Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teaching a subject not TC registered to teach.

• 16-09-2019 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi.
    A teacher is TC registered to teach History only. However this teacher has 10 years experience of teaching English overseas. The teacher has applied to 2 jobs.
    Job 1 is History and English. I believe teacher is allowed to teach English in this context because she is hired as a History teacher and is just doing English as a second subject?
    Job 2 is to teach English only. Can the teacher be accepted for this role? She is not registered to teach English.
    Job 2 is a much better school in a great location for us.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Depends on the school. However there are many qualified English looking for work so it would be very unfair for the school to hire them. Unfair to students and qualified English teachers alike.

Regards option 1, there’s no such thing as an unqualified English teacher being allowed to teach English because that’s the 2nd subject. Teacher is qualified in history teaching only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

Op is tying themselves in knots. As long as you are registerable with the TC (e.g. with history) then 'needs of the school' dictate you can be put into any subject.

Not desirable, but goes on in most schools to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Aquals

Yes I agree with the above. Registration with the Teaching Council is the main thing that matters. In my experience, the exact subjects that you are registered to teach is less important and the school will put you in teaching whatever they need you to teach. I’ve had to teach something that I’m not qualified in every year since I qualified!

If the school hire you for the job, then it’s only them (and not you) that might get into trouble with inspectors about teachers not qualified in the subjects they’re teaching. So go for whatever suits you best!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Aquals wrote: »

If the school hire you for the job, then it’s only them (and not you) that might get into trouble with inspectors about teachers not qualified in the subjects they’re teaching. So go for whatever suits you best!

Inspections will still point out any problems with the person helping the school out by teaching a subject without a qualification.

Even if the whole staff know it was not your subject and you may have been almost coerced (contracts, hours etc.) into taking it on, it is still humiliating (and unnecessary) for a teacher to see him or herself described as lacking in subject specific methodology an Inspector's report, when they were only trying to do a favour for the Principal/get themselves a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

They are suggesting applying for an English job which they are not qualified to teach! When there are qualified English teachers available for work all around the country. There’s no logic here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement