If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Soundbar, I think

• 27-08-2015 9:05pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Some advice if you don't mind, looking for a sound set up for the front room.

Room is medium sized I guess. Not sure the exact dimensions. I'm thinking a soundbar may be best but open to suggestions on a more surround setup.

Would like a good setup for listening to music also, streaming preferably. I was looking at the Q -Acoustic M4, but was also thinking of a soundbar with a seperate wireless Sub too (e.g Yamaha 203).

Any advice or what the advantages/disadvantages of each would be? 

Thanks,
    Adrian.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

adrian522 wrote: »
    Hi,

Some advice if you don't mind, looking for a sound set up for the front room.

Room is medium sized I guess. Not sure the exact dimensions. I'm thinking a soundbar may be best but open to suggestions on a more surround setup.

Would like a good setup for listening to music also, streaming preferably. I was looking at the Q -Acoustic M4, but was also thinking of a soundbar with a seperate wireless Sub too (e.g Yamaha 203).

Any advice or what the advantages/disadvantages of each would be? 

Thanks,
    Adrian.
    Adrian,

many thanks for the post and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

There is one significant issue with your query - the M4, the Damn M4 is so good that it really has blown all other Sound-bars clean out of the water - and it doesn't even have a sub, I'm still a bit stumped as to how Q Acoustics have got it sounding so good - I'm just putting it down to decent quality drive units and excellent standard of construction, frankly it just sounds remarkable!

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200641-m-4.aspx?swapstore=1

If you wanted some options - at a lower price the Philips HTL5140 is good and also has a separate sub ( but it doesn't have the punch and detail of the Media 4) bt its a fair bit less expensive at just €299.99
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201499-htl5140.aspx

If you wanted a bar including sub and you were prepared to spend a little more, then the new Denon Heos Home Cinema is really excellent - a super slim sound-bar with a compact matching sub AND it has pretty amazing networking fetures:
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201491-homecinema.aspx

The Heos HomeCinema sounds superb and is fairly uniques as its designed to work with all-action movies or enjoying the subtler sounds of music, the HEOS is able to cope with it all. Whats more, exclusive Virtual Surround processing delivers an immersive sound experience without the need for rear speakers.

The subwoofer is compact and connects wirelessly and the Heos features Dolby Digital and DTS decoding - best of all the heos is just one part of a complete multi room system connected together either by Wifi or wired Ethernet connection. You can control the Heos Home cinema from either a smartphone or tablet and besides amazing TV sound yu can stream from Spotify Connect,Napster TIDAL ( Tidal sounds great!) Deezer, TuneIn and other services offering DRM-free tracks. Supported music files include MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC and WAV, making it compatible with just about all stored music libraries.

When it comes to connecting up your TV, HEOS has got every option covered. For the best quality sound and vision use HDMI. The HDMI socket also has ARC (Audio Return Channel) meaning just one cable carries the sources picture to the TV and the TVs sound back again. If you'd prefer a different connection, both optical and coaxial digital inputs are also standard. If your TV doesnt have any of these you still may be in luck with the analogue input. This accepts a signal from your TVs headphone output.

I know its a bit of a left field option but if you are looking for step up from the Media 4, I'd strongly recommend you have a look at the Heos Home Cinema..

Keep us posted,

ATVB,
    John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Food for thought certainly, looks good but also nearly twice the price :(

• Company Representative Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

adrian522 wrote: »
    Food for thought certainly, looks good but also nearly twice the price :(
    Yep but is does have so many more features and it sounds great - if you are just looking for a simpler great sounding bar with Bluetooth then I really would highly recommend the M4.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks John, Media 4 arrived today. Very happy with it, big sound.

Sound bar is bigger than I expected but music and TV both sound great.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.