Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UK holiday ideas

• 29-05-2019 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Bought a few of the Stena line st patricks day special fares for Holyhead at the end of June.

Problem is we cant decide where to go! Was thinking maybe the Cotswalds but worried we might be bored staying there for 4 nights? We stayed in Conwy last year so that's not an option, although we really enjoyed it.

Its myself and my mum (in her 60's and wouldn't be very fit or much of a walker but would be able for leisurely strolls and an ebike) and we will also be bringing our dog and are planning on hiring a car. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

We are trying to keep it relatively cheap and cheerful and dont mind driving 3/4 hrs to our destination from Holyhead but wouldn't be up for much more than that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Bought a few of the Stena line st patricks day special fares for Holyhead at the end of June.

Problem is we cant decide where to go! Was thinking maybe the Cotswalds but worried we might be bored staying there for 4 nights? We stayed in Conwy last year so that's not an option, although we really enjoyed it.

Its myself and my mum (in her 60's) and we will also be bringing our dog and are planning on hiring a car. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

We are trying to keep it relatively cheap and cheerful and dont mind driving 3/4 hrs to our destination from Holyhead but wouldn't be up for much more than that.

The Lake District is beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Allinall wrote: »
    The Lake District is beautiful.

Possibly a silly q (I only had a quick scan of trip adviser to see what there was there) but is there much more to do there than hiking/walks?
    My mum, while able for leisurely strolls wouldn't exactly be the fittest or up for trecking through the hills

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We had a glorious holiday in Cornwall a few yeas ago . We stayed in Marazion near Penzance and there are so many beautiful gardens to see and beaches to sit on .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

Possibly a silly q (I only had a quick scan of trip adviser to see what there was there) but is there much more to do there than hiking/walks?
    My mum, while able for leisurely strolls wouldn't exactly be the fittest or up for trecking through the hills

Have a look through here.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attractions-g186318-Activities-Lake_District_Cumbria_England.html

Boat trips, wildlife park, nice restaurants etc.

I spent 5 days there a few years ago and would go back in a jiffy given the chance.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    We had a glorious holiday in Cornwall a few yeas ago . We stayed in Marazion near Penzance and there are so many beautiful gardens to see and beaches to sit on .

That area is somewhere I would love to visit but on this occasion at 7 hours from holyhead I think its just a bit too far of a drive for us

• Advertisement

A few options for you:
    • Somewhere else in North Wales. Less driving. Lots of days out: castles, up Snowdon on the train, walks along the shore. Towns aren't that great though. Could base yourself in Caernarfon or even somewhere like Beaumaris on Anglesey. You'd probably find yourself getting in the car every day but not that big a deal.
    • Llangollen. Nice little town and scenic. There's a railway there as well I think. Good scenery and easy walking. Good days out from there as well.
    • Shropshire. About 3 hours away. Mostly unknown in this country but very beautiful countryside, villages, towns (Ludlow for example). The area in the south of the county is fabulous if you get good weather
    • Chester. Easy drive, good destination for a non-stressful city break. Plenty to see and do and if you have car you can do days out. Good shopping and restaurants. Very easy to go to Liverpool for the day out on the train also.
    • Peak district. Great landscape. Wild and remote. Not many towns though.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

That area is somewhere I would love to visit but on this occasion at 7 hours from holyhead I think its just a bit too far of a drive for us

It is long but could you overnight on the way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

There’s loads of stuff to do in the Lake District. There’s walks to suit every level, from flat lakeside strolls to the highest peaks in England. There’s historical homes, art galleries, museums, cinemas, theatres, shops, restaurants, bars, water sports, boat trips, steam trains, Aquariums... I could go on and on! We go for 10 days every year for the past 10 years and we still haven’t seen all there is to see! We go with my elderly parents so we don’t do very strenuous walks.

I would recommend staying somewhere like Keswick, it’s deep in the heart of the mountains so has stunning views, much nicer than the tourist hot spots further south down the park like Windermere.

If driving up from Holyhead, you could spend a couple of nights somewhere like York or Chester, I haven’t been to the latter but have heard good things about it. I have been to York a couple of times and is a beautiful ancient city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Oxford, Cambridge, Bath, all stunning cities, easily walkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I recently did a 4 day trip to the Yorkshire Dales and Yorkshire Moors and really enjoyed it. Plenty to see and do, lots of quirky little villages to stop off for a coffee on a day out etc. Lots of walks obviously but loads of them are short and easy. York is a great city to visit for a day.

Sutton Bank view point, Rievaux Terrace and Rievaux Abbey, Castle Bolton and the Ribblehead Viaduct are a few of the places that we went to see, all very interesting with limited walking needed.

We stayed in the Aysgarth Falls Hotel and thought it was great. The falls is a couple of minutes away (steep hill though!) and Hawes village is only a 10 minute drive - the Wensleydale creamery shop is touristy but fun! We heard the creamery tour wasn't worth it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Bath and the Cotswolds. Might be easier to fly to Bristol and hire a car.

Thanks for everyone's helpful suggestions we ended up going with the lake district near Keswick and found it great. There was a lot more to do when we arrived than was advertised online and it was super dog friendly so it was ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement