Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chain Saw Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Well lads... I use a husqvarna chain saw on the farm.. the 1 things id love to know is how to sharpen a chainsaw.. I bring it to a fella to sharpen it and it costs €8 every time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Sharpening and maintaining a chainsaw chain and bar is something you will pick up very easy if shown. A filing guide set can be got very cheap. One like in link below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/File-Guide-Sharpening-Kit-Suit-STIHL-Chainsaws-Choose-Your-Size-From-Box-/390538337965?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&var=&hash=item5aede61ead

There are electric sharpeners and other gadgets but the basic kit will do the job. Paying someone €8 a go to sharpen your chain gets expensive.

This you tube video is pretty good, gets going at 4 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

ive a new ms261 18inch bar and in fairness its eating through load of spruce that is 1 year old

ive felled 2 years old oak tree on land that id love to tidy up and be great burning no doubt but would it be awful hard on new saw and chain.. should I put an older chain on it for this job and spare my good one for the soft wood its at.. thanks

If both chains are the same it wont matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Cowabunga

Bodacious wrote: »
    ive a new ms261 18inch bar and in fairness its eating through load of spruce that is 1 year old

ive felled 2 years old oak tree on land that id love to tidy up and be great burning no doubt but would it be awful hard on new saw and chain.. should I put an older chain on it for this job and spare my good one for the soft wood its at.. thanks

Running a saw with a blunt/dull (older chain) is never a good idea. It dogs your saw, it's components and the operator. Make sure it's as sharp as can be. You'll get the best longevity out if it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Bodacious wrote: »
    should I put an older chain on it for this job and spare my good one for the soft wood its at.. thanks

Chains are considered consumables. You should always have plenty of good sharp ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Quick question that I cant seem to find the answer off through google.

What percentage of ethanol is there in petrol in Ireland. Are we running something like E10?

reason I ask is because I never gave it much thought till I watched a you tube video.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

jonon9 wrote: »
    Quick question that I cant seem to find the answer off through google.

What percentage of ethanol is there in petrol in Ireland. Are we running something like E10?

reason I ask is because I never gave it much thought till I watched a you tube video.
    Supposed to be 6% but given the variable quality of Irish Fuel, both diesel and petrol I would think it can vary either way from that base spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Cowabunga wrote: »
    Running a saw with a blunt/dull (older chain) is never a good idea. It dogs your saw, it's components and the operator. Make sure it's as sharp as can be. You'll get the best longevity out if it.

Chains and bars are often neglected in chainsaw work. They are the most important part. A dull chain takes a saw from great to near worthless. Keep them sharp and your bar dressed:

Here's a vid I did recently with a dull chain and worn bar - then sharp(ened) chain and worn bar with some mods - then sharp chain and newish bar with the same mods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2I7uPprq5U

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Tried out a 560XPG today at the local dealers as Husqvarna were there running some end of year promotions. What a cracker of a saw. I can only imagine what it would be like if Reindeer worked his magic on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Tried out a 560XPG today at the local dealers as Husqvarna were there running some end of year promotions. What a cracker of a saw. I can only imagine what it would be like if Reindeer worked his magic on it.
    Ya can't do much in relation to porting with the new autotune saws. Can only be mildly ported with less % power increase etc. Have a 550 myself and don't yet feel the need to do any tuning work in it. Little screamer

Just put 9 tanks through my ms 362 and boy what a saw the m-tronic isnt bad at all, a few more tanks and she should be fully set in. See a few threads on the net about muffler mod I wonder is it worth the price for that extra bit of grunt.

kay 9 wrote: »
    Ya can't do much in relation to porting with the new autotune saws. Can only be mildly ported with less % power increase etc. Have a 550 myself and don't yet feel the need to do any tuning work in it. Little screamer

I suppose there's enough going on already to make them rev as well as they do.

Haven't had a chance to do anything with the 395 but maybe time will present itself to me over the Christmas and new year holidays.

The AutoTunes do port well, but you have to know what you're doing and they require lathe work to really shine. I don't have a lathe myself, though. But a typical muffler mod seems to work really well onvthem.

So, a 560XPG appeared under the Christmas tree.... It seems my notes of pricing (€879 plus VAT) and a savage discount (to €690 pus VAT with an 18" bar, three chains and 5L of aspen) all set out on the dealers brochure was noted. Completely unintended as a hint but that's what it was taken as!

I hadn't mentioned the 543XPG nor the 395 as they were bought from my 'play fund' and the assumption was made that I still wanted a new saw, and that must be the one I wanted as it was the only one with pricing. Fair play to ya Santa!

My mind now turns to porting the 242XP...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gerry29

Hi Guys
    I'm doing a chainsaw course in Portlaoise in Jan or feb was wondering if anyone has finished this course could you let me know how it went I'll be staying in a b&b could you recommend one also if anyone else is taking this course would you get in touch
    cheers Gerry

Gerry29 wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    I'm doing a chainsaw course in Portlaoise in Jan or feb was wondering if anyone has finished this course could you let me know how it went I'll be staying in a b&b could you recommend one also if anyone else is taking this course would you get in touch
    cheers Gerry

Are you doing it with KTC training?? If you are the two lads that train in chainsaw are spot on I did my 30/31 with them there a few weeks ago, I didn't get to do the final assessment as I had to rush home family emergency but will be back up in January to sit my assessment. When I was there I had to stay in a hotel as it was they only thing I could get cheapest that week.

If it is KTC the training center is only a few km from the town center but the forest you be cutting in is near Abbeyleix

Are you doing it with KTC training?? If you are the two lads that train in chainsaw are spot on I did my 30/31 with them there a few weeks ago, I didn't get to do the final assessment as I had to rush home family emergency but will be back up in January to sit my assessment. When I was there I had to stay in a hotel as it was they only thing I could get cheapest that week.

If it is KTC the training center is only a few km from the town center but the forest you be cutting in is near Abbeyleix

And it is a gorgeous area - where the last forestry show was, no? Or was that year before last?

So, a 560XPG appeared under the Christmas tree.... It seems my notes of pricing (€879 plus VAT) and a savage discount (to €690 pus VAT with an 18" bar, three chains and 5L of aspen) all set out on the dealers brochure was noted. Completely unintended as a hint but that's what it was taken as!

I hadn't mentioned the 543XPG nor the 395 as they were bought from my 'play fund' and the assumption was made that I still wanted a new saw, and that must be the one I wanted as it was the only one with pricing. Fair play to ya Santa!

My mind now turns to porting the 242XP...

Bring it on over. They are one of my favourites. ;)

How do you like the 543?

• Advertisement

Just put 9 tanks through my ms 362 and boy what a saw the m-tronic isnt bad at all, a few more tanks and she should be fully set in. See a few threads on the net about muffler mod I wonder is it worth the price for that extra bit of grunt.

If you are handy with a dremel, a muffler mod is something you can do yourself. The MTronics wake up well with one.

This is a 261 missing it's baffle and the outside muffler port enlarged:

http://m7.i.pbase.com/g9/22/22/3/158364757.gbjFojnk.jpg

Reindeer wrote: »
    And it is a gorgeous area - where the last forestry show was, no? Or was that year before last?

Can't remember it could have been the year before.

Bring it on over. They are one of my favourites. ;)

How do you like the 543?

The 543 is great. It's light and fast and ideal for the 6-8" silver and downy birch I'm processing for firewood at the moment. It will also do fine for clean up after some second thinnings in the woods due to take place in the next few months.

I will think a little more before committing to doing anything with the 242 but it's very tempting. It's more that it CAN be done than any need!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gerry29

Thanks for that it's a Coillte run course is that KTC

The 543 is great. It's light and fast and ideal for the 6-8" silver and downy birch I'm processing for firewood at the moment. It will also do fine for clean up after some second thinnings in the woods due to take place in the next few months.

I will think a little more before committing to doing anything with the 242 but it's very tempting. It's more that it CAN be done than any need!

How does it compare to the 242?

How does it compare to the 242?

I have to say I think it's a good saw compared to the 242. I don't like the auto return stop switch or the choke control, both of which are better on the older saws. I could say the same about the 560 too so it's not a big deal.

With the same 13" 1.3 bar and chain combo as what's on the 242, it's a little ripper. Whether you've had a 242 or not, it's a lovely little machine for what it's designed to do. It's well built and very well balanced and the chainbrake lever is snappier, easier to set and a bit closer to the back of the left hand. All good things.

Twin bar nuts and chain tension adjust on the outside which is better, and it oils very well. Clutch cover is plastic but it's well up to the job and while it'll scuff and whatnot, a replacement is only €27. I've ordered one and a couple of spare flywheel cover decals to set aside for when the time comes to sell it on or just to freshen it up.

Not much to grumble about at all. The heated handles are better than the ones on the 242 too. Heat quickly and damned hot!

Gerry29 wrote: »
    Thanks for that it's a Coillte run course is that KTC

No KTC is an independent Training facility.

It's dead in here.

I suppose all the husky fellas are cutting wood and all the Stihl fellas are fixing their hair....

What? Who said that!

[Duck out again quickly]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

It's dead in here.

I suppose all the husky fellas are cutting wood and all the Stihl fellas are fixing their hair....

What? Who said that!

[Duck out again quickly]

Too professional.... everyone's afraid to open their mouth. And all the Jono and Solo boys are used to having no friends, so don't even log on..........

• Advertisement

It's dead in here.

What? Who said that!

[Duck out again quickly]

A come on now Having nice looking hair is part of having a Stihl :D

Was actually out cutting today and was trying out my new combi can with them refill spouts the misses got me for xmas, not a bad piece of gear really cuts down on making extra trips back to get the oil can.

Advertisement