Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gyms in Waterford

• 01-07-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hello i am looking for a good leisure centre/gym to join in waterford, im not from the area so i dont know about the gyms. Im looking for a monthly membership 3 month membership maximum is all i can really afford. Im not sure if king fisher or spirit gym do monthly memberships and how much if anyone could let me know. I also heard of a new gym in waterford with no swimming pool but it has a sauna in the womans and mens changing rooms does anyone know the name of this gym? Which gym is most recommended? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Waterford Crystal sports centre would probably suit you best. They do a pay as you go. they used to do a 15 for 50 deal. 15 gym or swims for 50 euro.

http://www.wcslc.ie/

they still do the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭LimerickSports

that is a good price thanks, ive been to waterford crystal before i dont mind it aslong as its cheap, but the place slightly depresses me i dont enjoy working out there, i would spend a bit extra for a nicer place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

h

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Goldstone is the name of the place your on about with the sauna and no pool. Id say there's about 10 threads on gyms in the waterford forum in the last year if you want to have a browse through them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Hello i am looking for a good leisure centre/gym to join in waterford, im not from the area so i dont know about the gyms. Im looking for a monthly membership 3 month membership maximum is all i can really afford. Im not sure if king fisher or spirit gym do monthly memberships and how much if anyone could let me know. I also heard of a new gym in waterford with no swimming pool but it has a sauna in the womans and mens changing rooms does anyone know the name of this gym? Which gym is most recommended? Thanks
    yes its goldstone your on about check facebook like there page www.facebook.com/goldstonefitness , i,m a member of goldstone and currently there running an offer €250 for 14 months membership, all your classes are free i.e. spinning,boot camp. currently the gym is being expanded to cater for the influx of members more weights area and spinning classroom is expanded

• Advertisement

ya i checked out there page thanks for the replys.. looks like a brilliant gym it just seems very far from the city centre.. still an option tho. does anyone have any experience with the spirit gym.. its location is the most ideal.

ya i checked out there page thanks for the replys.. looks like a brilliant gym it just seems very far from the city centre.. still an option tho. does anyone have any experience with the spirit gym.. its location is the most ideal.
    yeah but well worth the trip if ya ask me!! top notch equipment and staff are excellent and very friendly out there and more than willing to help ya with anything

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭TheFishingKid

yeh im in spirit, its a nice gym, i think the gym and swimming and that for a year is 550 for 12 months and around 300 to 350 for 6 months but you can get deals on just the gym or just the pools hope this helps. they have a price list inside the door if you pop by.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

mouthinlad wrote: »
    spirit is good... I paid the membership online, was screwed though, could never fit through the door... Still have 4 months left on membership

how'd u manage that? iv worked there for 4 years and nobody ever paid online for membership.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Anyone know how much membership of Spirit is at the moment? I know another poster said €550 for 12 month membership but that seems a bit steep. Does it include gym, swim and classes?

Have tried ringing them, no answer.

By the way, for anyone interested, Goldstone appear to have an option to buy membership online now, €250 for 12 months seems like a good deal, only downside though is they've no pool (as far as I know).

• Advertisement

Anyone know how much membership of Spirit is at the moment? I know another poster said €550 for 12 month membership but that seems a bit steep. Does it include gym, swim and classes?

Have tried ringing them, no answer.

By the way, for anyone interested, Goldstone appear to have an option to buy membership online now, €250 for 12 months seems like a good deal, only downside though is they've no pool (as far as I know).
    honestly now how often would you use the pool with your membership?? and no goldstone don't have a pool!!! i was a member of splashworld and never got the opportunity to use the pool as there was always classes on in the pool when i was there, that was one factor in me joining goldstone

Well my physio has told me I won't be able to run at the rate I was for a long time yet and has recommended swimming to help my injury so that's why I'm after a pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭TheFishingKid

Yeh, not to sure about classes but its like 550 for the year for the gym and pool but if your only looking for the pool think its around 250/300 for the year roughly

Jeez €550 is fairly expensive. Once I'm off crutches I might head into them and see what the best deal they can do is. For me €550 would want to include gym, swim and all classes. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭LickiRake

Jimmy Payne's gym is 120 for the year at the moment. I'm not too sure what facility's or equipment they have tough, very hard to find info!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

LickiRake wrote: »
    Jimmy Payne's gym is 120 for the year at the moment. I'm not too sure what facility's or equipment they have tough, very hard to find info!

Jimmy's gym has two rooms. The larger room has all the cardiovascular equipment like treadmills, rowers, cross-trainers and bikes, plus workout machines. The second room, also quite large, has a large free area with boxing equipment such as a dozen punchbags, medicine balls, free weights, non-computerised bikes, skipping ropes etc. This room is my main reason for joining there. No other gym has anything like that.

Situated up in Cleaboy Business Park, opposite Genzyme. There's no pool obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

why don't you buy the 20 visit card in the waterford crystal pool. Your not tied into a year long contract and can top it up when needs be

Think Waterford Crystal do 15 swims for €50 but I don't think they have a gym. I want both. Thanks all for the responses by the way.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Think Waterford Crystal do 15 swims for €50 but I don't think they have a gym. I want both. Thanks all for the responses by the way.

I'm almost certain they do have a gym. Or at least they used to

Thanks ziedth, didn't think they had one. Will give them a shout too

• Advertisement

gscully wrote: »
    Jimmy's gym has two rooms. The larger room has all the cardiovascular equipment like treadmills, rowers, cross-trainers and bikes, plus workout machines. The second room, also quite large, has a large free area with boxing equipment such as a dozen punchbags, medicine balls, free weights, non-computerised bikes, skipping ropes etc. This room is my main reason for joining there. No other gym has anything like that.

Situated up in Cleaboy Business Park, opposite Genzyme. There's no pool obviously.

is this close to the city centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

^^^^
    weight area is too small, thats the biggest bugbear with the place,ya couldnt really have more than 5 people working out in the weights area ,youd get in each others way. also the membership price is way higher than other gyms such as goldstone etc.i know its because of the pool, but ya can get gym membership with out the pool,its still dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

Also, whilst I'm a member of Spirit, the lack of lockers drives me mental!

And that the parking is up in Aldi. If they struck a deal with the carpark on the quay, they'd get a TON more female members who don't join because thry don't feel safe walking up to Aldi's carpark at night.

And that there's no sauna attached to the locker rooms, but I think years of having that luxury at Jurys gym have spoilt me :)

GrandBlaa wrote: »
    Also, whilst I'm a member of Spirit, the lack of lockers drives me mental!

And that the parking is up in Aldi. If they struck a deal with the carpark on the quay, they'd get a TON more female members who don't join because thry don't feel safe walking up to Aldi's carpark at night.

And that there's no sauna attached to the locker rooms, but I think years of having that luxury at Jurys gym have spoilt me :)

i couldnt agree more. unfortunately the size of the changing rooms dont allow for a bank of 20-30 large lockers, just the safety deposit boxes for valuables.
    i always leave my gear in my bag on the top shelf. absolutely drives me bonkers when all the seating is covered in clothes and towels etc with nowhere to sit!:mad:

the car park idea is good but from a safety point of view a pedestrian crossing would be nice to the front of the spa. and for what its worth, iv worked in spirit the last 4 years and despite the mad fella with the gun on top of the apartments iv never seen heard any trouble. unfortunately the sound of a few foreign accents is enough for some to presume the area in unsafe. :rolleyes:

edit: also the carpark really only benefits day time users, past 6pm most members park on o'connel st.

watermark wrote: »
    unfortunately the sound of a few foreign accents is enough for some to presume the area in unsafe. :rolleyes:

Oh I totally agree, but a few friends have had some dodgy incidents with guys jerking off / drunk-&-disorders along that street. They've pointed this out to Spirit management plenty, but no change in parking.

I'll be sticking with Spirit, though :) I'm mostly an early morning visitor anyway, so I take my chances on the street like the post 6pm-ers.

GrandBlaa wrote: »
    Oh I totally agree, but a few friends have had some dodgy incidents with guys jerking off / drunk-&-disorders along that street. They've pointed this out to Spirit management plenty, but no change in parking.

I'll be sticking with Spirit, though :) I'm mostly an early morning visitor anyway, so I take my chances on the street like the post 6pm-ers.

unfortunately the sound of a few foreign accents, lads jerking off and drunk people is enough for some to presume the area in unsafe :p

watermark wrote: »
    unfortunately the sound of a few foreign accents, lads jerking off and drunk people is enough for some to presume the area in unsafe :p

I have no problem with two of those three things :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭LickiRake

gscully wrote: »

Sorry only seen your reply now! Thanks for the info! At 120 it sounded to good to be true but from everyone iv talked to it sounds like the job! Does the gym be busy do you know? And are members allowed to use the boxing equipment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Where is Jimmy's gym? Is it a boxing gym?

Advertisement