Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kindles in Tesco

• 28-10-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Don't know if this is a Bargain Alert as such but i know a lot of people had trouble getting Kindles earlier in the year, in fact i don't think ANY Irish retailers had them in stock.

Was in Tesco's Clairehall earlier and they had loads in for 115Euro, with the Keyboard 3G version at 185 (i think)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,727 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

PC World were advertising them for 109 last week, not sure if that was a special offer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Pc-world/currys have had them for ages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Loads in Tesco Midleton - and I think they were €110.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

The new model is €99 in the airport btw. Thats even cheaper than amazon!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Don't say this!!! I got one from US and was stung by customs. Sickened :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

TomCo wrote: »

If ya want this, then this 'should' work, buy the cheapest ryanair flight to anywhere, go to the airport, go through security (online checkin), buy kindle, walk down to the Ryanair Pier, and just join up with the passengers walking off a flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

kaji wrote: »

If you ordered through Amazon you shouldn't have been. They prepay the custom charges. Drop them an email they'll refund you.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭beaniebarbeque

scudzilla wrote: »
    If ya want this, then this 'should' work, buy the cheapest ryanair flight to anywhere, go to the airport, go through security (online checkin), buy kindle, walk down to the Ryanair Pier, and just join up with the passengers walking off a flight.
    Slight problem with this plan is the major security alert you trigger when you check in for a flight and then fail to board. Hardly worth it to save seven quid - especially when you factor in the flight cost and transport to the airport....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Slight problem with this plan is the major security alert you trigger when you check in for a flight and then fail to board. Hardly worth it to save seven quid - especially when you factor in the flight cost and transport to the airport....

Ah, didn't realise it was only €7, but it would work, this was discussed on the aviation forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Somewhat unlikely, check in is all online at home nowadays so that would mean major alert every time someone misses a flight. Unless you get a 1c flight with the taxes included though, unlikely to be worthwhile. There is no need for any trickery either BTW, you just go back out through passport control if you need to for some reason, I have done this before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,890 ✭✭✭thesandeman

People have been caught doing this with cigarettes so I guess security are watching for fast turn-arounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

There is no security alert when someone checked in doesn't board. Only issue is if they checked in a bag. Pretty much all ryanair flights have people that check in but dont board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

cAM65NVHboiptpixF5UxxSNno1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭beaniebarbeque

blorg wrote: »
    Somewhat unlikely, check in is all online at home nowadays so that would mean major alert every time someone misses a flight. Unless you get a 1c flight with the taxes included though, unlikely to be worthwhile. There is no need for any trickery either BTW, you just go back out through passport control if you need to for some reason, I have done this before.

Oops, didn't know you could check in online, shows how often I fly! No problem strolling back through passport control all right, I've done that too but always took the flight. Not such a bad plan so, but might need to be a slightly bigger saving. Thanks for update!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Is this thread about flight checkins or Bargain Alerts.

Is this Kindle thing any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

kaji wrote: »
    What happened. Did u order at the international prices and still get stung? That's not meant to happen. Alternatively did u get it at us prices and get someone to send it on. If so how much did u get caught for. Was thinking of doing that by getting my sister in law to send one on but if the customs charge is a lot then it's not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

Does the Kindle in Tesco include a charger? On Amazon, they're sold separately from the reader itself, and the Amazon UK site won't sell them to Ireland, so they've got to be ordered from the US site.

@kaji, I bought a kindle from Amazon (US) recently, and all customs charges were included in the money I paid to Amazon, I didn't have to pay separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

@thegills, I find the kindle great - saves me lugging a book around with me, and was great on holidays when I'd normally have half a suitcase full of books!

The 3G option is class - it allowed me to log on to the internet while on holidays in the USA recently (free of charge). It's a very basic browser, and navigation would drive you bonkers, but for email checking, facebook updates, and news & sports headlines, I found it great!

The downside is that amazon UK won't sell kindles or ebooks to customers in Ireland (there is a workaround which I'm sure I've seen explained on a thread somewhere in boards) - you've got to buy the Kindle and the ebooks from the US site, so might not have the choice.

Sorry - back on topic now! €185 is a good price, the US site was charging $189 if I recall for the 3G version, and of course there are delivery and customs charges on top of that.

gipi wrote: »
    Does the Kindle in Tesco include a charger? On Amazon, they're sold separately from the reader itself, and the Amazon UK site won't sell them to Ireland, so they've got to be ordered from the US site.

Don't even bother getting the charger! - It's nice and small..... but it's just a bog-standard USB power adaptor - so as long as you get the USB cable (which you do) you can charge your Kindle from any PC/Mac USB port - or any mains or car cigarette lighter with a USB charger. Note that although the small end of the USB cable looks like the normal mini-USB - these cables (eg from cameras) are NOT suitable for a Kindle.
    I have one (I bought in a retail store in US) - and it just got thrown in a drawer and never used. Even if you bought it cos you want something small to carry - you'll need a US to local plug adapter anyway - much easier and cheaper to buy a USB charger at yer local Tesco or whatever (but not at the Airport)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Don't even bother getting the charger! - It's nice and small..... but it's just a bog-standard USB power adaptor - so as long as you get the USB cable (which you do) you can charge your Kindle from any PC/Mac USB port - or any mains or car cigarette lighter with a USB charger. Note that although the small end of the USB cable looks like the normal mini-USB - these cables (eg from cameras) are NOT suitable for a Kindle.
    I have one (I bought in a retail store in US) - and it just got thrown in a drawer and never used. Even if you bought it cos you want something small to carry - you'll need a US to local plug adapter anyway - much easier and cheaper to buy a USB charger at yer local Tesco or whatever (but not at the Airport)

A lot of modern phones use the same charger.
    I use a blackberry charger to charge my HTC Desire Z and my Kindle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The port is standard micro USB, it is the successor standard to mini-USB and as Tom says is used by most modern phones as well as other peripherals; I also have an external hard disk that uses the same cable.

I have a Sony Reader rather than a Kindle but I have used other peoples; if I was replacing I would go for a Kindle. It mounts straight as an external drive so sticking stuff on it is drag and drop, and as mentioned you have free 3G internet in over 100 countries. Crap internet, but did I mention it is free! It feels good in the hand and the pagination buttons are well situated.

As to whether an eBook reader in general is a good thing, yes they are fantastic, particularly if you are travelling. You really have to see one to appreciate the display, it is far closer to paper than a computer screen and no trouble to read while books on. Battery lasts for around a month per charge as power usd only needed to change page, not to display. This is for reading, obviously would be shorter using internet or listening to music.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Save a tenner !!!@!!

TomCo wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Can the kindle touch be got soon in Ireland?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

So I don't get this - these come without a charger and amazon won't deliver them here?

What gives? How to you get power back onto it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

jayteecork wrote: »
    So I don't get this - these come without a charger and amazon won't deliver them here?

Do you have a laptop with a USB port?
    Do you have a mains wall socket? Buy a USB plug.

jayteecork wrote: »

ummmmm.....it comes with a special USB cable - which is used to connect to your PC/Mac for some communication (not much) but also for charging the Kindle. The bit Amazon don't supply internationally is just a very small mains to USB power adapter/charger - it's cute but it has US pins on it so you have to add your own plug pin adapter anyway. The USB cable you get will plug into any PC/Mac, wall socket USB supply, car cigarette lighter USB charger etc.
    so as long as you get the USB cable (which you do) you can charge your Kindle from any PC/Mac USB port - or any mains or car cigarette lighter with a USB charger.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

so
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0051QVF7A?ie=UTF8&ref_=sr_tr_sr_1&qid=1320399746&sr=8-1

Works out @ €103.60.

Still cheaper on amazon it seems.

Edit: so amazon uk won't deliver here - ok.
    Amazon US works out at 118 delivered (that's prioroty shipping which isn't too bad)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Currys are doing the WiFi for €109, and the 3G+WiFi keyboard for 179 at the moment, 16 cheaper than Tesco. The Tesco in Douglas had loads of Kindle chargers and covers yesterday as well as 3G+WiFi KB Kindles. Come to think of it, Tesco also has the WiFi only Keyboard for €149 which Currys don't have at all, AFAIK.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

And delay the flight while they wait for the asshole who has checked in, but no intention of flying. Brilliant.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

No need to buy online,

Currys/Pc World €109

Tesco €110

and the WIFI Keyboard for €129 (PC World Mahonpoint have them on display anyway)

Advertisement