Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best House Alarm?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 jamesbond

Xennon wrote: »
    Any opinions on the Visonic gear?, is there a source in Ireland for this kit?

i was involved in testing the visonic, we installed 20 trial units and removed 20 due to faults

koolkid wrote: »
    Can you tell me what problems have you had with the fusion.
    I was involved in testing & I have used this from the start with no issues to date.
    i havnt installed the fusion,i have had reports on the astec with regards resistance problems,think it was a softwear problem,its put me of installing them,how do you find the fusion,i take it your in the buiseness of installing

think r.e.w do the visonic also

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

jamesbond wrote: »
    i havnt installed the fusion,i have had reports on the astec with regards resistance problems,think it was a softwear problem,its put me of installing them,how do you find the fusion,i take it your in the buiseness of installing

There is no problems with the Fusion that I have found.
    It is very reliable & flexable. To judge the brand without trying it is a bit silly really. Its a bit like saying I had problems years ago with a CP32 so Aritech is no good.

There is no problems with the Fusion that I have found.
    It is very reliable & flexable. To judge the brand without trying it is a bit silly really. Its a bit like saying I had problems years ago with a CP32 so Aritech is no good.
    thats what i was saying i havnt tried the fusion,only what ive been told about the origional astec,i was thinking of getting a fusion to try out,how are they price wise against the hkc panel and sensors

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Price wise similar to HKC . Astec sensors have always been a little dearer but the time saved makes up for that.
    With the fusion you can also mix global sensors with Astec 2 wire sensors.

Price wise similar to HKC . Astec sensors have always been a little dearer but the time saved makes up for that.
    With the fusion you can also mix global sensors with Astec 2 wire sensors.

ill have to get one to trial,the text is available now on the new astec isn't it,all the other guys out there i know dont use the astec,just in case you run into problems its nice to ring someone who's installed them,
    ive mainly done the other range of panels,what type of wirefree panels do you use,
    there are so many wireless panels out there now,hard to pick a decent one,

There was never a software issue with Astec.
    Most of the problems were that people didn't understan how the system worked.
    If installed correctly you will have very few problems. But bear in mind their older systems 63 & 49 are less forgiving of bad connections.
    For wireless I think the best out there for domestic is the SigNet.
    The best wireless would be GSD but at the moment this is not geared or priced towards the domestic market.

There was never a software issue with Astec.
    Most of the problems were that people didn't understan how the system worked.
    If installed correctly you will have very few problems. But bear in mind their older systems 63 & 49 are less forgiving of bad connections.
    For wireless I think the best out there for domestic is the SigNet.
    The best wireless would be GSD but at the moment this is not geared or priced towards the domestic market.

cheers,that gsd is that that new panel people are talking about,id say thats expensive,600 zones definatly commertial,
    havnt used the signet yet,mainly use the 250 or hkc with bridge,
    nice talkin to you,ill let you know how i get on with the astec fusion.
    take it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,612 ✭✭✭✭altor

Xennon wrote: »
    Any opinions on the Visonic gear?, is there a source in Ireland for this kit?

its a good system but dont like the sensors on it, replacing batteries every two years is a must. a year for contacts and motions. you can get them in cork in isd.. pm me and i will give you there phone number..

• Advertisement

jamesbond wrote: »

only problems i have come across with the astec is if it is installed wrong. so easy to install cant believe how many i have come across so badly installed..

+ 1 Fully agree with altor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭wingnut

Up to date recomendations - House is prewired for alarm - 3 door contacts, 8 window contacts. Want GSM Dialler as I have no landline. What system would you recommed and where can I pick it up. I'm thinking the HKC as most of the discussion has veered towards this. Who are the best suppliers>?

SigNet 100 will cost the same as HKC with much more features.
    Upgrade to 200ip will give you remote access.
    SigNet GSM dialler will also accept text commands to the panel.
    There is no logical reason to go for HKC with whats out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭wingnut

recommend a supplier?

If you are in Dublin
    http://www.rspl.ie/reliablesecurity/Main/Home.htm

probobly should move to electrical

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Hi all, not usually in this part of boards but was googling HKC wiring and this thread came up and hopefully someone here can help me out.
    I'm in the middle of installing a HKC alarm in my house and am a little confused as to how to wire the internal bell, on the diagram for wiring the SABB it shows to connect from the stobe + & - terminals from the SABB box to the internal bell terminals in the control panel, is it as simple as putting both sets of cables into the internal bell terminal of the control panel or am I missing something somewhere? The manual is pretty sketchy on the wiring parts. Also where will I wire up the tamper of the internal bell to as I have all 8 zones used up?

On a seperate note can anyone recommend a GSM dialler to me, I'm being quoted some silly prices and an awful lot of places I rang about it knew very little about them.

I'd appreciate if anyone here can help me out

Finne1993 wrote: »
    Hi all, not usually in this part of boards but was googling HKC wiring and this thread came up and hopefully someone here can help me out.
    I'm in the middle of installing a HKC alarm in my house and am a little confused as to how to wire the internal bell, on the diagram for wiring the SABB it shows to connect from the stobe + & - terminals from the SABB box to the internal bell terminals in the control panel, is it as simple as putting both sets of cables into the internal bell terminal of the control panel or am I missing something somewhere? The manual is pretty sketchy on the wiring parts. Also where will I wire up the tamper of the internal bell to as I have all 8 zones used up?

On a seperate note can anyone recommend a GSM dialler to me, I'm being quoted some silly prices and an awful lot of places I rang about it knew very little about them.

I'd appreciate if anyone here can help me out

Hi Finne1993,
    You are correct, the internal bell goes in with the external bell. you could wire the tamper in with the external bell tamper if you have no zones left.

The gsm is expensive for the hkc, about €400 plus vat. It gives you remote access to your panel for setting and disarming also.

Hope this helps, any problems let us know.

altor wrote: »
    Hi Finne1993,
    You are correct, the internal bell goes in with the external bell.
    Dont you men the strobe goes with the internal??
    If the internal bell goes with the external then eith all or none will cut out after 15 minutes.

Delly can you move to electrical?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

altor wrote: »
    Hi Finne1993,
    You are correct, the internal bell goes in with the external bell. you could wire the tamper in with the external bell tamper if you have no zones left.

The gsm is expensive for the hkc, about €400 plus vat. It gives you remote access to your panel for setting and disarming also.

Hope this helps, any problems let us know.

Yes, that worked fine, thanks. Its pretty easy setting up the HKC once you take your time and study the book for a while.

It does'nt neccessarily need to be a HKC GSM dialler, all I want is to be given a phonecall when the alarm goes off and to be able to stop the dialler ringing the other numbers thats on its list by pressing * twice or 8 twice etc. Thats the type of one my folks have in their house but they have a phoneline.
    I've seen other ones for £195stg delivered on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GSM-Intruder-Burglar-Alarm-Auto-Dialler-Speech-SMS_W0QQitemZ390072823892QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Burglar_Alarms?hash=item5ad226f054&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

This claims to work on any alarm, where on the HKC control panel would this be connected to to trigger the dialler?

• Advertisement

Finne1993 wrote: »
    Yes, that worked fine, thanks. Its pretty easy setting up the HKC once you take your time and study the book for a while.

It does'nt neccessarily need to be a HKC GSM dialler, all I want is to be given a phonecall when the alarm goes off and to be able to stop the dialler ringing the other numbers thats on its list by pressing * twice or 8 twice etc. Thats the type of one my folks have in their house but they have a phoneline.
    I've seen other ones for £195stg delivered on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GSM-Intruder-Burglar-Alarm-Auto-Dialler-Speech-SMS_W0QQitemZ390072823892QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Burglar_Alarms?hash=item5ad226f054&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

This claims to work on any alarm, where on the HKC control panel would this be connected to to trigger the dialler?

Its like everything, easy when you know how :D
    As for the gsm on ebay.. Our high performance GSM autodialler is a great add on for almost all wired intruder alarm systems. I would advise you to stay away from ebay when buying anything to do with your alarm.
    Cant fault the hkc gsm so if its worth doing right stick with that for your alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭fitzie79

i am looking for an alarm system for my new build. the house is wired for 6 different zones and all windows/doors are wired for contacts. the features i would be looking for are as follows:

control panel (ideally with key fob)
    gsm dialler
    ip connectivity
    camera on driveway that activates when someone sets off a motion detector

what would be the best system available? i will be installing it myself (i know that this means that i can't get a discount for my house insurance). are there systems available that have a camera or would this need to be a sperate system?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

The europlex signet 220 will take care of the first three.
    You will need a dvr for the cctv. Most dvrs have built in motion detection which will activate a buzzer in the dvr. This works be detecting any change in the picture, including shadows, rain etc Depending on the make the motion detection can be a bit hit and miss.
    You could also use some external motion detection like gjd or redwalls connected to the alarm inputs on the back of the dvr.

where can i get the europlex signet 220. is it possible for a diy-er to buy it?

Of course.. Most good security wholesalers will have these.
    Where are you located?

cork or limerick would be the handiest cities for me.

i tried ringing a few of those places listed but they didn't do the europlex alarm. any place that is listed on the europlex website that i have tried only sell to trade. does anyone know of places in cork that definately sell europlex to diy-ers?

Phone Europlex 012500500 I'm sure they can tell you.

• Advertisement

Phone Europlex 012500500 I'm sure they can tell you.

should have thought of that myself!

rang them up and they gave me names of 2 companies in coek. both sell to trade only though. rang back and asked europlex for the name of a supplier who deals with the public but they said they didn't know if their distributors deal with the public

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement