Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Order of malta or Red Cross

• 29-08-2012 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭XxAshlingxX

I have a choice of the two but would like some info on them.

Whats the training like (levels) ?
    Are any acceppted as stepping stone to a paramedic?
    What Costs are envolved ?
    Whats normal duty ?

Any other information such as other events they hold ect

ps im in athlone area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Topper7

I have a choice of the two but would like some info on them.

Whats the training like (levels) ?
    Are any acceppted as stepping stone to a paramedic?
    What Costs are envolved ?
    Whats normal duty ?

Any other information such as other events they hold ect

ps im in athlone area.

Cant speak about the units in Athlone but generally both organsations do the same work.
    -Both organisations would have similar training (CFR, OFA, EFR, EMT) & would normally meet weekly where they discuss upcoming activities & do a bit of training.
    -Neither are 'stepping stones to paramedic' but the expierence in either would stick to you.
    -Generally there is no costs involved only your time & transport to & from the base. (All though normally other lads can pick you up on the way or pick ya up in ambulance etc).
    -Both groups do different types of duties. OMAC has the contract for horse racing & generally cover larger events such as eletric picnic, ploughing etc. They also do a good bit of community care work. IRC covers a good bit of the GAA fixtures in the midlands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Normal duties could range anywhere from 3-4 hours up to 12-13+ hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 fougachap

Do these bodies do a garda vetting check on you before you join ?or what vol emergency services can you join without gettin Garda checked'
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

fougachap wrote: »
    Do these bodies do a garda vetting check on you before you join ?or what vol emergency services can you join without gettin Garda checked'
    thanks

Garda vetting required for all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Any job, including voluntary work, where you'll be working unsupervised with children or "vulnerable adults" (such as the elderly, people with disabilities or injured people) requires Garda vetting. Don't worry too much about it. It's not a case that you'll automatically fail if you've any convictions at all, it's just a risk assessment.

For example, if you've a conviction for shoplifting, that's likely to be disregarded.
    Also, I think (but don't quote me on this) if you've been convicted and acquitted, you're grand.
    It's just if you have any violent convictions, or anything against those groups, that kind of thing might affect you.

Topper7 wrote: »
    -Both organisations would ... normally meet weekly...
    Some country units it's twice weekly, others it's less frequent. Not sure about Athlone.
    -Neither are 'stepping stones to paramedic' but the expierence in either would stick to you.
    It does help to know people in the industry though, even if just to keep your confidence up and to have someone to talk to about recruitment etc.
    -Generally there is no costs involved...
    Can't speak for IRC (because I don't know) or OMAC (because it's against the forum charter) but certain organisations do have some initial costs, such as a charge for uniform or basic kit. For example, SJAB (this is public domain, it's on their website) charge about €100 for your basic first aid course. Then if you want anything fancy and cool, it's usually at your own expense, but that'd be stuff you could do without or borrow (like SpO2 monitors).

Best thing you can do is give the OC a call and ask. Or maybe drop down to the next meeting of each. Be honest, tell them you're still deciding who to go with and they'll tell you all the differences!

• Advertisement

Could you make it to Ballinasloe? Strong Civil Defence unit down there is another option, a lot of the instructors there are APs and serving paramedics (15+ IIRC)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭XxAshlingxX

Would love to join the CD, but im a student and i dont drive so im stuck it athlone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Just to clarify Maddux Gray Albums point, if you turn up to Ballinasloe CD you're not going to find 15 or more paramedics waiting to train you, he's trying to play up the fact that loads of paramedics on the road right now cut their teeth in the unit, although in fairness, it's always more down to the commitment of the individual to whatever organisation they join where ever they are rather then the pedigree of their training unit.
    I would also call issue with Topper7's point about voluntaries not being stepping stones to paramedics, they are not compulsory I'll grant but they do stand to applicants a lot better in interviews and assessments.
    My advice to the OP would be attend the meetings of both and see how you like the people and take it from there. Talk to the officers in charge about what they do and what events they cover and how frequently you can gain frontline experience.

flazio wrote: »
    Just to clarify Maddux Gray Albums point, if you turn up to Ballinasloe CD you're not going to find 15 or more paramedics waiting to train you, he's trying to play up the fact that loads of paramedics on the road right now cut their teeth in the unit, although in fairness, it's always more down to the commitment of the individual to whatever organisation they join where ever they are rather then the pedigree of their training unit.
    I would also call issue with Topper7's point about voluntaries not being stepping stones to paramedics, they are not compulsory I'll grant but they do stand to applicants a lot better in interviews and assessments.
    My advice to the OP would be attend the meetings of both and see how you like the people and take it from there. Talk to the officers in charge about what they do and what events they cover and how frequently you can gain frontline experience.

Apart from the "play up" comment, pretty spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

Richie15 wrote: »
    Can't speak for IRC (because I don't know) or OMAC (because it's against the forum charter) but certain organisations do have some initial costs, such as a charge for uniform or basic kit. For example, SJAB (this is public domain, it's on their website) charge about €100 for your basic first aid course. Then if you want anything fancy and cool, it's usually at your own expense, but that'd be stuff you could do without or borrow (like SpO2 monitors).

Best thing you can do is give the OC a call and ask. Or maybe drop down to the next meeting of each. Be honest, tell them you're still deciding who to go with and they'll tell you all the differences!

All Vols orgs charge for their respective basic first aid courses along with the other courses they do.

I do agree with your last statement about calling in to the relevant organisations & discussing your options with the OIC's

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

All Vols orgs charge for their respective basic first aid courses along with the other courses they do.

sorry but all the orgs do not charge their members for courses

I've never paid a penny for training

Exactly AFAIK St. Johns charge for Basic courses , OMAC dont, aint got a clue about Red Cross though

Been with Civil Defence 10 years, never got asked for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Miscellaniac

miju wrote: »
    Exactly AFAIK St. Johns charge for Basic courses
    In fact, St Johns charge for all courses from first aid up to EMT. Plus charges for uniform and so on.

Scabby feckers. I paid naught for my uniform apart from the high-vis. Didn't pay anything for the CFR/EFR/EMT either.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Exactly AFAIK St. Johns charge for Basic courses , OMAC dont, aint got a clue about Red Cross though

Order of Malta do charge for a first aid course, as does Irish Red Cross, as does St.John Ambulance.

Civil Defense don't as they are state funded.

Erm sorry no OMAC do not charge their members for their courses

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    Order of Malta do charge for a first aid course, as does Irish Red Cross, as does St.John Ambulance.

Civil Defense don't as they are state funded.

Are you talking about a public FA course? Or a members course?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

public courses.

• Advertisement

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    public courses.

OMAC do charge for public FA courses. On a unit by unit bases depending how much. Can't speak for my own as we don't do them.

BX 19 wrote: »
    OMAC do charge for public FA courses. On a unit by unit bases depending how much. Can't speak for my own as we don't do them.

we weren't discussing public FA courses. we were discussing courses for members

we weren't discussing public FA courses. we were discussing courses for members

Go back 2-3 posts

BX 19 wrote: »
    Go back 2-3 posts

I know that but before that we were referring to courses for members

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Miscellaniac

Do OMAC / Red Cross expect members to buy their own first aid kits for use on duty?

In the main for OMAC no they aren't expected to buy their own stock or kit bags.

Though with that said alot buy their own gear like myself I find a Statpack easier to carry when your walking / standing for a few hours. Statpack bags obviously aren't standard issue

In the main for OMAC no they aren't expected to buy their own basic stock or kit bags.

If you want anything fancy, like a sphyg or an SpO2 monitor, you've to buy it. :)

Richie15 wrote: »
    If you want anything fancy, like a sphyg or an SpO2 monitor, you've to buy it. :)

that would depend on units also but in the main yeah

that would depend on units

I'm looking to transfer soon, I'll bare that in mind! :P

• Advertisement

Ours is one of the generous ones feel free to come join us LOL

Advertisement