Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extension

• 07-08-2020 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

How much would you estimate it would cost to knock down an exsisting extension that's 13 sq m and to build a new extension that goes the width of the house that works out roughly 25 sq m , to include a kitchen ( I know you can go as high or as low with this so just for an estimate we will say your standard kitchen no marble anything like that ) see what people say so I have an idea before I start ringing around so I know roughly what I'm in for, thank you very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

To include the demolition which includes inspection of existing, labour, removal of material etc on top of factors unknown as in can the new works be tied into old extension foundations, support of 1st floor changes, relocation of water, gas, oil boiler feeds etc, basically 2.5k a sqm is on the ball for new works finished with certs

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

Thank you , no oil or gas lines to be moved thankfully the gas is entering from front of the house and the boiler is front of the house too, would that include the ktchen too?
    Basically ball park 60k,. I'd live with that if it was anywhere around that.

When you say the width of the house, only assuming now it is a standard 3/4 bed house about 8m wide?? , again assuming if it the width of the back your opening up??.... that's a major engineer designed steel with possible leading edge foundation supports/columns as the upper floor load is on a smaller base/footprint holding up the wide rsj, your not far off but 80-90k min if kitchen isn't quartz / marble as you say. Also access plays a big part in works. To pour your new foundation or slab may only require a mini dumper but if tight access a pump is required at multiples the 1 day cost of a dumper/ labour.

That escalated v quick didn't it ha ha from 2.5k sqm which would work out just under 60k to 80/90k,
    When you say open up, do you mean open the wall fully to make it open plan?
    The plan would be where the window is to change that into double doors that would lead into the extension.

Hah, sorry , I had a brain fart last night and calc 75k, blame the gin.yes 62.5k is 2.5k x 25sqm

What I meant was from your description reg the width of the house if I can visualise it's what you want, was its popular to remove the whole rear wall at ground floor level and support upper floors with steel and columns. New engineer designed foundation pads are required for the columns (vertical steels) at each edge supporting a bigger horizontal steel holding up the house upper floors and blocks to create a new open plan area, when done even at only 25 sqm with the rear wall removed it looks massive and people can have living and kitchen space together

Regardless , get 3 builders to quote , and if you can afford it get an architect on board as they can create light and space you didnt forsee for a fee you wont notice if your happy it falls into the square metre price finish cost.

• Advertisement

Gin would do that to you alright ha ha, that's a good starting point anyway at least I know what I'm potentially in for, thanks for your help , I'll let you know how I got on with the quotes, and yes I'll get minimum 3, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Following this thread now as it is similar to what I'm about to undertake myself. We are taking down an existing sunroom and building more modern (and slightly smaller) living area. We are also taking down an non load bearing internal wall to open up the dining area and kitchen. This will require moving the boiler and electric fuse box. Also on the other side of the house we are extending the downstairs toilet and playroom out 1.5m and turning playroom into the new utility.

I have gone out to window\door suppliers, construction vendors and plumbers so far

I got my first quote.....80k 😱😱
    I did say to the misses when he came to look at the job I didn't think he wanted to do it, so hopefully that quote was just so I would go with him ha ha but I'm not so sure

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kiptinui

I got my first quote.....80k 😱😱
    I did say to the misses when he came to look at the job I didn't think he wanted to do it, so hopefully that quote was just so I would go with him ha ha but I'm not so sure

Did you get any more quotes? Considering some work myself so dead curious!

Just waiting on lads to get back to me the usual stuff

• Advertisement

For anybody that might still come accros this, i got a few quotes in and it works out avr 55-60 builders finish, ie all plumbing , electrics plaster etc but no kitchen fitted

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Comeback and confirm when completed. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Bigserious1

For anybody that might still come accros this, i got a few quotes in and it works out avr 55-60 builders finish, ie all plumbing , electrics plaster etc but no kitchen fitted

Hi was this in Dublin? About to start pricing up a very similar job soon on our house in Dublin 9. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Can I ask did you finally go ahead & how much did it cost. Did you do any of the structural works provided above in the previous posts & did this add significantly to the cost, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MercNS

Love an update also?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 City Eagle

Similar project, c €80k quote. Starting next week. Things are more expensive now with COVID, brexit and impact on materials.

City Eagle wrote: »
    Similar project, c €80k quote. Starting next week. Things are more expensive now with COVID, brexit and impact on materials.

What size are you going with? Removing rear wall of house for open plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

What type of roof on extension - flat or A type or lean-to?

It is the addition of 25 sq meters and demolition of existing structure of about 10 sq meters. Roof is pitch at either side and flat in the middle, with 5 velux and Aluclad slider. it includes creating a larger open plan kitchen and insertion of utility also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Have you an architect for this?

If not, did you look for one?

Need do a similar job - actually a fair bit less than what you are doing - and have been quoted 15k plus VAT from first architect I spoke to. Bit taken aback.

• Advertisement

Sounds crazy.

No, had a design an build co do stage one, their quote was awfully expensive after design. Got a friend QS involved and he did a lovely design himself got it drawn up and was 40k cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Sounds crazy.

No, had a design an build co do stage one, their quote was awfully expensive after design. Got a friend QS involved and he did a lovely design himself got it drawn up and was 40k cheaper.

Brilliant.

So you didnt use the original design from the design & build co?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sounds crazy.

40k cheaper by a QS doesn't not mean the same value was reached with a builder.

Did you get someone to complete the work ?

15K, just for the architect I presume?

I have 1 at the moment and she does it in stages. PM if you'd like more info

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Brilliant.

So you didnt use the original design from the design & build co?

No, different drawings, but loosely based on their design.

listermint wrote: »
    40k cheaper by a QS doesn't not mean the same value was reached with a builder.

Did you get someone to complete the work ?

QS agreed the price with a builder and he’s signed up to start.

In terms of shortages, he is saying hard to get Velux windows and price of timber is volatile.

Advertisement