like you say the cost you already have to buy going and staying over.. Defo do not give them a mixer or a painting.. You could send them on a treasure hunt across the country saying you hid the mixer someplace where you knew they would love and just have it off the cliffs of moher or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Remember marge painted mister burns. And really captured his essence.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I dont think you should give them anything. Their greed is just stunning. Clearly they dont value your painting, or the baker's work, cos oh, thats just something you do! Never mind the skill, time, and cost of materials!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Neyite wrote: »
    No, the same one. :) I call it dinnergate to differentiate it from the usual bridsmaidsgates that happen.

*wonders if the mod is open to bribes to reinstate that thread...*

Not for all the tea in China!!! :eek:
    Oryx wrote: »
    I dont think you should give them anything. Their greed is just stunning. Clearly they dont value your painting, or the baker's work, cos oh, thats just something you do! Never mind the skill, time, and cost of materials!

I reckon this is exactly it. I knit and crochet and someone recently wanted me to make them a fancy cardigan type thing. They offered to pay me €200 and got really snotty when I said I couldn't do it. I told them that would just about cover the materials, and in addition it would take me weeks to finish it. Their response was "but sure why would you charge for something that you just do when you're sitting in front of the TV?". They were lucky the conversation happened by phone, cos if it had been face to face they'd have ended up having to have a crochet hook removed from somewhere unpleasant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Remember marge painted mister burns. And really captured his essence.

Are you saying the OP should paint the couple naked sitting atop a mountain bike, a food mixer or a stack of argos catalogues??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Are you saying the OP should paint the couple naked sitting atop a mountain bike, a food mixer or a stack of argos catalogues??? :D

Maybe all three? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Toots wrote: »
    Not for all the tea in China!!! :eek:

I reckon this is exactly it. I knit and crochet and someone recently wanted me to make them a fancy cardigan type thing. They offered to pay me €200 and got really snotty when I said I couldn't do it. I told them that would just about cover the materials, and in addition it would take me weeks to finish it. Their response was "but sure why would you charge for something that you just do when you're sitting in front of the TV?". They were lucky the conversation happened by phone, cos if it had been face to face they'd have ended up having to have a crochet hook removed from somewhere unpleasant!

Sure you know they were just speaking the truth, sure they could easily do it..Not the cheek of them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Picture of the mixer or bill them for the painting (and your friend bill them for the cakes) is the only way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Get them around to sit for an hour or 2 anyway, in silence posing while you paint the picture of the mixer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

eh.... these are your friends why? =P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I probably won't TBH. I have a few more weeks before I have to RSVP so I'll have a think but the cost is massive. Not only is it the gift an the painting but it requires me staying in a hotel if I decide to go to the reception as it's across the country.

If it's near my house I'll put you up. I'll even drop you to and from the wedding.

Only on the condition that you keep us all informed on this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

For the benefit of the boards community I think its paramount that you attend this wedding. Set up a crowd funding page.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

As well as you painting the mixer, you should get cake guy to do a cake of a kid's bicycle.

I would in my hole!

The money it's costing?! I'd just send them a text saying "sorry, I won't be around I've another event on", and I'd be on Ryanair's site looking to spend my money on a cheap and cheerful few days away.

Have a word with the other chap doing the cake, and any other friends you know that are going, and have a little group holiday away, instead. You'd have a great 3-4 days away with €1,000 (and it's looking like that's at least what it's gonna cost you to attend this Wedding).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Mathrew

Different strokes for different folks here. I personally am way happier when I get an invite with a "we'd prefer gifts of x" with an invite. People know you're going to give a gift of some sort. It's just perfect logic to me to make sure the gift is something you actually need.
    Head over to adverts under the wedding section for pages and pages of presents for sale that aren't needed.
    Instead of it being crass on the invite Id see it as saving people money getting the wrong thing. Each to their own though.

Me too, I'd prefer it, it would be a lot easier for me, instead of thinking what to buy.
    But it's very unusual, very few would be like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Surely this is some sort of social experiment to see how far you can push your wedding guests before they tell you to feck off?? Are you being secretly filmed?! I don't doubt you OP but they sound like complete a**sholes. The level of entitlement is off the charts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Quote them for your planned work, whatever it is... 600 Euro? 700?
    Ask them will they be paying cash before the wedding.
    If they're cool to do that, then maybe take their cash, do their painting (job done). Decline the invitation.

I don't know what ties you have to these people, but if there's nothing tying you to them, I'd be cutting them ties...
    Tbh though, would be best to tell them exactly what you think about requests for gifts and that you've no interest in attending their wedding or staying in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭NewYork1979

To be honest I'm getting a bit annoyed with the OP. I just don't see why you'd even contemplate going to this wedding and why you'd even be friends with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Feed Up

I have never come across a 'specific gift' but I think a gift list is a great idea.

For me anyway it takes all the hassle out and you also know that they want the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Jaysus, I thought I'd heard it all with wedding related shenanegans!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

assuming this isn't a windup, surely someone from their family or close friends would tell them that this is not the done thing in Ireland (or anywhere else I'd suspect). They sound deluded, living in a self-absorbed wedding bubble, someone needs to snap them out of it.

OP - how well do you know these people, is it in keeping with their character generally?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The icing on the (wedding) cake really is the bike for the kid. This is something the happy, greedy, avaricious, scheming couple should be buying themselves for the child if they feel it's required. To ask a guest to provide it is just the most presumptuous and self centred thing I have ever heard. If these people go any further up themselves theyll turn inside out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

OP seriously.... This has HAS to be a windup???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Neyite wrote: »
    No, the same one. :) I call it dinnergate to differentiate it from the usual bridsmaidsgates that happen.

*wonders if the mod is open to bribes to reinstate that thread...*

I thought at the very end after bridesmaid gate thread was closed Toots did actually post an update from the OP? I remember reading it and it posted about what actually then went down on the day. I'm sure I read what happened in the end. Perhaps the thread has since been deleted.... Maybe I dreamt it??!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement