Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Helping a homeless man

• 07-12-2019 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Hello

For the past couple of months there has been a homeless man sleeping in the doorway of a building nearby. He is there in the morning and evening, he neatly folds his cardboard floor every morning

I'm just wondering is there anyone I could call to help this man? I'm too shy to approach him myself to be honest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Maybe head over with warm drink and hang out with him. Suss him out. Then you maybe able to figure what service would be best suited to helping him. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

6541 wrote: »
    Maybe head over with warm drink and hang out with him. Suss him out. Then you maybe able to figure what service would be best suited to helping him. Fair play to you.

I'm criminally shy tbh I wouldn't have the balls to. Wonder if I rang some organisation would they link in with him and help him out

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

I'm criminally shy tbh I wouldn't have the balls to. Wonder if I rang some organisation would they link in with him and help him out

You can fill in the form here https://www.homelessdublin.ie/homeless/i-am-rough-sleeping/report-rough-sleeper or phone them on
    01 872 0185 and the Simon Community outreach will visit them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

You can fill in the form here https://www.homelessdublin.ie/homeless/i-am-rough-sleeping/report-rough-sleeper or phone them on
    01 872 0185 and the Simon Community outreach will visit them

Thanks for that info, do you know if the Simon community phone line is open at weekends?

Thanks for that info, do you know if the Simon community phone line is open at weekends?

Their website says it is from 4pm to 1am at weekends. Fair play by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say if he is regularly at the same spot for a while now then the likes of Simon probably already know of him.

Maybe he has been offered help already?

But its very decent of you all the same. Sometimes even a five minute chat and a listening ear might help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd say if he is regularly at the same spot for a while now then the likes of Simon probably already know of him.

Maybe he has been offered help already?

But its very decent of you all the same. Sometimes even a five minute chat and a listening ear might help a lot.

All the above.

And I'd also advise that if you want to help him directly, ask him if he'd like food and/or a hot drink. I wouldn't advise giving cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Hello

For the past couple of months there has been a homeless man sleeping in the doorway of a building nearby. He is there in the morning and evening, he neatly folds his cardboard floor every morning

I'm just wondering is there anyone I could call to help this man? I'm too shy to approach him myself to be honest

There isn’t really, he sounds like he has his shìt together, especially if he’s been sleeping in the doorway for the last couple of months and still folding his cardboard every morning. Basically what I’m saying is he’s got his routine and he doesn’t appear to be in any distress. There are plenty of people who are homeless like that, they’re aware of the organisations offering their services to them, but they don’t want to avail of those services.

There isn’t really, he sounds like he has his shìt together, especially if he’s been sleeping in the doorway for the last couple of months and still folding his cardboard every morning. Basically what I’m saying is he’s got his routine and he doesn’t appear to be in any distress. There are plenty of people who are homeless like that, they’re aware of the organisations offering their services to them, but they don’t want to avail of those services.

You're right, but he may be in a position where he's suitable to go to accommodation where less support is needed and he can progress towards a better life and with the engagement of trained staff he could achieve this. No harm in them knowing his whereabouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Fair play to you op. Being nice to someone simply because you can, because you have the time. It’s rare in this day and age.

• Advertisement
Advertisement