Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Back cycling but on a MTB this time.

• 05-08-2020 7:12pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bit of an odd one but thought id post post about it anyways.

So a little over 2 years ago i made the decision to quit road bike cycling as for about 12 months prior to that i was getting increasingly bad knee pain until eventually it got unbearable to even spin in the easiest gear on my bike on the flat.
    I had being cycling for about 6 years prior to quitting and i loved everything about it, i got heavily involved in our local cycling club, the fitness gain was pretty dramatic ,it was good for me allround.

I had a serious accident in work a few years before i started cycling, almost lost my left leg, plates and pins still inplace from knee down to ankle, twas nasty for sure, its a long story but basically the net result was on tough cycles pretty much 90% of the power went through the good leg
    which then caused the knee issue.
    I put it down to trying to keep up with the super fast lads in our club on weekend spins off all types of terrain for quite a few years took its tole on who was practically a one legged cyclist.
    One physio friend and another i went to for second opinion both advised quitting so i did when i couldnt hack the pain anymore.
    I simply left it at that as i was able to walk and do everything else in my life with no knee pain.

It was incredibly frustrating as it was my main source of keep fit.
    Let me explain, i actually turned to cycling back at the beginning after my accident as could not run or play football anymore because the nature of my injuries were crush injuries therefore i have very poor circulation in that leg
    so removing metal that literally reconstructed my leg is not option.
    Healing would not be sufficient to heal whats left after any removal.

Fast forward last week when i borrowed a mountain bike and took to the canal trails i have being walking the last year or so.
    Fully expecting to be hit with instant pain i ended up doing a 48K spin the canals with absolutely no pain.
    I simply could not believe it, since then ive bought my own MTB and been out on it twice since for shorter 20k spins on the canals but bigger gears and still no knee pain.

My question now is it actually possible that the knee pain i was caused by bike and or setup?

It timeframe does roughly coincide with when i bought a new lighter road bike while i had no issues for 5 years with the previous two bikes.
    Note i did have a professional bike fit done on the bike i was suffering knee issues on but not on the previous two.
    Is it just conicidence?

My plan now is to continue with the MTB on the canals all around where i live with some road thrown in here and there also on the MTB, i will also keep up the long walks usually anything from 5k-25k
    I intend to spin to win for all im worth while cycling for fear of knee issues arising again.
    I am praying those two years pure envy of seeing cyclist out and about are behind me, right now i couldnt be happier.

I hope im doing the right thing getting back out there and im very open to suggestions and advice from people on here, maybe someone has a similar story?

If you read this fair play and thanks for reading, i didnt think i would go so deep but there you go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Fair play to you. 25k is some walking! That'll keep you trim far better than any cycling. I'd say just enjoy the pedalling and don't get too competitive about it.

I sometime muse upon what I would turn to if I couldn't cycle anymore for some physical reason - the very odd time I get a little knee twinge especially, then I down tools and step away from the bike for a few days rest. - I reckon though if I had to abandon the bike I'd try swimming maybe. The only question then would be what to do with all the extra time I'd have on my hands! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Fair play on getting back at it without issues. I also have a massive power differential in my legs cos of disability I was born with and struggle with every bike I own in one way or another, I just try and make the best of them and have only 1 issue going at a time :pac: it is hard on the back I find cos when you're putting power through only one side of your body it gets really skewed. I worry about it getting so bad I can't pedal. I can't run at all or walk far or stand for any length of time, so I'm really limited in what I can do if I can't cycle.

If you were on the previous 2 bikes for 5 years without issue, would you consider measuring the fcuk out of them and then transferring that across to other bikes? I borrowed a bike one time, and it was and still is the only time I never felt pain in my body on the bike and I bitterly regret not measuring the fcuk out it at the time. I borrowed it for just one spin. I am still raging about it 5 years later!

Happy mountain biking, and fair play on all the work that goes into recovering from such a major injury. It's not easy, and you never stop rehabbing!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

"My question now is it actually possible that the knee pain i was caused by bike and or setup?"

Is it possible it's caused by not enough play in the pedals if you were using clipless pedals? It might be fine by other people putting the same pressure through both legs but you using one leg more might require a bit of movement to compensate for the extra pressure. I'm not even remotely an expert but you were fitted for the bike but probably just tightened up the pedals yourself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

tigerboon wrote: »
    "My question now is it actually possible that the knee pain i was caused by bike and or setup?"

Is it possible it's caused by not enough play in the pedals if you were using clipless pedals? It might be fine by other people putting the same pressure through both legs but you using one leg more might require a bit of movement to compensate for the extra pressure. I'm not even remotely an expert but you were fitted for the bike but probably just tightened up the pedals yourself.

Pedals were clip in with cleats.
    I didnt make any changes after bike fit, always felt they were a waste of money as i was fine on two previous bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Suffered from horrible knee pain at one point and it was down to a weak VMO following knee surgery. Took 3 physios to figure it out and was sorted by gym and soft tissue work.

Bike fit is also important, even saddle width can impact knee position.

• Advertisement
Advertisement