Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Water not flowing out of kitchen sink tap properly

• 05-08-2020 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi there,

I went to use the tap in my kitchen sink this morning to find that no water was coming out of it when I turned the cold water tap fully on. If I left it on for maybe 3 or 4 seconds then eventually water would come out but it wouldn't be a strong stream. It would be a trickle of water.

If I left the tap on completely for a while the stream would run for a couple of seconds and then stop completely and then begin again and then stop again. It does this in a cycle.

The tap in my bathrooms works fine as does my electric shower. I'm just wondering would this problem fix itself or is there something wrong with my plumbing system?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭segosego89

Okay, now the kitchen sink tap has completely stopped working. No water at all is coming from the tap.

The tap in my bathroom still works though. Is it safe for me to drink water from the bathroom sink until I've figured out how to fix the kitchen sink tap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Is your water supply off?

In my house mains water only goes to the kitchen tap, the rest of the taps are feed by the house water tank.

krissovo wrote: »
    Is your water supply off?

In my house mains water only goes to the kitchen tap, the rest of the taps are feed by the house water tank.
    I live in a rented apartment. I'm not sure how to check whether my water supply is off? My electric shower, toilet and bathroom sink work fine at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭wench

The cold tap in the kitchen is coming straight from the mains. Have you checked with any neighbours if they also have issues? (Or with Irish Water)

The other outlets are normally supplied by the tank in your attic. I wouldn't recommend drinking it.

wench wrote: »
    The cold tap in the kitchen is coming straight from the mains. Have you checked with any neighbours if they also have issues? (Or with Irish Water)

The other outlets are normally supplied by the tank in your attic. I wouldn't recommend drinking it.
    I'll try to contact one of the neighbours tonight if I can.

If the water that supplies the cold tap in my kitchen comes from my mains and it's not working at all at the moment does that mean it's possible that the water that is supplying my bathroom sink,shower and toilet etc will eventually stop working also when the water in the water tank that resides in my attic will run out? In other words is the water that is coming from the water tank in my attic being supplied by water coming from the mains?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭wench

Yes, if the mains are off, the tank won't refill and will eventually run out.
    If that happens you could end up with air locks, so I'd take it easy on the power showers until it's sorted!

wench wrote: »
    Yes, if the mains are off, the tank won't refill and will eventually run out.
    If that happens you could end up with air locks, so I'd take it easy on the power showers until it's sorted!
    Okay, thanks for letting me know. I have a hot press room and at the bottom of the hot press are three red valves. Would these valves have anything to do with the water mains? If I wanted to turn the water mains off would I have to deal with those valves?

I haven't gone near any valves or anything at all. This thing just happened all of a sudden today. Could it be a leak?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

If there are flats on higher floors knock and ask if there supply is ok, same with flats on the same floor.

Is there any work been done outside or in nearby streets? what floor are you on , it could be a problem with the pressure in your area.

Don't move any valves at this stage because whatever the problem is it wont be solved by a random turning of valves that most lightly to do with the heating or hot water.

Phone Irish water or go on their website. next stage is your landlord.

nick

nick 56 wrote: »
    If there are flats on higher floors knock and ask if there supply is ok, same with flats on the same floor.

Is there any work been done outside or in nearby streets? what floor are you on , it could be a problem with the pressure in your area.

Don't move any valves at this stage because whatever the problem is it wont be solved by a random turning of valves that most lightly to do with the heating or hot water.

Phone Irish water or go on their website. next stage is your landlord.

nick
    Cheers for the reply.
    I'm in the uppermost floor in the apartment complex that I'm in. I don't think that there's been any work done around the area.

I don't pay Irish Water a fee at all for water usage. Am I still entitled to ring and get help from them? I remember reading that they can call out free of charge the first time you ask for it...I might be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

segosego89 wrote: »
    Okay, now the kitchen sink tap has completely stopped working. No water at all is coming from the tap.

The tap in my bathroom still works though. Is it safe for me to drink water from the bathroom sink until I've figured out how to fix the kitchen sink tap?

Not recommended. The water in the bathroom usually comes from the storage tank in the attic. If this tank isn't covered, you never know what might get into it and make its way to the bathroom taps.

• Advertisement

Up Donegal wrote: »
    Not recommended. The water in the bathroom usually comes from the storage tank in the attic. If this tank isn't covered, you never know what might get into it and make its way to the bathroom taps.
    It's okay now. The water come back on. They were doing work on the water system in the area. They could have told people. I had to find out by looking online about it.

Advertisement