Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

International cricket thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Wake up India and stop playing ODI cricket as if its 1992, farcical.

Although well done Bangladesh another resounding victory against one of their big brothers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Wake up India and stop playing ODI cricket as if its 1992, farcical.

Although well done Bangladesh another resounding victory against one of their big brothers. :)

I wouldn't go to that extreme in my criticism:D... they did win the World cup 4 years ago and the Champions Trophy 2 years ago

But they do have a huge problem in both formats of the game.....Dhoni has reached his sell by date.....he defo needs to go and I hope he takes his useless chums Mohit, Jadega and Rayudu with him

Having watched the way Kohli captain and behave on the field I am not sure now that he has the right temperament for the captaincy

That Dhoni is the best choice as captain among the current crap of players that India have is saying someting......Looks like Indian cricket is screwed for another few years at least :mad::mad:

booth70 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go to that extreme in my criticism:D... they did win the World cup 4 years ago and the Champions Trophy 2 years ago

But they do have a huge problem in both formats of the game.....Dhoni has reached his sell by date.....he defo needs to go and I hope he takes his useless chums Mohit, Jadega and Rayudu with him

Having watched the way Kohli captain and behave on the field I am not sure now that he has the right temperament for the captaincy

That Dhoni is the best choice as captain among the current crap of players that India have is saying someting......Looks like Indian cricket is screwed for another few years at least :mad::mad:

Its tricky really as ultimately one series isn't something to panic about and they may bounce back against Lanka and South Africa and this will all be forgotten about which is fair enough.

However I thought their approach yesterday was dire, Raina and Dhoni going at a strike rate of 60:eek:

I appreciate they had to rebuild, but they needed to be a little more positive than that, heck they were blocking Nasir bloody Hossain out.:eek::eek:

Raina is an incredibly positive and aggressive player, but watching him bat as if he was playing for England in 1992 was very sad.

Dhoni probably needs a break, but I fear he could be finished as well.

However guys like Samson will never get a chance when he has such control over Indian cricket.

Jadeja? I won't comment, to be fair he was handy in 2013, maybe he get back to that, but ultimately if he is going to get bat top 7, he needs to offer more.

Rayudu is an incredibly boring selection, why not give some youngsters an opportunity? They may fail, but the world cup is years away, lets have a look at the likes of Iyer, Pandya, Samson and heck even Hoooooooooda.

I actually think the batting line up in test cricket is strong enough, wouldn't be to concerned with it.

I think with ODI cricket, they just need to be a little more positive and maybe try one or two players, they haven't turned useless overnight.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

So Australia and New Zealand are taking the plunge into a day/night Test match at the end of November. Have my doubts but it'll be interesting none the less. Pink balls and all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Hat trick on debut for SA's Rabada against Bangladesh!

• Advertisement

So Australia and New Zealand are taking the plunge into a day/night Test match at the end of November. Have my doubts but it'll be interesting none the less. Pink balls and all.

Its all well and good for the old dudes to say" test cricket must not be touched, its pure " etc, but it does need something to get the punters into some of the grounds and make it look more attractive. I hope it works. Test cricket needs some reinvigoration.

Bangladesh beat SA 2-1 and have qualified for the Champions Trophy at the expense of either Pakistan or West Indies. They've now recently won series against Zimbabwe twice, Pakistan, India and South Africa, as well as that win over England in the World Cup

And I for one welcome our new Bangladesh overlords. :D

Spot on.:)

England's Barmy Army ‏@TheBarmyArmy 8h8 hours ago
    Hey @ICC, you're the ones who don't think it's worth having minnows at world cups, are you watching South Africa vs Japan? #changecricket

People in the rugby thread suggesting their world cup should be ten sides.:mad::mad:

I don't even think the rugby world cup pool set up is that revolutionary, its just so much more sensible than cricket.

Good article that.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/922767.html

And yeah, have said it before and will say it again, I'd gladly have Sepp, Platini and his all chums running cricket than Giles Clarke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Skylined.94

Really looking forward to this one also, two offensively minded teams in front a packed house at Adelaide Oval. Aussies could be a little vulnerable too!!

Aye we have some cracking test series coming up, SA in India, Eng v Pak and of course the standout NZ touring Australia.

Anyway West Indies is a basketcase, Phil Simmons asked to step down.:mad:

http://rjrnewsonline.com/sports/exclusive-simmons-asked-to-stand-down-as-windies-coach

Aye we have some cracking test series coming up, SA in India, Eng v Pak and of course the standout NZ touring Australia.

http://rjrnewsonline.com/sports/exclusive-simmons-asked-to-stand-down-as-windies-coach
    I read his 'outburst' this morning, their whole setup has been a mess for years now, it's sad to see Simmons drawn into it

And re the RWC, it alway really annoys me when I see Irish people call for the exclusion of the smaller teams

Outrageous what is happening to Phil Simmons, he made some big decisions during the winter in order to build for the future and just seems like he's fighting a losing battle. If he goes then WI cricket is in a bigger mess than we thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

Its obvious to me at least that when talking about the WI its when they'll split up and not if

Joyce gone, Ireland 140/4 after 36 overs, hard to know what a par score is going to be here but I'd say we are scoring too slowly at the moment

219/8

Dunno what to make of this, Zim is never easy to bat on but it tends to flatten in the 2nd innings.

Spinners gonna be pivotal, need 2 wickets in the first 10 overs to stand a chance IMO.

Just like in the t20 qualifiers though, we get ourselves into a nice little position just needing one player to hit a 15 ball 25 or something and we collapse instead. Happening all too often

Getting close now, 35 needed off 7 overs, 3 wickets left

Whoops I meant to put my first post in the Ireland thread, not the international thread :o

11 runs, 2 wickets left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Close, but not close enough :)

• Advertisement

Following Ireland's loss yesterday they have lost 10th place to Zimbabwe in the ODI table and no matter what happens in the final game on Tuesday they will be desperate to keep the gap to just two points. Defeat and we'll l drop below Afghanistan into 12th!

Pakistan scraped a measly 523 for 8 before declaring against England.

Edit: England finish the day 56 without loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,774 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Off for a couple of days and was looking forward to the Pakistan vs England Test. Man it's bore fest , slow wicket, nothing for the spinners either..slower outfield.. No value for shots so it's all ones and twos almost off every second ball.. Turgid stuff.

Strumms wrote: »
    Off for a couple of days and was looking forward to the Pakistan vs England Test. Man it's bore fest , slow wicket, nothing for the spinners either..slower outfield.. No value for shots so it's all ones and twos almost off every second ball.. Turgid stuff.

Turgid is kind! Cook has ground out a nice century. Horrible game though. Waste of time.

Really dont know why the ICC dont heavily fine curators for producing flat decks. Gotten ridiculous these days

Have a sneaky suspicion this game might just end in a draw. Bold statement I know, but just have a feeling.

Have a sneaky suspicion this game might just end in a draw. Bold statement I know, but just have a feeling.
    Any newbie tuning in to this match might think each team only bats once

Laughably the sports muppet on bbc breakfast this morning was talking up a possible England victory. I sat there, waiting to see the scorecard showing 6 or 7 down. At that point they had taken 2 wickets. 2 whole wickets. Currently they have 3. Need to put their foot down for a result now I think.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

And now they have all ten - and perhaps an hour to chase 99.

Maybe he wasn't a muppet?

• Advertisement

nompere wrote: »
    And now they have all ten - and perhaps an hour to chase 99.

Maybe he wasn't a muppet?

Only one muppet and not the sports man on TV! Humble pie gladly eaten if England win, utter madness. Think the light will do them though.

Advertisement