Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oculus Go

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,297 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

but is this any better than a Samsung Gear if you have the S8/S9?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Skerries wrote: »
    but is this any better than a Samsung Gear if you have the S8/S9?

yup, better visuals and more power as no overheating issues

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Got mine today. Only got a quick drop into netflix but even that has me super excited and is part of the reason along with big screen vr why I wanted one! Gonna mod it with a little anker lipstick battery on top to get me through the days when I want a matinee too :D

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Got mine today. Only got a quick drop into netflix but even that has me super excited and is part of the reason along with big screen vr why I wanted one! Gonna mod it with a little anker lipstick battery on top to get me through the days when I want a matinee too :D

Let us know how the pr0n works out too

mrcheez wrote: »
    Let us know how the pr0n works out too

You know I almost went to bed without a look. Should have enough battery life left at 4% :pac:

• Advertisement

You know I almost went to bed without a look. Should have enough battery life left at 4% :pac:

Ya 4% should cover you for the requisite 5-10 mins :D

Ok all I'm going to say about that is it is less gimmicky than it has any right to be :pac:

The only other VR headset I have tried are the cheap mobile housing ones but I really am enjoying the Go, getting hard (note to self: bad word choice considering previous topic) to justify trying it in this weather though, it is portable but I don't want to explain how I got that particular tan line in work tonight!! :D I just wish it had made a bigger splash with non tech types in Ireland as I have no one to watch movies with or play bad chess with in my social circle... Even trying to explain what is to friends on facebook shows how niche vr still is.

Ok all I'm going to say about that is it is less gimmicky than it has any right to be :pac:

The only other VR headset I have tried are the cheap mobile housing ones but I really am enjoying the Go, getting hard (note to self: bad word choice considering previous topic) to justify trying it in this weather though, it is portable but I don't want to explain how I got that particular tan line in work tonight!! :D I just wish it had made a bigger splash with non tech types in Ireland as I have no one to watch movies with or play bad chess with in my social circle... Even trying to explain what is to friends on facebook shows how niche vr still is.

I'll probably bring mine into work when I get it (next month) as lots of people in here are interested in trying.

Will end up nice and grubby after it I imagine, but hey if it gets more people into VR it's worth investing in a box-full of glasses cleaner wipes :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It seems fairly limited to me, outside of watching stuff as if it was on a big screen (which isn't in HD I guess?) and playing some games, what does it do to entice non tech heads to vr?

It seems fairly limited to me, outside of watching stuff as if it was on a big screen (which isn't in HD I guess?) and playing some games what does it do to entice non tech heads to vr?

Hard to know when you are someone who loves tech :D I've only had it two days but it's mostly about as they call it "experiences". This thing does horror really well. Never had a movie or game make me feel so scared as some of the VR stuff. Watching 3D movies on a big screen wouldn't be possible for me otherwise either. And the screen is pretty good imo but I'm not someone who has probably watched high fidelity tv on an expensive LCD/LED so what do I know? My non-techy side wants more Catan or similar style boardgaming with friends. That is where I see potential for the machine. The hangouts playing a boardgame or wathcing a show or listening to an album and chatting with a friend you can't physically meet with up at the time. Basically allowing me to hangout with friends from around the world in a way skype or voice chat during an intensive gaming session doesn't offer. What do you think would bring non-tech types to it or do you see anything?

• Advertisement

Yeh, see I've been through the experiences phase before with Google Cardboard, Samsung Gear VR, the Go looks likes it's just an updated way of going through more experiences. I'm wondering at what point VR offers something substantial that will bring in the masses. Honestly, I'm not sure what that is, possibly some social type interactive sphere that becomes a widely accepted norm. I guess we'll see, I think it's here to stay this time and only a matter of time before the hardware reaches a point where the potential can be unlocked.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Giving serious thought to pulling the trigger on this.
    I think I'll mostly use it for viewing media (netflix etc.), and the experiences - rollercoaster and so on.
    Will the "big games", specifically ST:TNG be ported to this or is it like trying to run Crysis 2 on a 386 ?
    I dont want to buy something thats not going to be developer supported.

horgan_p wrote: »
    Giving serious thought to pulling the trigger on this.
    I think I'll mostly use it for viewing media (netflix etc.), and the experiences - rollercoaster and so on.
    Will the "big games", specifically ST:TNG be ported to this or is it like trying to run Crysis 2 on a 386 ?
    I dont want to buy something thats not going to be developer supported.

Can't say much about the big games. It is still running a mobile chipset so I'm guessing graphics as well as refitting for 3DOF might be issues. I've found the media side very enjoyable, especially having access to my plex server through the headset. That and the experiences as someone new to VR has been worth admission to me.

On another topic I'm still amazed how immersive VR can be. I am playing around with the Face Your Fears app and have a terrible fear of heights. I can't last 30 seconds in the Killer View episode because my phobia kicks in full blast even though I know I'm standing on the ground.

Can't say much about the big games. It is still running a mobile chipset so I'm guessing graphics as well as refitting for 3DOF might be issues. I've found the media side very enjoyable, especially having access to my plex server through the headset. That and the experiences as someone new to VR has been worth admission to me.

On another topic I'm still amazed how immersive VR can be. I am playing around with the Face Your Fears app and have a terrible fear of heights. I can't last 30 seconds in the Killer View episode because my phobia kicks in full blast even though I know I'm standing on the ground.

You should try Ultrawings on Go... might actually help cure you!

There's a bit in SuperHot you might not like then if you ever get the chance to play it :D

You should try Ultrawings on Go... might actually help cure you!

I'm weirdly ok with flying and whether it's that or the cartoony graphics I'm good. At least on the first few missions. My stomach though... :D
    There's a bit in SuperHot you might not like then if you ever get the chance to play it :D

I only ever played it on the laptop but yeah I can see that being a problem.

I actually sideloaded the GearVR apps BeFearless for fear of heights which I plan to try out and see if they help through exposure. Probably a better option than the ending I suspect FaceYourFears has based on the other episodes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm thinking of grabbing one of these as an intro to VR. If I like it I might pick up the santa cruz next year or the rumored microsoft one in a year or two.

The best price I can see online is from the oculus store. There doesn't even appear to be anywhere in Dublin selling them at the moment. Anyone have any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Grayson wrote: »
    I'm thinking of grabbing one of these as an intro to VR. If I like it I might pick up the santa cruz next year or the rumored microsoft one in a year or two.

The best price I can see online is from the oculus store. There doesn't even appear to be anywhere in Dublin selling them at the moment. Anyone have any recommendations?

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-go-hit-uk-european-retailers-month-pre-orders-now-available/
    Online sites seem to be giving a date for the 27th for retail but I've no idea how accurate that is.
    Never tried VR before and I'm interested intros for Netflix but it'd be nice if there was in in store demo somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

The Oculus Go is due for release tomorrow (26th) in the UK and is available to preorder from all (UK) branches of Amazon, Argos and Curry's. Does anyone know if this also applies to Ireland as I can't find ANY info from any of these websites on whether they'll have them in stock tomorrow?

I haven't seen any info. I ordered online from Oculus. However they couldn't seem to understand my address. It's a work address and I use it for loads of stuff. Took two days to sort it out and I still haven't gotton a tracking number. If it's in stores this week I'd recommend grabbing yours there.

• Advertisement

Will swing by Curry's on my way home and see if they've any info

Checked Amazon and Littlewoods .. still seems cheapest ordering direct from Oculus

Have to get around to ordering this bastid this week :)

Hopefully either Curry's or Argos will be doing it at the recommended 220 euro (for the 32gb version).

Checked Amazon and Littlewoods .. still seems cheapest ordering direct from Oculus

Have to get around to ordering this bastid this week :)

If you order from them, check your order status about 10 minutes after ordering and open a support ticket if it gets stuck like mine did. My address was a regular city centre location but I had to send them a link to the building on google maps to show that it's real. Once they saw it's a real place they removed the hold they had. They didn't even modify the address. I think their system has trouble with the Irish address system and it placed a hold automatically.

Also, it's been shipped today and the tracking is up and running. It's coming from eindhoven and will arrive thursday afternoon. Just so people know how long to wait.

Stopped by Curry's on my way home and was met with a blank stare. Their 'VR' expert had never heard of the Go and after checking the product code confirmed that they had no idea when or if they'd be getting them in. Looks like this won't be getting a release in Ireland for the foreseeable future...

NickTellis wrote: »
    Stopped by Curry's on my way home and was met with a blank stare. Their 'VR' expert had never heard of the Go and after checking the product code confirmed that they had no idea when or if they'd be getting them in. Looks like this won't be getting a release in Ireland for the foreseeable future...

lol.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's available in Argos anyway. €260 for the 32GB and €320 for the 64GB.

Kiith wrote: »
    It's available in Argos anyway. €260 for the 32GB and €320 for the 64GB.

Hmm €269 for 64GB on Oculus incl shipping.

I wonder what benefit is going to a B&M ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭opentarget

I just picked one up from Argos. Patience was never my strongest trait, so if I was buying online I'd not have bothered.
    This is my first step into VR other than a quick go on PS vr.
    Although I do have a decent PC (i5,16gigs ram and gtx1060) it dose seem to be on the cusp of not being suitable for good performance so I didn't want to plonk down 500+ for a rift or vive.

So if I get the bug from the go I'll look ahead to planning some upgrades and get a gen 2 headset for PC.

I have to say, it's a pricey impulse purchase so late in the month 😑

Advertisement