Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Louche Lad wrote: »
    A doctor with COVID-19 worked a shift in UHL Minor Injuries. Worrying.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news/coronavirus-ireland-symptoms-news-update-21645411

Yesterday’s news today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Yesterday’s news today!

It was news for me today, and probably for many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

A doctor with COVID-19 worked a shift in UHL Minor Injuries. Worrying.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news/coronavirus-ireland-symptoms-news-update-21645411

I saw that today and thought if our doctors aren't up to recognising when they might be at risk then what chance have the rest of us .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

jonski wrote: »
    I saw that today and thought if our doctors aren't up to recognising when they might be at risk then what chance have the rest of us .

Absolute gombeenism at the highest order just like Leo saying what he said on the radio earlier.

So who's going to be responsible? nobody.

Will Leo loose credibility? Most definitely

Ah sure it'll be grand, like a guy throwing a few bags of lime into a salmon pool on the corrib..

Won't we kill everything?

But well bag a lot of salmon too won't we.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

jonski wrote: »

The doctor self identified himself as a risk and asked the HSE for instructions. He was told to report to work.

The real issue is years on FF and FG have reduced the health service to what it is. UHL is understaffed and under resourced. The problems are much more nuanced than beds, but beds is the simplest problem to identify. It’s conservatively about 200 beds short of what is needed.

At the best of times, UHL operates at 20% above capacity. Regular flu and covid-19 will stretch what is possible. Unfortunately this will result in other sick patients (non flu) being shifted out before they are ready.

Regarding the actual virus itself. If your under 70 and are average health or above you are fine, you might need a few days rest if it’s bad, but you will recover. The risk is of people passing it on to those with underlying health conditions. If you feel sick, stay at home, call your gp by phone for advice.

Perhaps a mod can add the link to the post 1

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

What ever you do don't go into the main corona virus thread over on the current affairs page , jesus it would drive ya underground the amount of panic and rubbish people are spouting in there

Councillor Conor Sheehan has said the St Patrick's Day events here in Limerick City should be cancelled. Good for him, I agree.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/523424/limerick-councillor-calls-for-cancellation-of-st-patrick-s-day-festivities-due-to-coronavirus.html

I think I've met Conor, seemed a sensible person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Comhrá

What ever you do don't go into the main corona virus thread over on the current affairs page , jesus it would drive ya underground the amount of panic and rubbish people are spouting in there

Gave a while reading it....... hard going - frenzied stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭patnor1011

How does one define overreaction when we all are different. This and the fact that it simply cant be stopped from spreading make some people more worried than others. I guess we will see what happens but it never hurts to be somehow prepared for all possible outcomes. Whole Lombardy was put under quarantine. It is only a matter of time till something similar happens here.
    Cancelling parade is quite understandable solution as one or few infectious people without even knowing it is all it takes for larger outbreak.
    Sky is not going to fall down if parade will be cancelled.

I for one have Cystic Fibrosis so I'm in one of the vulnerable groups so to speak, I had a 30 th last night , didn't go because one of the relations on the other side had been in italy , but in saying that I'm not gonna be a total hermit , my own idea is just to be clever about it i'm still doing food shopping and still going to work (for now) but I'm not going to be stupid either

I honestly think if everyone actually shut up and listened to the actual advice from who and HSE and keep themselves clean etc instead of taking an oppurtunity to attack the HSE and running and buying up hundreds of tins of beans and toilet roll , the rest of us will actually be fine , it's stupid people cause these things to take off

A bit of common sense will go along way here

• Advertisement

I agree. I am in the same shoes, so many underlying health problems I do not even want to start naming them all. I am also still going around my usual business like shopping, work and all, and while I see no reason to go and buy hundred tins of beans or loo rolls everyone should prepare themselves for some disruption as they are coming whether we like it or not.

However, common sense will be to postpone st patricks parade for example.
    It will be big financial hit to the parties involved but that will be better than act like soviets did after chernobyl. They too knew it is dangerous yet they put up money and pride before health of their people. Parade organizers and councils are doing exactly the same.
    People need to realize that this virus cant be stopped and will have to run its course. It will be much better if that happens slowly, to potentially expose tens of thousands of people to it at the same time is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 soos

Oh man. I'm volunteering for St. Patrick's Day parade on 15th and 17th.

Not any more your not haha

Cork, Dublin and Waterford parades cancelled so far. Sorry, but I'm hoping Limerick do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭moby2101

Cork, Dublin and Waterford parades cancelled so far. Sorry, but I'm hoping Limerick do the same.

Surely only a matter of time, probably be announced after the next meeting of LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

moby2101 wrote: »
    Surely only a matter of time, probably be announced after the next meeting of LC

It’s already announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

Defo cancelled good prevention especially as we have the 2 parades

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wherearewe45

Has anyone in Limerick been tested/knows of anyone that's been tested?

What's the procedure and how long does it take to get results back?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Has anyone in Limerick been tested/knows of anyone that's been tested?

What's the procedure and how long does it take to get results back?

An Irish COVID-19 patient explains his experience here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Yesterday’s news today!

So what dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Comhrá

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/524851/breaking-limerick-s-riverfest-latest-event-to-fall-victim-to-coronavirus.html

Limerick's premier festival Riverfest is the latest major event to be postponed due to the coronavirus.

The annual extravaganza that takes place over the May Bank Holiday weekend has been put on ice, following government advice on mass gatherings.

A full statement is expected from Limerick City and County Council which will confirm the news.

Last year's 15th annual staging of Riverfest saw more than 120,000 people in the city over the May Bank Holiday weekend, in a move which brought an estimated €7m into the local economy.

Another big event biting the dust due to #coronavirus is @RiverfestLmk. Confirmation due imminently. #COVID19 pic.twitter.com/fvRZNvxdam
    — Nick Rabbitts (@Nick468official) March 12, 2020

The cancellation follows in the footsteps of the Great Limerick Run, which has been moved out to October following the outbreak of the coronavirus.

Labour councillor Conor Sheehan said: "I think it’s a sensible course of action. The only thing we can do in this situation is try and slow the spread of this virus. However, it is very disappointing given that Riverfest brings so many visitors and so much money in to Limerick and the local economy and showcases the best our city has to offer. I hope the Council will reorganise Riverfest for another time later in the summer."

It's understood the local authority will also act to council this March's full council meeting of 40 members, which was set to take place at County Hall on Monday, March 23.

All secondary schools and colleges closed from tomorrow for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Dunnes and Tesco in the city are nuts, some queues are 10 trolleys deep!! One queue in Tesco had about 20 people at least in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Comhra wrote: »
    I would have assumed that events as far off as May would be safe enough...for now. Surprised that they are cancelling this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Mc Love wrote: »
    Dunnes and Tesco in the city are nuts, some queues are 10 trolleys deep!! One queue in Tesco had about 20 people at least in it
    Dopes. Do people really not have enough in their fridge/press to get by for a few days? If not, that is a sad state of affairs and an indictment of people's (in)ability to manage their affairs. The shops will be re-stocked in a few days so surely the sensible thing is to wait until the panic is over and resume with a regular shop

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I passed Aldi on the Dublin road. There were cars parked on the old Dublin road as well, Christmas eve wouldn't get a look in, that was around 1:30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Passed Lidl on Childers road, looked like there was a queue just to get into the shop.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I must pop into my local Tesco on my way home. I don't need anything, I just want to see the carnage for myself!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Berty wrote: »
    I passed Aldi on the Dublin road. There were cars parked on the old Dublin road as well, Christmas eve wouldn't get a look in, that was around 1:30pm.

Yup, traffic was very heavy when I passed a little before that. Cars on the old Dublin Rd, in the Travelodge car park, cars at a standstill inside the Aldi car park and just coming and coming in off the Dublin Rd. I don't understand it, shops aren't closing and aren't likely to. One or two may if there are cases of infected staff but that's the worst that will happen. They haven't closed in Italy and they never did in Wuhan either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement