Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Engagement Ring - FACTS, not fiction

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Its to do with fluorescence in the diamonds, under UV light it will turn blue.
    The less fluorescence in a diamond the better- slight to nil is preferable.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's also worth noting that the value of the diamond can be significantly reduced if the fluorescence is medium upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

thanks for the replies! thought i might have somethign to do with the quality of the diamonds........im just glad no-one said they are the real ones and the rest are fakes :D

Well technically it does have to do with the quality of the diamonds. They're real, but of lesser quality than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Seamus is professional and down to earth and knew exactly where i was coming from. He explained everything to me about diamonds (including the 4c's)

Leaving it to a jeweller to educate you on the 4Cs -- or any other explanation of 'diamond value' -- is to leave yourself open to a vastly under-informed purchase.

Before taking anyone else's words for it, make sure to do your homework and then shop your quotes around with many different types of jeweller. I.e. standard high-street chain, independent fabricators, antique dealers and internet retailers with normal office hours and a functioning phone.

With the economy the way it is, all retailers are open to unusual deals -- especially retailers with an average 100 - 200% markup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭REFLINE1

Hi guys,
    Quick question,if you are getting a ring made with a jeweller ,is it standard practice just to pay a deposit untill the ring arrives,or will they look for full payment up front?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Quick question,if you are getting a ring made with a jeweller ,is it standard practice just to pay a deposit untill the ring arrives,or will they look for full payment up front?
    Thanks

I have sent you a PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ian10

Hi Guys,

So i have decide on the type of ring i want i am nearly sure of what qualities to look out for, im heading out to dublin the weekend (weather pemitting) to see if i can find what i want. Below is what i hope is the right ring. Can you let me know if the 4c's are right here?? any suggestions would be great

DM15510000_RD_setmain}
    View | Remove
    Three-Stone Diamond Ring

Your Center Diamond:

Signature Ideal-cut, D-colour, VS1-clarity, Round, 0.81-carat Diamond

Your Sidestones:

Ideal-cut, D-colour, VS2-clarity
    Total Carat Weight: 0.62
    Stock #: LD01939417
    Stock #: LD01705633
    Your Setting:

Three Stone Pavé Diamond Ring in Platinum
    Stock #: 16514
    Size: N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ringbuyer

Hi,

My fiancé and I recently bought our engagement & wedding rings in New York after spending a lot of time researching online and getting advice from family & friends. We also got a huge amount of helpful tips from both boards.ie and askaboutmoney.com forum posts for which we are very grateful, so wanted to share our experience of buying in the diamond district with others and help those who might soon be doing the same.

I understand that some readers may object to the buying of an engagement ring outside of Ireland and we would not like to deter buyers from choosing Irish wherever possible. In our case, our work and travel situations allowed us the option of buying stateside and I hope this post will simply be a guide to those in similar situations.

Before making the trip, spend time reading up about buying rings abroad. The websites that we found helpful were:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds/diamond-education

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2002/feb/13/shopping.familyandrelationships1

http://www.diamondhelpers.com/fivesteps/buy-a-diamond-all.shtml

http://ezinearticles.com/?Buying-Diamonds-in-the-Diamond-District---A-Diamond-Buying-Survival-Guide&id=2009174

http://www.thediamondbuyingguide.com/

http://www.diamond-buying-made-easier.com/diamond-district-buying.html

Get a good idea of the shape, cut, colour and clarity you should be expecting from your budget from either diamondideals.com or bluenile.com and print them out before you go. Consider buying your wedding rings while you are there too, there will also be a huge range to choose from and prices are very competitive. It is also a particularly good idea to do this for the bride to be’s rings, as they will be worn together after the wedding day.

When in New York, give yourself at least two (half/full) days to shop for the ring. The first day can start with some of the bigger names, like Tiffany’s & DeBeers. Here you can get a feel for the lingo and no pressure sales process. You may well also find the very ring you are looking for right there! After these, you can venture into the diamond district, which is nearby at around 5th avenue and 47th street. The diamond district is made up of retail shops/centres at street level and wholesale merchants in upper floors. The retail centres are made up of groups of jewellery dealers operating in shared shop spaces along the street. The dealers have small booths/cabinets side by side and some have small offices to the back of the stall. This is a different shopping experience to the 5th avenue stores so get familiar with the sales process by approaching a dealer or two you will probably not be buying from. Once you have spent some time looking at all your options, it is a good idea to take a break in the evening and look over your prefernces. You can then go back the following day with a clear head and make the more considered choice.

We chose a platinum solitaire ring with a round brilliant shape diamond. It seems the most popular shape of engagement diamond and the type which dealers had the widest choice. From your printouts and comparing dealers, you can gauge if the prices you are being quoted are competitive and you can decide on a diamond with the cut/colour/clarity to suit you.

There are a number of choices of certification with each diamond usually coming with either a GIA, AGS or EGL cert. The scale of comparison for these certificates are NOT the same, so we decided in advance to only accept a GIA (understood to be the highest) certificate with ours. Be careful here as for example, a near colourless colour level on one certificate type, may be rated only faint on a GIA cert.

This is a handy site to give further information about certification of diamonds:
    http://www.diamondvues.com/2004/12/diamond_grading.html

Probably the most important aspect of all is to be comfortable with the dealer you are buying from. We found a number of recommendations on the Irish forums and were recommended some by family/friends also. I will list the details and info of some of those we met with:

Ideal Diamond Source – 76 W 47th St. (Gall 26) – Ph: 212-221-0222. This was one of the dealers we had visited on our first day and we found the prices very good & both staff who assisted us on the day were very helpful and accommodating.

Salvatore & Co. – 55 W 47th St. (Booth 39) – Ph: 212-398-1200. We read a number of recommendations on Irish websites about visiting Salvatores & asking for the “Aer-Lingus” discount. It seems that so many ask for this here that if you are Irish, they ask if you are with Aer-Lingus before you start to discuss jewellery! We were quite disappointed with the quality and prices of the diamonds we were shown at Salvatores and were not generally impressed with the service there.

Haniken Jewelers – 66 W 47th St (#24) – Ph: 212-302-6605. Hanikens was another one of the dealers recommended on a number of Irish websites and we found the service was friendly and the prices were quite competitive.

Klim Jewelry – 66 W 47th St. (Booth 39) Ph: 212-869-3950– We found the staff at Klim to be far and away the friendliest and most professional amongst any of the dealers we visited. We had been recommended by a family member to visit them and were not disappointed. The quality and price of the diamonds and rings that we were shown very far ahead of anything we had seen up to that point and we chose to buy our engagement and wedding rings there. We were able to get a significantly larger carat GIA cert diamond with a better cut and colour for a similar price than we had been offered anywhere else. The rings were resized perfectly overnight and from our experience, I can’t recommend Klim highly enough.

To ensure peace of mind about the purchase before we left New York, we had an independent valuation carried out. We went to Macy’s (151 W. 34th Street), which has its own jewellery appraisal service on the 9th floor and the gemologists are GIA graduates. It is a bit expensive (expect to pay about 1% of the final valuation fee), but we felt the reassurance of having a known retailer value it was worth it for us. If you do this, you can also ask the appraiser to see the laser inscription on the diamond & match it to your cert. We had expected the value of the ring to be considerably higher when valued in Ireland, but were amazed when the Macy’s valuation was more than twice what we had paid.

All in all, it was an enjoyable experience to buy our rings in the diamond district, but one I would only recommend to those who do some research before they go. The selection and value far exceeded what we had looked at in Ireland, even taking all additional expenses into account.

Finally, a few other tips from the web that might help:

- A diamond is one fifth of a gram. All dealers should show you the weight on a scale when you are examining them & it should be the same weight that is on the cert.
    - Platinum is marked Platinum, PT or PLAT, only if it is at least 95% pure platinum. This will also be tested during appraisal.
    - On all jewellery purchases, ensure that all representations made, including type, name, grade, colour, etc, etc. are included on the sales slip as well as all details of payments.
    - Keep an eye: on the diamond when having it appraised, cleaned, etc. This is good advice in many places, not just New York, as the net has plenty of stories of stones being switched!

Good luck to those heading over & most importantly – have a great time!!

If anyone has an issue with a post please use the report post button rather than taking the thread off-topic.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I have deleted the recent off-topic posts on this thread. In future, if anyone has doubts as to the authenticity of a poster, please use the Report Post Button report.gif and a moderator will look into it and decide whether or not the poster is genuine.

Going forward, anyone posting on-thread accusations of spamming/shilling/advertising will receive an infraction.

mark.leonard, I've removed the phone number from your post as we don't allow them to be posted on Boards. People can still contact you by PM if they so wish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Zaph wrote: »
    mark.leonard, I've removed the phone number from your post as we don't allow them to be posted on Boards. People can still contact you by PM if they so wish

Good enough Zaph, thanks.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Due to the massive amounts of spam/shill posts on this thread, I'm locking it until further notice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement