Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intruder Alarm Questions and Answers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

djkat wrote: »
    Hi Koolkid

It is for the wireless model

I was asking were you quoted for a wireless system because the spec seems to be skimping on perimiter protection
    Jnealon wrote: »
    The signet 300 is a bit OTT for a domestic alarm plus it's 3 times the price of the standard 100 model. The 100 version is more that enough for any domestic alarm system

I was suggesting this model if he wanted IP access . Was also asking him to query what he was getting for the price he was quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

sorry to high-jack the thread, but a quick one for KoolKid, as he seems to be up on his alarms.

What sort of dialler would you recommend for an aritech alarm? I would like something that would allow me to access the alarm over a standard phone.

If i knew the protocol aritech use to the keypads i could probably make up something to control it over my broad band... but that seems like too much work at the moment :o

<aside>
    I'm wondering if we should have an alarm sticky, which has info regarding diallers ect...
    </aside>

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Depending which Aritech panel you have.. Presuming its a CS350 then there is no straightforward option for remote access.
    You could use something like Astecs Gate to Mobile which takes a sim card & gives you an open/close relay out, connecting the relay into a zone programmed as arm/disarm.
    Although with the CS350 only having 6 zones something will have to be sacrificed.

koolkid wrote: »
    Depending which Aritech panel you have.. Presuming its a CS350 then there is no straightforward option for remote access.
    You could use something like Astecs Gate to Mobile which takes a sim card & gives you an open/close relay out, connecting the relay into a zone programmed as arm/disarm.
    Although with the CS350 only having 6 zones something will have to be sacrificed.

Thanks for the reply... Ummmm might have to make something up to communicate like a key pad to the system.

I might try get an old aritech panel & key pad and set up something on the bench to play with...

sounds interesting...

• Advertisement

Do you think there might be a product in it?

I do some work with machine to machine communication, accessing stuff across the internet. A high percentage of houses have a DSL connection which could be used to access alarm + heating + lighting.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fold2john

The panel I would recommend would be thr HKC 8/12.

I took over all the alarm work from an electrical contractor who did not want to get a license from the PSA. His company had been installing Astec for a number of years. My heart is broken repairing them. Even the most simple of jobs, like changing a battery takes at least twice as long, as you also have to remove the PCB to get at the battery.Which is only a 2amp battery by the way. Where most panels will accomadate a 7 amp.

Most wholesalers in Dublin dont even stock it anymore, that alone must tell you something.

I used 120 Aritech CS250 panels on a project two years ago as they were all monitored systems and as the 250 has the digi on board it was cost effective. It was a mistake. The maintenece on them is much higher than a HKC panel, so in the end it has cost me I reckon.

In one wholsaler I use I have been told that the 8/12 outsells the 250 by 100 to 1. They dont stock Astec!!!!

Hi Koolkid,

Your name would'nt be ............. by any chance would it ?

Jost curious !
    :D

Edit by Stoner . <<Bang him down a PM to check who he is, thanks>>

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

<aside>
    I'm wondering if we should have an alarm sticky, which has info regarding diallers ect...
    </aside>

we have one, made it in November, but people don't use it, I can go back and merge them if people think that would be a good idea?

Or maybe a more catchy sexy name

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Do you think there might be a product in it?

I do some work with machine to machine communication, accessing stuff across the internet. A high percentage of houses have a DSL connection which could be used to access alarm + heating + lighting.....

BTW, don't Firmax have a product that does this, lights, heating, blinds and heating already.

We've put em in but as per usual people dont use em to their potential.

I'll request the infor from one of our O&M manuals later on

• Advertisement

Ok I killed threads that took many hours to type, they were in part informative reading, but they had too much bite IMHO.

Debate is great, this is a forum for both the expert and someone with DIY questions.

I'm locking the thread as per the request.

I know that if I asked a question on a forum and saw it develop into a pi--ing contest I don't think I'd be back.

But this is what we are I guess (me included). We need to be civil and helpful. :)

Please keep posting guys your input helps a lot of people. Thank you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Moved to the land of amps and watts. Have a happy snowday :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

The alarm on one of doors doesnt go off when you open the door but it does when you close it.

Is this something i need to an electrican in for or is it something simple that i can fix myself

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sig226

I have a new HKC and find it great.
    It was simple enough to fit although I got a bit of assistance, but I would be quite happy to tackle the next one on my own.

fold2john wrote: »
    Limited to 12 zones vs 60+ on Astec Fusion
    Much more features on the Fusion for the same price.
    The HKC 8/12 I would compare to the CS350 great for its time but its now time to move on.
    His company had been installing Astec for a number of years. My heart is broken repairing them. Even the most simple of jobs, like changing a battery takes at least twice as long, as you also have to remove the PCB to get at the battery.
    If your heart is broken repairing his alarms maybe you should blame him & not the Astec panel for the problems.
    Which is only a 2amp battery by the way. Where most panels will accomadate a 7 amp.
    Irrelevant!! Astecs current consumption is a lot lower that most.
    Do the maths & you will see that the 2amp holds up sufficiantly to comply with EN50131. As for changing the battery??? 10 minutes as opposed to 5 for €100 is still good value.
    Most wholesalers in Dublin dont even stock it anymore, that alone must tell you something.
    Yes it tells me that we are all getting a better price by dealing with Astec direct.

Sounds like the contact is fautly.
    Easy enough to change. Buy a replacement & rewire colour for colour & you should be fine.
    If you need any help with it PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I took over all the alarm work from an electrical contractor who did not want to get a license from the PSA. His company had been installing Astec for a number of years. My heart is broken repairing them. Even the most simple of jobs, like changing a battery takes at least twice as long, as you also have to remove the PCB to get at the battery.Which is only a 2amp battery by the way. Where most panels will accomadate a 7 amp.

I used 120 Aritech CS250 panels on a project two years ago as they were all monitored systems and as the 250 has the digi on board it was cost effective. It was a mistake. The maintenece on them is much higher than a HKC panel, so in the end it has cost me I reckon.

In one wholsaler I use I have been told that the 8/12 outsells the 250 by 100 to 1. They dont stock Astec!!!!

The HKC is a good panel but at this stage its very outdated and from what I hear there's a newer version coming soon so don't be to quick buying one.

There was a problem a few years ago with the Astec MC sensors they were showing up faulty alot but they fixed that problem then and they are a good reliable system now, perfect for a DIY install for someone with a bit of know-how.
    I can change a battery in an Astec system in about one minute, very easy. If you have trouble doing that it might explain why you have trouble with repairing them and BTW a 2.1 amp battery is more than sufficiant for their panels.

I mainly use the CS250 panels and find them extremely reliable. I have literally put in hundreds at this stage in fact we were installing them before any other company to test them before they went into full production. I have never had a faulty panel back. I also find them much easier to install/programme than HCH. They do have their limitations like maximum of 24 zones, only eight analyzed zones but by and large they are one of the best out there.
    Their wireless stuff is the best wireless out there IMO albeit expensive but you pay for what you get.

Don't get me wrong the HKC is a good panel but I think the Aritech is better. Maybe installers like it better because you don't have to duel the resistors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

is it wired or wirefree? if its wirefree the sensor could have been learned into the panel in the normally open instaed of the normally closed.

The alarm on one of doors doesnt go off when you open the door but it does when you close it.

Is this something i need to an electrican in for or is it something simple that i can fix myself

thanks

Sounds like the inertia sensor is working, but the reed switch is not. It could be that the reed switch has gone fault (not sure if this ever happens) or was never wired up.

Can you post a pic of the sensor here, it might give us a better idea.

is it wired or wirefree? if its wirefree the sensor could have been learned into the panel in the normally open instaed of the normally closed.
    What are you referring to here??:confused:
    Why would an alarm zone on a door be programmed normally open???:confused:
    The contact is faulty is the most likely problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

koolkid wrote: »
    What are you referring to here??:confused:
    Why would an alarm zone on a door be programmed normally open???:confused:
    The contact is faulty is the most likely problem

with some of the wirefree panels,specifically ge panels if the sensor is learned in with the magnet beside it or the dil switches are in the wrong position it shows normally open as opposed to normally closed once the sensord is leaned into the panel. ive no idea why they do it but it caught me out once or twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 FKH

Would anyone know how to reset the service code 77 on an Astec 49 Alarm. The regular manual is no help. I have the engineer code and the screen says "access" and "engineer" when I enter it but I don't know what to do then.

If you enter engineer mode then press 'clear 99' this will bring you back out of engineer and the '77' messsage will be gone.

it caught me out once or twice.
    Really???:eek: An open zone is something fairly obvious.:eek:
    Anyway we're getting a bit off topic. From what I can gather the OP is referring to a fault that has just arose. As I stated already its most likely to be a faulty contact or MC.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

its my back door,

the alarm system has been in for about 5 years

the sensor is on the top of the door

i dont think it is a wireless system, as the electrican put wires in when the house was rewired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 FKH

That didn't seem to work I'm afraid.

I enter fn then 0 and type in my code and then screen says "access" on left hand side and "engineer" in top right. I presume this is the engineer screen?

Is there any other manual for this alarm which explains everything?

FKH wrote: »
    That didn't seem to work I'm afraid.

I enter fn then 0 and type in my code and then screen says "access" on left hand side and "engineer" in top right. I presume this is the engineer screen?

Is there any other manual for this alarm which explains everything?

You are not in the engineer menu. The 'strict EN50131' option is enabled in the programming which means that the user code must be entered before the engineer code. You need the engineer code I'm afraid. The user manual wont help you without the Eng. code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NewRSoul

Hi,

As there seems to be a few knowledgeable people on here - Can the CS-250 and it's on board dialler do SIA signalling into a Monitoring Centre?

I'v read the book I've got (looks really old though) and it looks like you need to blow a chip, but it does look like ContactID or Fast Format only.

Thanks in advance!

in response to fred funk. what a load of bull. first of all i did'nt say i was having trouble repairing astec panels. i said my heart was broken repairing the worthless piece of crap. secondly, i seriously doubt you could change your shirt in 1 minute judging by some of the amatuerish comments i have seen your names attached to. and thirdly its called dual end of line and it is optional on the HKC panel as is non eol and single eol.

before you start pointing people in the direction of astec and aritech, explain to them why most wholesalers dont stock astec and why hkc outsells aritech by such a wide margin.

• Advertisement

in response to fred funk. what a load of bull. first of all i did'nt say i was having trouble repairing astec panels. i said my heart was broken repairing the worthless piece of crap. secondly, i seriously doubt you could change your shirt in 1 minute judging by some of the amatuerish comments i have seen your names attached to. and thirdly its called dual end of line and it is optional on the HKC panel as is non eol and single eol.

Sorry!!! Fold2john,
    Are you a PSA & NSAI licenced installer?
    That sort of response does not show you to be any way competant.
    You are certinly not the type of person I would let into my house to do any work, let alone someone I would entrust with the security of my property. As I have already said if you are having that much trouble with Astec panels then either you & they guy who installed them before you (who is not a certified installer I might add) is doing something wrong.
    The Astec Panel conforms to EN50131 as does HKC & Aritech & others.
    Therefore the problems you are having are cause by either your lack of understanding of how this system works or simply bad workmanship.
    To say one is a piece of crap just because your heart is broken fixing other peoples mistakes shows you to be very childish. If you are going to debate something at least put up a valid argument.
    Hkc outsells aritech by such a wide margin.
    Can you please post figures from all major suppliers in the country to back up this claim..
    HKCs features are now fast becoming outdated in comparision to the SigNet & Fusion panels.
    Also the reason a lot of wholesalers (not most!!) dont stock Astec is because a lot of installers buy direct from Astec.
    This is a situation the wholesalers caused for themselves by not getting involved with Astec from the start.
    its called dual end of line and it is optional on the HKC panel as is non eol and single eol.
    Here again you have shown you inexperience , NON EOL would not be an option to comply with EN50131.
    John I really wonder what your agenda is ?
    You register here & make 3 posts 2 Rants & 1 more concerned about who I am. Yet you still havn't PMed me to ask.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement