Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox One X How long is warranty

• 30-11-2019 1:33am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi there.
    Bought a Xbox One X in Argos in Feb 2018--well it was bought for me as a present but I was given the receipt.This evening the hdmi port just stopped working on it.

Argos say I have a years warranty but I think Ive read somewhere that its closer to 2 years and up to 6.

Am I right in saying that I should be able to bring this back and get a repair or replacement?
    I don't want a refund.

Also whats the best way to approach this?
    I know when I return with it that Im going to get the usual 1 year warranty crap from them.
    If I remember there was a big thread here with someone with a similar issue.
    If I do go back to them with it what documentation should I arm myself with. Has anyone been down this road before specifically with Argos?

Thanks

Richie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Hi there.
    Bought a Xbox One X in Argos in Feb 2018--well it was bought for me as a present but I was given the receipt.This evening the hdmi port just stopped working on it.

Argos say I have a years warranty but I think Ive read somewhere that its closer to 2 years and up to 6.

Am I right in saying that I should be able to bring this back and get a repair or replacement?
    I don't want a refund.

Also whats the best way to approach this?
    I know when I return with it that Im going to get the usual 1 year warranty crap from them.
    If I remember there was a big thread here with someone with a similar issue.
    If I do go back to them with it what documentation should I arm myself with. Has anyone been down this road before specifically with Argos?

Thanks

Richie

Personally, I’ve always found Argos to be the best store for returns. As long as you didn’t physically damage the port and have the receipt, I doubt they will have an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Up to 6 years under Irish consumer protection laws, the more expensive the item the longer it is expected to last.

Shop is bound to offer repair, replacement or refund for fault items.

Up to 6 years under Irish consumer protection laws, the more expensive the item the longer it is expected to last.

Shop is bound to offer repair, replacement or refund for fault items.

This is incorrect, the item is not warrantied up to 6 years, there is a 6 year stature of limitation on applying to the courts for redress. That does not mean an item should last 6 years, a manufacturer’s warranty is whatever the manufacturer/retailer provides and is in addition to your consumer rights.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Did you register on Microsoft. Com? Check your account on there, it should show the warranty and I think it should be two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Dav010 wrote: »
    This is incorrect, the item is not warrantied up to 6 years, there is a 6 year stature of limitation on applying to the courts for redress. That does not mean an item should last 6 years, a manufacturer’s warranty is whatever the manufacturer/retailer provides and is in addition to your consumer rights.

My post starts with Up to, it doesn’t say it has to last 6 years.

Why not post something helpful for the OP instead of trying to win a semantics argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

I’ve found Argos difficult to deal with. A product two months past the one year warranty and they had no interest. I cited sales of good act etc and nothing. Told I should contact the manufacturer, which ended up being Argos. Contacted them online as well and same thing. Told me I had to get an expert report identifying the issue and they would refund. For an €80 microwave it wasn’t worth the risk of being out of pocket or going to the small claims court.

No harm in trying as Argos will look after you if it’s still under warranty. Otherwise you might have a better chance with MS.

Why not post something helpful for the OP instead of trying to win a semantics argument.

It isn’t semantics, telling the op that the Xbox is warrantied for 6 years gives wrong info when he is looking for that info to take into the shop. The warranty is whatever Microsoft/Argos offers on Xboxes, be it one year, two etc. But the op can go to the SCC within 6 years of purchase if Argos refuse to do anything for him. Knowing your rights is important if you get into an argument with a Retailer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dav010 wrote: »
    Personally, I’ve always found Argos to be the best store for returns. As long as you didn’t physically damage the port and have the receipt, I doubt they will have an issue.

They are looking for a "code" from Microsoft or something to approve the replacement.
    I just sat down last night to play Red Dead 2 and the screen started flickering.
    Changed the hdmi cable thinking it was a faulty cable and I could feel teh port loose.After a few minutes there was no output at all.
    Its been sitting in the same spot for almost a year without ever being moved with no issues it so I think its definately faulty hardware probably the usual crap soldering job on electronics these days.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Did you register on Microsoft. Com? Check your account on there, it should show the warranty and I think it should be two years.
    I registered it last night and it only shows a year.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I registered it last night and it only shows a year.

That's strange, I just checked mine there. I bought it this time last year more or less and it still has another year's warranty left. Maybe get on to Microsoft support and see what the story is.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Definately says out of warranty.Bought in Feb 2018 and says its out since February 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

There is a minimum 2 year warranty law on electrical goods bought in the EU isn’t there?

Also you have up to 6 years in Ireland where you can challenge faulty goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Warranty doesn't matter. It can help you get a repair more quickly but if you didn't damage it, you'll be covered by your consumer rights. If the HDMI is physically damaged I feel you may be goosed. Is the port loose/any damage? If it's something on the board that's burned out, I'd definitely pursue it as it's not reasonable for such an expensive item to fail in such a short space of time. Forget Microsoft, your contract of sale is with the retailer. If it's not damaged, send them registered letter stating it's not reasonably durable and you'll be forced to start Small Claims Court proceedings if they don't honour your consumer rights.

XsApollo wrote: »
    There is a minimum 2 year warranty law on electrical goods bought in the EU isn’t there?

Also you have up to 6 years in Ireland where you can challenge faulty goods.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/ireland/index_en.htm

Ireland did not adopt the EU Directive on warranties, our consumer law was deemed stronger.

Deal with Microsoft directly, I find them very good to deal with. They will give you a shipping label to put on the package, you drop it off at UPS and get regular updates on the progress. Microsoft will look at it and either repair or replace. Some things cant be repaired and they'll know straight away to just ship out a replacement so make sure you give proper details of the problem. Dont quote me as I may be wrong but I think the hdmi port is integrated into the motherboard so I'd imagine you're looking at a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Because you're spouting complete bolloçks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This 6years thing gets thrown in here time to time, it's completely irrelevant.
    Say you buy a mattress with a 10 year guarantee and it goes belly up in year 8, you can perfectly argue your merchantable quality time period goes up to 10 years and therefore you are entitled to be looked after by the retailer

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Microsoft playing hardball insisting its only 1 year warranty in the EU.
    Been on chat to them for over an hour now. Quoting and linking to the consumer acts.
    Not budging at all.

Anyone have Microsofts Ireland phone number?

The lad on support says that Microsofts Services agreement over rides local laws including the EU consumer acts.

Just aswell I took screen shots of the conversation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your contract for consumer law is with Argos not Microsoft

L1011 wrote: »
    Your contract for consumer law is with Argos not Microsoft
    But argos are saying its with Microsoft.

There's still the issue of whether it's a one or two year warranty. Microsoft are saying it's one year. EU are saying minimum of 2 years.
    Microsoft aren't budging on that.

And argos won't play ball until Microsoft confirm its 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Go through the Microsoft site http://account.microsoft.com/ to view your warranty (looks like 3 years on Xbox One X - got mine in 2018 and showing warranty til 2021)
    You can add it - if not already done - to your device list and start the repair process that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I had similar when I bought mine in GS, only had a year and it broke after 15 months.

Tried MS and got so frustrated getting through to someone with no English. Then went through GS for their repair service.

Came back from GS still broke so just took the refund on the repair and put it off a new one.

Some people only get 1 year and some people get 2, don't know how it works.

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Go through the Microsoft site http://account.microsoft.com/ to view your warranty (looks like 3 years on Xbox One X - got mine in 2018 and showing warranty til 2021)
    You can add it - if not already done - to your device list and start the repair process that way

I did that but its saying its out of warranty.Thats why I contacted customer support.

What really surprised me was the fact that this agent thinks that the Services agreement over rules my consumer rights.

Am I correct here or can he point to the services agreement and wash his hands of it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

But argos are saying its with Microsoft.

There's still the issue of whether it's a one or two year warranty. Microsoft are saying it's one year. EU are saying minimum of 2 years.
    Microsoft aren't budging on that.

And argos won't play ball until Microsoft confirm its 2 years.

Argos are wrong and deflecting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Argos are wrong and deflecting

they are not wrong. the manufacturer warranty is separate from your consumer rights.

OP has a choice here. he can use the Microsoft warranty which will probably get him a refurbished replacement Xbox 1 x, possibility of a better model.

or he can pursue his consumer rights under the sales of goods and supply action where they (argos) must offer him one of the 3 Rs. repair/replace/refund. (OP doesn't get to pick which one).

Refund could take onto account the fact her got 18 mths - 2 years use from console.

I personally would rather a quick easy replacement under Microsoft than the alternative of a repair etc.

OP has a choice here. he can use the Microsoft warranty which will probably get him a refurbished replacement Xbox 1 x, possibility of a better model.

According to Microsoft I have no warranty. That's what my biggest issue is.
    I'd gladly use it if they were willing to honour it

they are not wrong.

They're claiming they have no responsibility which is wrong

They're claiming they have no responsibility which is wrong

How would you handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I don't understand, why people don't get the law in Ireland. It's pretty simple.

You have your statuory rights in Ireland if you buy something as a consumer. It must be of merchantable quality, which includes a reasonable lifespan, in which you can expect the product to work without breaking. You have 6 years to invoke these rights, before it's barred due to the statute of limitations. These rights are between you and the seller and the seller has to engage with you about it and can't fob you off to the manufacturer or any oter third party.

In addition to this, you can have a warranty (from seller or more often from the manufacturer). This is in addition to your statutory rights and can have any requirements and time limits attached to it. It can be 1 year, 2 years or just 1 week, whatever theseller or manufacturer says.

In practical terms, it's most often much easier to go the warranty route if the fault is still within the terms of the warranty, as it will mostly qive you a quicker result. If the fault happens out of the terms of the warranty, go to the store and demand your rights. If they refuse, demand to talk to the manager. If this won't help you, write a letter to the headquarters, and set a deadline. If they still refuse, go of fto the Small Claims Court.

To the OP, go back to Argos and demand a manager. If they still refuse to handle the request, write a mail to the head office and then to the Small Claims Court if the head quarters don't help you.
    One small addition to this is, that technically, you don't have any statutory rights, as you didn't bought the XBox (even so you have a receipt). Practically, that's normally not a problem, if you have the receipt, but the store could refuse you, if the receipt has a name on it (e.g. Mrs. X bought the XBox, but Mr. Y is trying to get it repaired).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Can the OP be sure that the hdmi issue is caused by a manufacturing defect?

Unless you can show that the fault is as a result of manufacturing defect, then it will be difficult to claim on any legislation.

It maybe as simple as something becoming loose after the xbox fell or was mishandled by someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I worked in Xbox Support years ago and it was 2 year warranty for the Xbox in Ireland, I've no idea why they're only trying to peddle 1 year now.

Advertisement