Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows: Teak/iroko versus Scandinavian pine?

Options
  • 08-04-2010 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,
    Does anybody know in terms of durability, weather resistance etc. is teak/iroko really the best job for windows? Does the Scandinavian pine that is sold by ********* compare with these?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

I think the general consensus is that if you don't mind painting or varnishing windows every few years there shouldn't be issues in using pine. Of course if you do but still want timber windows but dont want the maintenance there is always the cladding option.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 middling

Thanks for the replies. Some interesting reading in that other thread. Think I am even more confused now!!

We are leaning towards timber rather than clad timber.. just prefer the look of it.

I know any timber will have to be maintained every few years, but just wondering if the Scandinavian pine would need more frequent maintenance than teak (or some other hardwood), or if it's much of a muchness.

Also whether the ultimate lifetime of the two are different, though my gut feeling is that if they are properly maintained either should last forever...?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

I don't think the frequency of maintenence would be dependent on the species of wood used but more on how the paint/varnish was applied and the quality of the paint/varnish used. Look at the old Georgian buildings in Dublin the windows there are 100, 150 or more years old and still functional.

Advertisement