Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindles in Tesco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

juke wrote: »
    I've used mine in Spain & Austria - I've noticed that it seems to allow a limited amount of browsing, but seems to have a daily or weekly limit and then it says "the page you have requested is not available" - enough to browse e-mails and check headlines, no more.

I've used my Kindle 3G in Germany, Spain and even Argentina with no problems. It's a bit of a pain to use sometimes but it works and it has definitely come in very handy when I was away from a wifi hotspot and trying to find out about whether flights were delayed or check emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭jamesd

Does anyone have any idea will the kindle touch be available in ireland for before the xmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

Got the Kindle 4 NT today. What a clever little device. With Calibre for collating all sort of news, books etc, it's looking like a great little tool. First impressions are really good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Got the Sony pocket reader a few years ago, just hadn't used it much in ages for some reason. But then in a sudden rush of "need to buy something" went and got the Kindle 4 from Tesco UK for £89.

Much thinner and lighter than the old Sony one, and the screen is bigger too. Liking how easy it is to get books onto it, select the free stuff through the Amazon account in a full browser. It automagically downloads next time you turn on the wifi. Have managed to xfer a few books that I had on the Sony by using Calibre, even seemed to convert some epub purchases I'd made into whatever Amazon format and they came out appearing fine on the Kindle. The emailing PDF's to the @kindle.com address to convert them worked OK for some documents as well, well once I'd figured out that you needed to add the subject line "convert" to get them to reflow.

Still don't see the point in having a keyboard on the original Kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

robinph wrote: »
    ..using Calibre, even seemed to convert some epub purchases I'd made into whatever Amazon format and they came out appearing fine on the Kindle.

.mobi - I was astounded by the amount of books out there in this format. Not encouraging anyone to go out and pirate stuff, but I went ahead and downloaded a few .mobi files (DRM free, or DRM removed, I don't know) for the (paper) books that I already have, and everything is so easy with Calibre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

positron wrote: »
    .mobi - I was astounded by the amount of books out there in this format. Not encouraging anyone to go out and pirate stuff, but I went ahead and downloaded a few .mobi files (DRM free, or DRM removed, I don't know) for the (paper) books that I already have, and everything is so easy with Calibre.

Was actually the Tolkien books I'd bought a while ago, but luckily had already un-drmed them. Otherwise I'd now have lost those purchases due to a change of product to read them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

TomCo wrote: »
    The new model is €99 in the airport btw. Thats even cheaper than amazon!

Which shop in the airport TomCo.
    Flyng out tomorrow morning, would like to pick this up if I can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Berberis wrote: »
    Which shop in the airport TomCo.
    Fling out tomorrow morning, would like to pick this up if I can
    Dixons

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Dixons

Thanks for that.
    I have one of those DAA €10 Airport shopping voucher, so will use that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 renga

I've used my Kindle 3G in Germany, Spain and even Argentina with no problems. It's a bit of a pain to use sometimes but it works and it has definitely come in very handy when I was away from a wifi hotspot and trying to find out about whether flights were delayed or check emails.
    Sparrow, can I ask for clarification: (1) Do you mean you used the browser via 3G? and (2) Is it an Irish-bought Kindle Keyboard you used?

I posted a specific question elsewhere on boards.ie (link) that you might be able to address, as this is a make-or-break for me.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Thanks for that.

I had one of those vouchers and they refused to accept it when buying a kindle. Wouldn't give a reason apart from "my manager said so" which I wasn't impressed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

mcgovern wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I had one of those vouchers and they refused to accept it when buying a kindle. Wouldn't give a reason apart from "my manager said so" which I wasn't impressed with.

I really hope you went further with this and lodged a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

jamesd wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea will the kindle touch be available in ireland for before the xmas?

They're not being released outside of the US as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

renga wrote: »
    Sparrow, can I ask for clarification: (1) Do you mean you used the browser via 3G? and (2) Is it an Irish-bought Kindle Keyboard you used?

I posted a specific question elsewhere on boards.ie (link) that you might be able to address, as this is a make-or-break for me.

Thanks

Yes 3G works fine, mine was bought here in Ireland from amazon.com.
    i.e shipped from the US.

P.S browsing is painful, but it does work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

renga wrote: »

Thanks

Sure. Yes I used the browser via 3G in those countries and it was a Kindle Keyboard that was bought from Amazon UK and delivered to my sister in the UK as opposed to purchased here.

But if the Kindle Keyboard has 3G, I can't imagine that it matters whether it was bought here or from Amazon UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

silvine wrote: »
    jamesd wrote: »

They're not being released outside of the US as of yet.

I managed to get a friend to get me one in Chicago, only 73 euro :)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Just wondering if you had any trouble with it Alpish from the buying of books point of view. Were you able to buy from the irish/uk store or did you need an american credit card to buy from the american amazon store?
    Have been asked to buy one in america next week for someone but I want to make sure there's no issues.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 renga

Yes 3G works fine, mine was bought here in Ireland from amazon.com.
    i.e shipped from the US.

P.S browsing is painful, but it does work.
    Great - that's what I needed to hear. Many thanks! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

brianomc wrote: »
    Just wondering if you had any trouble with it Alpish from the buying of books point of view. Were you able to buy from the irish/uk store or did you need an american credit card to buy from the american amazon store?
    Have been asked to buy one in america next week for someone but I want to make sure there's no issues.
    Thanks.

I don't actually have it yet but as far as I know as long as you have an Amazon account you can get books from either the UK or US Amazons regardless of where you purchased it. I purchased the kindle from my own account but got it sent to my friend in Chicago. When purchasing the kindle it asked if I wanted it registered to my own Amazon account or have it unregistered(this option is if it was for a gift etc.)

Also, if you use torrents there are loads of kindle books that you van download :D

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Thanks.

I got a mate to send one over from America,I bought it and sent it to his address and he sent it on to me.I have had no problems with it.I used my Irish credit card and my own amazon account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Thanks.
    I buy from the US store using an Irish credit card and address - no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you can buy a lot of things from the US or UK kindle stores, but they will only sell UK kindle books (not sure if it's all of them or just some) to someone with a UK address on their amazon account due to publishing restrictions.

having said that, all they do is check your address registered on the account and if it's UK one they let you buy kindle books, even with an irish credit card, so just change it. although i have heard that they have disabled some accounts due to people continually changing address back and forth just to buy books, so i wouldn't make a habit of it, just in case.

i had no trouble buying a US kindle touch from the amazon.com store with an Irish credit card, although they would only ship to a US address, so i got a forwarding address for free from www.viaddress.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Jaysus! they're only $79 in the states but €110 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

groom wrote: »
    Jaysus! they're only $79 in the states but €110 here.

The $79 models have advertisements in them, the $109 model is what they sell here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Oh wow. Ad enabled. That's what 'with the special offers' means

I had a quick looks around and saw this

The whole “starting at $79” complication to the product is because of a new wrinkle to Amazon’s price structure, added earlier this year: the ad-supported “Kindle with Special Offers” approach. In exchange for a discount on the Kindle hardware, your Kindle displays ads when it’s turned off, as well as a small ad tile on its home screen. (Relax—there are no ads in the books themselves.)

It sounds kind of chintzy, embedding ads in a product like this. And that’s why Amazon will let you pay $109 for a fourth-generation Kindle without Special Offers. However, I’ve talked to some people with the Special Offers Kindle who say that the ads are more of a feature than a liability. I’ve heard of good deals on Amazon merchandise, and even gift-card deals such as $20 Amazon credit for $10. If you have a stomach for a little marketing and enjoy getting deals on Amazon.com goods, the Special Offers Kindle might be an even better deal than it appears to be.

(And honestly, since Amazon doesn’t let you swap in your own images for its custom screen saver, all you’re doing is seeing ads instead of old woodcut illustrations of dead authors. I’d think more carefully about the Kindle with Special Offers if I was replacing pictures of my kids with ads.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b3CCakMUM0

Doesn't sound too bad. Anyone got one with the ads. Aparently you don't see them in the books

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I have the one with the ads.it makes no difference whatsoever,only comes on when the Kindle isnt in use,its like a screensaver.There aren't any pop up ads or anything like that,no interference while you are using the kindle.it doesnt waste any extra battery life either.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭barrybones_wx

i got my 3g-wifi keyboard from amazon.com and as far as I know I can only buy books from the amazon.com website. It's annoying the odd time I see a good deal on amazon.co.uk but I'd say on balance it probably works out buying all my books in dollars.

RE. Browsing - it does work painfully slowly but there is a way of making it work slightly less painful by choosing article mode when you're browsing. that brings up the article that you're reading like a normal kindle page. makes it a bit easier to read too. I think the 3G browsing is a useful extra when you might be away and your mobile browsing might be too expensive or not working but i wouldn't want to rely on it for first-aid advice or anything like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

yabadabado wrote: »
    I have the one with the ads.it makes no difference whatsoever,only comes on when the Kindle isnt in use,its like a screensaver.There aren't any pop up ads or anything like that,no interference while you are using the kindle.it doesnt waste any extra battery life either.

Have one too and echoe the above.

An ad fills the screen when the screensaver kicks in.

At the menu there is a ball rectangle ad right at the bottom of the screen.

Nothing ever comes up with Im reading the Kindle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭seventyeight

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    Have one too and echoe the above.

An ad fills the screen when the screensaver kicks in.

At the menu there is a ball rectangle ad right at the bottom of the screen.

Nothing ever comes up with Im reading the Kindle.

FYI if you're interested here's how to remove the ads. I've done it and it works a treat!!

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139279&page=6

Advertisement