Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,015 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The Cornstore was good on Saturday, good service, good food. Was very busy, and this was 6.30.

Have been to Coqbull, but only for lunch. Food is very nice!

Lining up Iberian Way next.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

For people asking about Salt I've been there a few times since it's opened- twice for lunch and once in the evening and all three experiences have been very positive.

Firstly, essentially its two different venues- a cafe/bistro style menu for lunch and a wine bar with a smaller tapas-y menu at nigtt.

It's been jam packed each time I've been in there and any time I've walked past.

Firstly for lunch, they have 3 types of burger- regular beef, crab and veggie. I've had the regular and it was really tasty, better than Coqbull or Gourmet Burger imo. I've also had their quesadillas which were great and huge for €8.50.

They also have sandwiches and salads which looked lovely. All lunch items can be ordered for take out at smaller price, which is alway a nice touch imo.

At night, the menu is smaller and more in line with a typical wine bar- meat board, cheese board, Smaller slider versions of their burgers from the lunch menu, Croque moinseur , chicken wings and a few other things.

The cheese board was very good and the chicken wings, while nice, I wasn't too gone on the sauce, but that was more to do with my taste rather than the quality.

Overall have been very impressed. It can be a bit chaotic in there tbh, but that is to be expected considering, (a) it's only open and (b) they could hardly have expected it to be out jammed out the door on a Wednesday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Nice review, Footoo. I look forward to trying it out some evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thanks Footoo - hopefully it won't be packed out the door on Saturday night....although it's Saturday so probably will be....will try to get in there early

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

leahyl wrote: »
    Website here http://saltcork.ie/

Bonus points for not making me download a pdf of their menu just to read it once!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

Thanks Footoo . I find the site a little crap as they don't mention anything about wines or list them and the evening menus

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Does anyone know what's going in across from Paddy the Farmers? (Where 'Hello France' was). It looks like it could be a coffee shop. Nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭whatever76

yep - new coffee shop. I understand same crew from Alchemy in Barrick St but I could be wrong.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Langford-Row-Coffee-Music-Store/531240397035091

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

any recs for a cheap (good!) meal in the city centre on a sat night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

jadie wrote: »

HillBillies?

You've a good few pages of recommendations here. What kind of food are you looking for, and what's your budget?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

Cant go wrong with Scoozzis or Milanos

Ha, not a take-away!! Don't like Milano's or Scoozis to be honest.

pwurple wrote: »
    HillBillies?

You've a good few pages of recommendations here. What kind of food are you looking for, and what's your budget?

I was thinking Brick Lane but saw it got very bad reviews on trip-advisor. Budget is low-ish and don't mind the type of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Milly33 wrote: »
    Cant go wrong with Scoozzis or Milanos

You can certainly go wrong with Milano. So wrong that we haven't set foot in the place for years!

I have been to Brick Lane and found it very good (just the one time so far). It is quite a bit carnivore so if you have veggies in your midst then it may not be the best option. They have some amazing cocktails too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I was thinking Brick Lane but saw it got very bad reviews on trip-advisor. Budget is low-ish and don't mind the type of food.

Aroi is lovely and pretty reasonable too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Orso? Food's delicious and very reasonable imo

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Went to Quinlan's last night and am now thoroughly in their camp. They served me a plate of fried squid that was not only massive but also tender, fresh and only lightly battered. Nice wedge of lemon with it, fresh salad that wasn't drowned in dressing and a nice, homemade chili dipping sauce. Lovely.

My friends had cod and fries and salmon, both were very happy with their meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Léan wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's going in across from Paddy the Farmers? (Where 'Hello France' was). It looks like it could be a coffee shop. Nice spot.
    whatever76 wrote: »
    yep - new coffee shop. I understand same crew from Alchemy in Barrick St but I could be wrong.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Langford-Row-Coffee-Music-Store/531240397035091

Yup, it's the Alchemy crowd. It's going to be more of a lunch place than the one on Barrack Street. Also, they're styling it as a record/cafe as opposed to a book/cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Budget is low-ish and don't mind the type of food.

Not much to go on when you immediately rule out the first two recommendations given...
    northgirl wrote: »
    Orso? Food's delicious and very reasonable imo

+1 to ORSO.

How about Cafe Mexicana? Been 2 years since I was last in there but I've always liked it and it doesn't break the bank. You'll need to book a table though.

You could go for the pub + pizza route. Franciscan Well, Rising Son, Sober Lane and The Sextant are a few places that spring to mind.

Gourmet Burger Bistro is good too. Reasonable price and great burgers. I've recommended it on this thread before and the person came back happy :)

Thanks may go with Gourmet Burger, see they do a €20 euro all evening menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Ramen is going into the old La Lavanda spot in Douglas, will be interesting to see how it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭sporina

i have yet to try Aroi - my bro felt ill after the chicken he had there so i am reluctant - though i know how popular it is..

still miss Banna thai.. for takeaway...

Ramen is going into the old La Lavanda spot in Douglas, will be interesting to see how it does.

It's will go down a storm in Douglas just like Eco. Douglas has an amazing capacity for enthusiastically embracing rubbish restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's will go down a storm in Douglas just like Eco. Douglas has an amazing capacity for enthusiastically embracing rubbish restaurants.

Douglas, Dennehys Cross, Cork city, Ballincollig, Midleton... amazing how many rubbish food enthusiasts there are out there. :rolleyes:

Douglas, Dennehys Cross, Cork city, Ballincollig, Midleton... amazing how many rubbish food enthusiasts there are out there. :rolleyes:

I thought there was only one Eco. (smartass face)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Went to Salt on Saturday night and thought it was very nice :) It was busy but we managed to get a table (only 2 of us). There was a tapas menu on a blackboard on the wall; I ordered the Italian tartine which was bruschetta with mozzarella, parma ham, pesto and tomato and a side salad. My friend had the bread plate which had breads with coriander hummous, olives, red pepper tapenade and fresh pesto. We had a glass of wine each.

It was very reasonable and a lovely place to go early on in the night, they stop serving food at 9.30 so could get some tapas there and then head to Goldbergs or town after.

I would recommend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

sporina wrote: »
    i have yet to try Aroi - my bro felt ill after the chicken he had there so i am reluctant - though i know how popular it is..

still miss Banna thai.. for takeaway...

Dont bother with Aroi. Its awful.

gimmick wrote: »

I've enjoyed Aroi any time I've been.
    Great value and authentic Asian flavours.
    Might depend on what you order, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭sporina

gimmick wrote: »

well if they delivered i would probably give it a go but as they don't.. nah..

had a take out from my reserve thai Eden last weekend and it was a miss.. sad as the one I had previously was good..

there is gap for a really good thai restaurant in town....

In the meantime, I think I will just make my own from now on..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Chili Padi is very good.

Also, amazed that Aroi is being talked down. Ridiculous. It is very good and excellent value.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement