Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boundary Extension for City?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Of course, if we were united under one body, they'd be one hell of a battle to see where the "capital" would be!!!

What are you on about now? When has Waterford NOT been the "capital" of the Southeast??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

What are you on about now? When has Waterford NOT been the "capital" of the Southeast??:rolleyes:

feck off, we re capital of the universe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

BBM77 wrote: »
    That is all that has ever been suggested. Waterford has never being trying to turn Kilkenny people in Waterford people. That is just something that has been spouted by the no no no-ers.

The majority living there nowadays are from Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

BBM77 wrote: »
    That is all that has ever been suggested. Waterford has never being trying to turn Kilkenny people in Waterford people. That is just something that has been spouted by the no no no-ers.

Bring on a United Ireland!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Yesterday's results have all but ended the Boundary Extension review.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

The review will still happen. It was never going to be implemented really.

Was never a runner anyway. Unless FG/FF coalesce.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

7upfree wrote: »
    Was never a runner anyway. Unless FG/FF coalesce.
    While I hope you're right, I wouldn't count on it being totally off the agenda. An FF/FG government looks to be the most likely outcome of the election. While a government with a small majority would never dare change boundaries, an FG/FF coalition would have a big enough majority to push it through if it wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

While I hope you're right, I wouldn't count on it being totally off the agenda. An FF/FG government looks to be the most likely outcome of the election. While a government with a small majority would never dare change boundaries, an FG/FF coalition would have a big enough majority to push it through if it wanted to.
    Wouldn't think all us lost yet, the examination process has started, it's not just ferry bank they are looking at and it makes sense probably in each of the 3 cases so if they can report without political interference and more GAA jersey rubbish, then it is not dead.latest is that there will be no fg ff marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

O Riain wrote: »
    The review will still happen. It was never going to be implemented really.

It died with Paudie Coffey's seat, thankfully.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »

Every now and again the govt actually uses good common sense so fingers crossed this is a time it will happen and boundary will move out.

Why do you say "thankfully"?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Why do you say "thankfully"?

Presumably because he's from Kilkenny and objected to what they called a "land grab"

While I'm not counting my chickens about the extension being dead and buried yet, admittedly it's hard to see there being anyone in Waterford with the clout to push it through. Even if FF/FG are in power, Butler will be a novice and Deasy is hardly interested and is not influential in FG. And AK47 is unlikely to be in the next government either.

Presumably because he's from Kilkenny and objected to what they called a "land grab"

Sweet Jesus. Most of the people living over there now are from Waterford.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gobo99

The majority living there nowadays are from Waterford.

you're after saying this a few times now, have you any source?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

well if they live in Kilkenny, they are technically from Kilkenny now even if they born(grew up) in Waterford...

While I'm not counting my chickens about the extension being dead and buried yet, admittedly it's hard to see there being anyone in Waterford with the clout to push it through. Even if FF/FG are in power, Butler will be a novice and Deasy is hardly interested and is not influential in FG. And AK47 is unlikely to be in the next government either.

FF are so populist and have a huge base in South Kilkenny. SF also. The last thing they will want is to push this through and upset their grassroots. Do you think Bobby Alyward and his huge base right down there are going to stand by. I don't think so. JP Phelan the same.
    Paudie Coffey was the architect of this, so it's good as dead and buried now with his seat, and was a major issue in some other counties such as Roscommon too. I actually thought myself the Boundary Commission decision was binding- as if any party FF or FG or SF with a very slim mandate is going to bring this non sense on themselves and alienate their fragile voters further.
    It clearly wasn't enough of a vote getter in Waterford on the other side bar a few fanatics, else Coffey would have held on.

And this is relevant why...? Lots of people living in Naas for example are from Dublin...hardly a reason to change their address for vanity purposes.

And this is relevant why...? Lots of people living in Naas for example are from Dublin...hardly a reason to change their address for vanity purposes.

I suppose you are right and wrong on that one as the will of the people in the area is relevant.We have gone over the myriad of logical reasons why this change should happen, don't worry, your local hurling team will still be able to play in nowlan pk and support Kilkenny.

• Advertisement

gobo99 wrote: »
    you're after saying this a few times now, have you any source?

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work this one out...........:rolleyes:

Naas is twenty miles from Dublin. The proceed boundary is around three additional miles.

Max Powers wrote: »
    I suppose you are right and wrong on that one as the will of the people in the area is relevant.We have gone over the myriad of logical reasons why this change should happen, don't worry, your local hurling team will still be able to play in nowlan pk and support Kilkenny.

Hurling. Every time Max. The root cause. Incredibly, one of the election posters of a candidate over there featured a woman talking to a kid in a Kilkenny hurling jersey. In the 21st century. With all that's going on in Ireland.

Hurling. Every time Max. The root cause. Incredibly, one of the election posters of a candidate over there featured a woman talking to a kid in a Kilkenny hurling jersey. In the 21st century. With all that's going on in Ireland.
    there does seem to be a majority on the no side who don't really have an argument other than gaa colours,I don't want to bad mouth all our neighbours though and the kk chat page, there seems be a decent amount of people saying, that it makes sense.

Not true. Without rehashing my points, I argued against the change earlier on in this thread and I'm not even a big fan of hurling having been to two matches in my life. It's not fair to characterise the No argument as being all about hurling any more than it's fair to call the Yes side mere "Land Grabbers" out to enlarge the county.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work this one out...........:rolleyes:

Within the Ferrybank housing estates, I'd say you're right that it's mainly Waterford but beyond that, I'd say it'd be far more black and amber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Ardree site straddles the county border so if for example it was suggested a park were to be used to fill that area at some future point who would be tasked to look after it?

The Ardree site straddles the county border so if for example it was suggested a park were to be used to fill that area at some future point who would be tasked to look after it?
    Both would be responsible. I suspect that either county would be happy to hand their share of that site over to the other county if they could!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gobo99

Thats a no then..........:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Both would be responsible. I suspect that either county would be happy to hand their share of that site over to the other county if they could!

Well quite which shows that the border as it stands is a hindrance to development. I dunno what the current status of that plot is but someone needs to take it in hand.

Advertisement