Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,159 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Been waiting all year for the offense to get going and it isn't going to happen.

Need to win the next two or Lovie is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Yep 66 passing yards there 5 mins to go in the 4th quarter.

The offensive stats for the last 5/6 years tell theri own story.

Something needs to change for next season

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

The Bears are who we thought they were.

Wow, 107 yards passing and 0/9 on 3rd D's.

Cutler holding his neck everytime something goes wrong is hard to watch.

The cardinals up next, they broke their 9 game losing streak last night, but still if we can't beat them I can see Lovie getting his marching orders. May be no bad thing in the long run - looking at the team offensively for the last few seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Feels like a playoff loss and the season is over. The team can still make the playoffs, but I think it would be one-and-done if they did.

Some dodgy calls at the end of the game, and could've stolen it, but wouldn't have deserved to. The Packers should've been out of sight if they could kick field goals and didn't do crazy lateral passes on punt returns.

Offense failed on every level....O-line...need to draft there.

Gameplan/playcalling....I don't know about Lovie Smith, but I don't think they can continue with Mike Tice now. The offense has ranged from average to awful over the season, and yesterday it was back to awful. Defensive pass-interference to get 1st-and-goal from the 5. Ran Forte 3 times into a brick wall, and then got a penalty on fourth-down.

Same with the turnover on the punt. Got a gift on Packers' 15, couldn't make any gain out of it. It may be harsh on Tice one year into the job, and I think I'd have more patience if it was a younger team, but this team is built to win now, and you need someone who's ready to lead them now.

Yep, think i'd prefer if we didn't make the playoffs if it meant real change. No point limping into the playoffs and gloss over the issues that need addressing.

Better draft pick might be more useful for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Vikings v Texans will be very tough for our playoff rivals and we should and im praying we do beat Arizona. Not very confident tho tommorow night could be a very long one.

Feeling a bit flat going into this game, wonder if the players will be the same?

I said they'd definitely beat the Cardinals a couple of weeks ago, but after last week's performance, I'm not so confident. No road game is easy, and while the Cardinals' offense has been a bit of a laughing stock, their defense is actually pretty good (8th overall in yards-per-play allowed).

They defend well, a couple of bounces go their way, and it could be a tough day.

Hopefully they can get Jeffery some catches after his tough outing the last day. Hoping to see some sacks against one of the weakest offensive-lines in the league (that's theirs I'm talking about, not ours :)).

I think the Texans are a bit overrated as a Super Bowl contender and I give the Vikings a chance to beat them, although they'll obviously still be underdogs. I wonder if Peterson going for the rushing-record will become a bit of a distraction, and they end up trying to run it more than they should. Although the way their passing-game has been performing, it's probably hard to run it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

So how are we all feeling about having to get out our cheesehead hats and green and yellow scarves for next week? I dunno about you, but I'm ok with it. It'll be nice to support an offense that you can have some faith in delivering I suppose.

That said the Vikings have made a serious statement of intent yesterday, and they are not the titans, so all the talk of how well the packers did yesterday means nothing much to me. But you would still have to think the chance of a bye will be enough motivation for green bay to do us a favour.

Of course the bears might save us the bother of supporting the packers at all, but megaton aside I think we should be able to hold the lions.

• Advertisement

Think the packers should win anyway, their offence will spend a serious amount of time on the field to ensure that.

Great to get the win yesterday, still seems we are relying on turnovers though and not putting up enough yards offensively.

Roll on next weekend

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Think the packers should win anyway, their offence will spend a serious amount of time on the field to ensure that.

Great to get the win yesterday, still seems we are relying on turnovers though and not putting up enough yards offensively.

Roll on next weekend

Yeah we do not have a serious enough offense to be serious playoff challengers, but stafford is prone to turnovers when the pressure is on, so I think we will still have a little bit of interest in January. Need a proper o line, and particularly left tackle, before we can start thinking further than that.

Yeah we do not have a serious enough offense to be serious playoff challengers, but stafford is prone to turnovers when the pressure is on, so I think we will still have a little bit of interest in January. Need a proper o line, and particularly left tackle, before we can start thinking further than that.

Yep new O line (or nearly new anayway) and a linebacker or two needed from the draft/FA to see us going anywhere serious next year.

Hopefully we can make the play offs anyway - the longer the season goes on the better for us fans

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Yep new O line (or nearly new anayway) and a linebacker or two needed from the draft/FA to see us going anywhere serious next year.

Hopefully we can make the play offs anyway - the longer the season goes on the better for us fans

Wonder how many more years Urlacher can keep going too. He may not like the fans, but the fans need him...(incidentally I wouldn't like the fans if I were him either. I was at the Packers game and the fans were booing, loudly, when we were just one touchdown behind. I mean...what way is that to support a team? Don't Chicagoans see how damaging that is to a team's morale?)

The team is going to be one and done in the playoffs with this offense IMO. I was hoping that Tice might have been demoted back to being just the OL coach that Bates would call plays for the last two games. The offense can only improve!

I'm listening to the podcast of Cutty's radio show and this is what he bought his co-hosts for Christmas - http://www.amazon.com/Football-Dummies-USA-Howie-Long/dp/1118012615 :pac:

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    The team is going to be one and done in the playoffs with this offense IMO. I was hoping that Tice might have been demoted back to being just the OL coach that Bates would call plays for the last two games. The offense can only improve!

I'm listening to the podcast of Cutty's radio show and this is what he bought his co-hosts for Christmas - http://www.amazon.com/Football-Dummies-USA-Howie-Long/dp/1118012615 :pac:

I'm relatively new to American Football, but how normal is it for a QB to have a weekly radio show? It seems like a bit of a distraction, to have to go on air every week to forensically examine your own performances in the public eye, air your grievances, and subject yourself to the opinions of people who are on the outside looking in. I don't see what god can come of it, at least from an on-field perspective.

I should note, though, I haven't listened to it, so maybe I'm wrong about what kind of show it is.

I'm relatively new to American Football, but how normal is it for a QB to have a weekly radio show? It seems like a bit of a distraction, to have to go on air every week to forensically examine your own performances in the public eye, air your grievances, and subject yourself to the opinions of people who are on the outside looking in. I don't see what god can come of it, at least from an on-field perspective.

I should note, though, I haven't listened to it, so maybe I'm wrong about what kind of show it is.

It's not very serious, they have fun and discuss a bit of football, take some calls from fans etc.. Good insight into himself and the team.
    Definitely a good decision to do it and hopefully he does it next season again.

Briggs has a TV show on Thursdays. Aaron Rodgers has a radio show too on ESPN Milwaukee, not sure if any other players do.

Podcast is here BTW - http://espn.go.com/espnradio/chicago/play?id=8777982

Yeah just listening to it now, he comes across as a likeable guy. I've never really gotten why everyone hates him anyway, but this show really undermines it. I don't mind people not thinking he's a great qb, but people's criticisms of him tend to be personal.

Aside from anything else, the Bears are not getting a better qb anytime soon.

Having just watched the full game of the seahawks v the 49ers, some thoughts crossed my mind about the bears at present.

Basically they are a fantastically competitive team if nothing else (looking at it optimistically).

They put it up massively to the Seahawks taking trhe game to OT. The seahawks are a massively improved team as we all know.

Then you look at the packers who look really hot right now and continue to shorten for the SB, with a blowout in the game after playing us. We never really looked like winning and were beaten for large parts of the game but again remained very competitive. We were particularly very good in the first quarter when we were really up for it.

But if you look at it more pessimistically. In the last match against the Cardinals Cutler had 12 completions from 26 attempts for 146 yards and 1 TD against a team playing with a reserve QB that are now 1-10 in their last eleven games. We won well, again the defence stepped up with interceptions but the win really only papers over cracks.

We had very few yards against GB too. Our offense really is a mess. We continue to be particularly poor on 3rd down.

I know the D is getting older but i'll say it again i'd like to see all draft/FA picks used on the offense and then we can think about the D the following year.

We need to stop cutler constantly getting sacked and just generally give him more time to find targets. A tight end or two to aim at too would be useful.

Anyway i'm loving our competitive/ferocious nature but it's often painful watching our offense. Too its 3 and out unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Yeah just listening to it now, he comes across as a likeable guy. I've never really gotten why everyone hates him anyway, but this show really undermines it. I don't mind people not thinking he's a great qb, but people's criticisms of him tend to be personal.

Aside from anything else, the Bears are not getting a better qb anytime soon.

It's a better format for his personality. Not everyone is a soundbites or larger than life, media loving type of person.

• Advertisement

Not sure I can bring myself to actively cheering for the Packers on Sunday, but will definitely be hoping they win. The Seahawks beating the 49ers was a bad result for the Bears, since it means the 49ers are the most likely wildcard opponent.

I'd have fancied our chances a bit more against the Packers, but in a single-game elimination, anything could happen.

Need to beat the Lions first and they're a dangerous opponent. Hopefully Tillman can repeat his Optimus Prime performance against Megatron from earlier in the year. The offense will need to do better, beat the Lions scoring 13 points in Soldier Field, that won't be good enough this time around.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Not sure I can bring myself to actively cheering for the Packers on Sunday, but will definitely be hoping they win. The Seahawks beating the 49ers was a bad result for the Bears, since it means the 49ers are the most likely wildcard opponent.

I'd have fancied our chances a bit more against the Packers, but in a single-game elimination, anything could happen.

Need to beat the Lions first and they're a dangerous opponent. Hopefully Tillman can repeat his Optimus Prime performance against Megatron from earlier in the year. The offense will need to do better, beat the Lions scoring 13 points in Soldier Field, that won't be good enough this time around.

I kind of know what you mean about cheering for the packers. But imagine the scenario, it's the last play of the game, packers down by seven, get the touchdown, and go for two. It all hangs in the balance, and Rodgers puts it straight into cobb's hands. I dunno about you, but I will be dancing on a bar table if that happens, bears shirt and all.

Wouldn't fancy the 49ers, but being honest I wouldn't fancy any NFC playoff team, and realistically the momentum that the Vikings have at the moment indicates they would be a better playoff team than we would anyway. Making the playoffs is probably the height of the bears ambition, and if we had a tougher final game I'd say we could forget about even that. Not that the lions will be a pushover. For one thing, our guys are back to doing interviews where they antagonise the opposition by calling them dirty, accusing them of cheap shots etc. I'd have thought that handing motivation to a dead duck team was the stupidest avenue possible, which is probably why our stupid offensive linemen are doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

padraig_f wrote: »

What happens if the Vikings and the Bears both lose and the redskins and Giants both win. Who goes through then, is it the Giants on NFC record?

What happens if the Vikings and the Bears both lose and the redskins and Giants both win. Who goes through then, is it the Giants on NFC record?

Yeah, it would be Redskins as division winners and Giants as the last wildcard.

If that scenario happens, the Redskins can still lose the final game and go through (then they would be the wildcard, with the Cowboys as division winners).

But if the Cowboys lost the final game they'd be out.

Big day today, hopefully all goes well in Detroit and the Pack can take care of business against the Vikes.

A loss and I am hoping to see changes, starting with Lovie.

Lets hope we don't crash and burn like in 08 against the Texans.

My gut says we'll be in the playoffs by midnight, though it's close...60-40.

I'm more confident about the Bears beating the Lions than the later game. The flaws of the team are well documented, but there are enough good things about the season that I think they'll be determined not to go out before the playoffs.

Vikings-Packers I'm not so sure. The Vikings have it in their own hands, playing in front of what will probably be a raucous home crowd. The Packers have something to play for too, but they're in the playoffs already, so I'm not sure their need is as great.

So far so good :) Long night ahead tho

Bailed out by Carey there.

17-3 :)

Jesus....:mad:

• Advertisement

We should be out of sight by now, 26-17

Advertisement