Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

i suppose the attitude that the minister is not welcome in Waterford, unless he is bringing jobs, well if i was the minister i would tell you where to go.

Waterford has such a negative gbegrudging attitude - it really is unbelievable that a minister comes here to announce a sizeable investment and because he does not give an exact figure on jobs - he can take a jump?

unbelieveable attitude here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

Chiparus wrote: »
    i suppose the attitude that the minister is not welcome in Waterford, unless he is bringing jobs, well if i was the minister i would tell you where to go.

Waterford has such a negative gbegrudging attitude - it really is unbelievable that a minister comes here to announce a sizeable investment and because he does not give an exact figure on jobs - he can take a jump?

Hard to argue with any of that. Something I do find funny though is that the same people who praise Martin Cullen will knock and bash every other minister for not doing anything for Waterford. Cullen did nothing but gets praised for "putting Waterford on the map". Hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Motivator wrote: »
    Hard to argue with any of that. Something I do find funny though is that the same people who praise Martin Cullen will knock and bash every other minister for not doing anything for Waterford. Cullen did nothing but gets praised for "putting Waterford on the map". Hilarious.

I will never praise Cullen it was during his time as a minister that Waterford fell behind. If he had gotten us the University I would be singing his praises but he didnt. As for Richard Bruton not being welcome, we are so far behind in job creation in comparison to other cities it is ridiculous at this stage and the Government have a lot to play in that. If companies are not willing to invest here then give them incentives to do so, dont let us die a lonely death down here! As for the TK Maxx issue above, if TK Maxx had of left completely I may agree with you but the fact of the matter is they are where they belong, in the city centre. I agree the store is not as good as what it was out in the retail park but they were breaking the rules by being out there, they knew this and still went ahead with setting up a shop. City Council cant be blamed for them breaking the rules.

Edit: The rents problem is an issue all over Ireland not just Waterford

O Riain wrote: »

I will never praise Cullen it was during his time as a minister that Waterford fell behind. If he had gotten us the University I would be singing his praises but he didnt. As for Richard Bruton not being welcome, we are so far behind in job creation in comparison to other cities it is ridiculous at this stage and the Government have a lot to play in that. If companies are not willing to invest here then give them incentives to do so, dont let us die a lonely death down here! As for the TK Maxx issue above, if TK Maxx had of left completely I may agree with you but the fact of the matter is they are where they belong, in the city centre. I agree the store is not as good as what it was out in the retail park but they were breaking the rules by being out there, they knew this and still went ahead with setting up a shop. City Council cant be blamed for them breaking the rules.

Edit: The rents problem is an issue all over Ireland not just Waterford

I'm glad we can agree over Cullen, unbelievable the fact that he's still being praised by some backward people in this city. I won't go as far as to praise Bruton but I won't slate him either, Waterford is a black hole & has been since before he came into his role.

TKMaxx was not a city council objection, an objection was filed by a few people who were told that if their objection was lodged it would eventually kill B&Q, Harvey Norman and Halfords. The knock on effects are only being realised now and ask anyone in the town, TKMaxx is in the wrong place now. I know of people who refuse to give the shop any business because of the location it is now in. In their old unit there was any amount of parking, a few different shops for people to browse in and there was plans to put a small cafe in the complex but once the objection was made and the unit was pulled it was only a matter of time before things went pear shaped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Outer Ring Road
    M9
    City ByPass

Love him or hate him you are just downright stupid if you cannot see what he did bring to Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

For clarity on the Genzyme issue , they are renovating the Middle plant which apparently has about a ten year lifespan, so they are doing it up, there will be quite a few construction jobs and spin off business in the locality, not to be sniffed at, and i would imagine there will be jobs in two years time when the plant is up and running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Bards

Chiparus wrote: »

Is he giving Genzyme the €44 million out of his own pocket, what is his personal involvement in this project.

Would it have happened without him?

sounds like just another photo-op for a minister to get his Picture in the local papers without doing any actual real work but at the same time giving the impression to the sheeple that he is performing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Max Powers wrote: »
    2 new shops going into where ELC and Next used to be, jane norman and edinburgh woolen mills.

Odd move for Edinburgh Woolen Mills to move in there. But good to have the empty units being filled up again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Guys this is supposed to be a positive thread, can we please keep in that way and not drag it into the usual type of negativity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bards wrote: »
    Is he giving Genzyme the €44 million out of his own pocket, what is his personal involvement in this project.

sounds like just another photo-op for a minister to get his Picture in the local papers without doing any actual real work but at the same time giving the impression to the sheeple that he is performing

You post that is if it were new or unique. Its what all minsters do at every available opportunity.

Lets be happy a major employer are spending money on a plant building for a successful product, rather than closing it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Positives = some good looking Polish ladies around nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭dzilla

Philly Grimes has Dungarvan on cask

Cabaal wrote: »
    Guys this is supposed to be a positive thread, can we please keep in that way and not drag it into the usual type of negativity

Hello , this is Waterford.

Bards wrote: »

No but there would be sizable IDA grants, I possibly would have happened without him.

We need to have ministers on our side - not the usual begrudegery that puts people off waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

mozattack wrote: »

Its only our polish that are the good looking ones;) they dont look like theyve been tango'd:eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

off topic posts deleted

Guys, keep the thread on topic or start your own negative thread.
    Any further off topic negative posts will be deleted also

Finance Bill gives tax relief to Waterford City (and Limerick). from RTE
    The Local Property Tax is to be amended to exclude any increase in value due to modifications to a home to enhance access for a person with a disability.

The amendment is one of a number of modifications to the property tax contained in the Finance Bill, published today by the Minister for Finance Michael Noonan.

There are a number of new measures in the bill, which also seeks to give legislative force to the measures introduced in December's budget.

Included in the bill is a tax break to encourage owner occupiers to renovate Georgian homes.

The scheme, which will be launched on a pilot basis in Waterford and Limerick, allows home owners write off the cost of renovation against income tax. The scheme will not be open to developers or investors. There will also be restrictions for high earners.

Small crumbs admittedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Can we not rustle up a bit more positivty for waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Spent the day in City Square / City centre , and did'nt see much positivity around .

A stranger at the ATM remarked to me about the shame to see the hotel on the hill closed .

As I looked over at the Hotel , I saw a '' to let '' sign at the corner where Halifax used to be .

Seems to be a lot of pessimism out there at the moment .

Anyway , I gave Barratts €60 and my other half gave €20 to Penneys , so ' every little helps '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Was in the Lisduggan Shopping Centre today for the first time since Dealz went out there, couldn't believe how busy the place was! I'm not in there that often but would have been a regular in the place a few years ago and the place was buzzing like I haven't seen in years! Where else would 3 butchers co-exist in such close proximity I wonder! Great to see!

• Advertisement

Winterval was a great success , hopefully to be continued

A stranger at the ATM remarked to me about the shame to see the hotel on the hill closed .

As I looked over at the Hotel , I saw a '' to let '' sign at the corner where Halifax used to be .

Why does this read like a bad paperback novel about a private eye taking in the scene? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

I hear Home Store And More might be opening a shop in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 guitarist14

mozattack wrote: »

I'm young, unemployed and without a lot of hope in Waterford. We can bang on about politics and jobs all day, but this just made me laugh which I think is the positivity this town needs. We all need a good ****ing laugh really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭decies

Sun is shineing, birds are chirping, days are longer, temperature is rising.

Off-topic posts deleted.
    Any more off topic political debates and I'll be banning people!

Please can we have a positive thread,

It s lovely morning and that alone helps.

Off-topic posts deleted.

Gway boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

I am in my final year of college as a mature student, after four years doing an excellent honours degree in an excellent college…WIT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Off-topic posts deleted.

:)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Znb8dRascg:)

Advertisement