Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FREE GERMAN TUTORING, STARTING FROM THE VERY BEGINNING

Options
  • 19-11-2015 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

My boyfriend and I are making a German course (he's a native German speaker), and we need a test-student.

We start from absolute beginner, so ideally we're looking for someone without any experience with German.

(If you have some vague memories of classes in school, that's not a problem.)

---

We have about thirty hours of lessons written so far.

It's totally possible to spread the lessons over many days, like an hour a day or whatever.

But one of the major points of the testing is to make sure that the lessons are fun/easy/exciting, even when squashed into as many hours a day as possible.

Basically, if you're the kind of person who has the mental energy to binge-read a great book, or binge-watch a good show, then you should have the energy to binge-learn with our German lessons.

---

So we're looking for someone who's free to come in for several hours a day, several days in a row.

(We'll do one short session first, so you can see what you're getting into. ;) )

So basically, if you're interested, all you have to do is:

- come in
    - lie on the couch
    - listen and talk in English and German
    - be able to stay and do that for a whole day, for as long as you're having fun

(
    We'll take some "power breaks" every couple hours.

Have some tea, or go for a ten minute walk or something (we live near the People's Park).
    )

---

Also, we're going to make a video recording of all the teaching so we can show people like:
    "See, this is how the lessons start, with the student saying simple sentences like this..."

/jump forward
    "Here's an hour in. See the kind of stuff the student can do now..."
    /jump forward
    "Here's another hour in. Notice how they can now say more complex sentences like *this*..."

etc

---

Sound interesting to anyone? Send us a PM!

---

(P.S. Note to anyone with allergies: we have a cat.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

If it was a bit more spread out I'd do it, but several hours a day while working full time isn't really possible.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭barraseaclaid

Ok having done German for leaving cert In School and considering myself quite good at it;
    I can See the merits In your project but you are forgetting one key fact in my opinion; the mind is like a sponge...it's ok to binge watch tv shows etc cuz you are not trying to gain much from them bar enjoyment...when it comes to learning a
    Language im sure people want to retain a certain Amount of the info the learn...This is not possible via a binge educate method the mind has limits IMHO and thus doesn't help people learn german

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Owen_AR

If it was a bit more spread out I'd do it, but several hours a day while working full time isn't really possible.

Hm, yeah. Ideally, we want to get this done as fast as possible, obviously (since this is *our* full time job xD ).

So that's why we're starting by checking if there's anyone out there right now with a big block of free time.

But if there isn't anyone like that available right now, we will do it more spread out.

So we don't want to scare people away by making it sound like we're demanding a *huge* time investment.

So if you're reading this, and you're interested, just:

respond with an estimate of the time you could have available.

eg "A couple hours a day every evening for a week" or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Owen_AR

.... when it comes to learning a language, I'm sure people want to retain a certain amount of the info they learn ....

Ah, sorry, I think you've misunderstood...

We've *already* tested our lessons -- we mainly just need to *record* another student as a *demonstration*.

Our last test-student retained *everything* we taught them at the end of each day, because they were actually speaking and understanding full sentences the whole time.

People are *amazed* when they see just how much any normal person can learn in a single a day if only the lessons are *structured* the right way.

That's why we need to make a video.

They couldn't believe it if we just told them, so we need to *show* them.

Doing as many hours as possible in as few days as possible isn't *necessary*, it's just *possible*, when you actually know how to teach right, and it adds more punch to the demonstration.

If you know anyone who does not know German and might be interested in learning, please do direct them here. Thanks! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Owen_AR wrote: »

So basically, if you're interested, all you have to do is:

- come in
    - lie on the couch
    - listen and talk in English and German
    - be able to stay and do that for a whole day, for as long as you're having fun

)

Lie on a couch for hours on end and learn a language??? Sounds a bit fishy. Is the person interacting with anyone, communicating in the language, or just being bombarded with words and phrases in a "fun" way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Pity it is not available on line ...... I would willingly lie in bed for the day learning German. ;)

Advertisement