Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesla Cybertruck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Awful looking yoke. Has to be a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Awful looking yoke. Has to be a wind up.

I think it looks nice. The lad designing it really threw convention in the bin before he took on this project. Dieing to see what it will look like in the flesh, hopefully with polygon camouflage

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I love it. I don’t know if it’s because it’s so good or so bad it’s good! The jury is still out ! Won’t go down well in hyper conservative Ireland !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I have to admit I initially thought the truck they brought on stage was a decoy and I was waiting for the real truck to appear.
    Obviously it dawned on me that I was looking at the actual product.... shocker.
    The technical aspects of the truck were enough to keep me interested but the price was the real hook.
    I reserved the Cybertruck basically because it seemed like a sound financial decision, head over heart if you like.
    The idea being that there might be an opportunity to make a few bucks if I get to buy one of the first units off the boat.
    The €100 fully refundable deposit made this an even easier decision.
    However in almost 24 hours I have totally reevaluated my stance on the Cybertruck.
    Having watched every main stream youtube video available I have to admit I actually like the design of this truck.
    I am old enough to remember cars like the Beetle and the Anglia 105e being common sights on Irish roads.
    And I remember the ugly slab sided VW Golf being introduced to take over from such cars, the Golf is now a design icon.
    In the same vein, the Cybertruck may actually be the fresh new (retro) design that sets a new trend in vehicle aesthetics.
    Either way I am happy that I have made a sound decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This isn't the finished vehicle. I think this is the concept design

It's missing too many road safety festures required in Europe California and therefore most of the US.

You can push the boat out. But you'll get roped back in my regulations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

I think it looks nice. The lad designing it really threw convention in the bin before he took on this project. Dieing to see what it will look like in the flesh, hopefully with polygon camouflage

I try to be somewhat middle ground when providing opinions, but that design is a total shocker. It is beyond ugly. And beyond ugly does not mean it is somehow retro. It is just plain ugly, and it's windows seemed to break when hit by tennis balls

• Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It looks like something from a Roboop film, what they predicted vehicles would look like in some future world.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Aside from the looks, it seems to be surprisingly narrow for such a beast, possibly narrower than a Model S, although quite long.

Three seats across in the front is my favourite configuration.

The battery is going to have to be absolutely enormous though. Whatever about body aerodynamics, the tyres are going to murder the efficiency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I think as we get further from a picture people are forgetting what this look likes,

5dd7f73efd9db269c1036f38?width=1100&format=jpeg&auto=webp

A Deep Look At The Design Of Tesla’s Cybertruck
    https://jalopnik.com/a-deep-look-at-the-design-of-tesla-s-cybertruck-1839993654
    Also, earlier utility vehicles with simple, flat panels that required no complex pressings almost always had something in common to make those flat panels stronger: corrugations.

The Cybertruck has no corrugations at all but is made of entirely flat panels. Flat, thin steel panels with no corrugations are weak, unless the metal is thick and, as a result, heavy.

Elon said the stainless steel body panels on the truck are 3 millimeters thick—that’s 0.12 inches thick. Conventional relatively modern automotive sheet metal is usually no thicker than 20 gauge, which is 0.812 millimeters or 0.032 inches thick. That’s around a third the thickness of the Cybertruck steel.

The question is why. Why would you use thicker, heavier metal if you didn’t have to? There’s a lot of disadvantages to a really heavy car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Has there been any info on how much it would cost here? assume we have a quite high paddy tax on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

JPA wrote: »
    How is driving a Leaf relevant to this?!

It's equally as ugly

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

phill106 wrote: »
    Has there been any info on how much it would cost here? assume we have a quite high paddy tax on it.

I think it would be €85,000 at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

macnab wrote: »
    I have to admit I initially thought the truck they brought on stage was a decoy and I was waiting for the real truck to appear.
    Obviously it dawned on me that I was looking at the actual product.... shocker.
    The technical aspects of the truck were enough to keep me interested but the price was the real hook.
    I reserved the Cybertruck basically because it seemed like a sound financial decision, head over heart if you like.
    The idea being that there might be an opportunity to make a few bucks if I get to buy one of the first units off the boat.
    The €100 fully refundable deposit made this an even easier decision.
    However in almost 24 hours I have totally reevaluated my stance on the Cybertruck.
    Having watched every main stream youtube video available I have to admit I actually like the design of this truck.
    I am old enough to remember cars like the Beetle and the Anglia 105e being common sights on Irish roads.
    And I remember the ugly slab sided VW Golf being introduced to take over from such cars, the Golf is now a design icon.
    In the same vein, the Cybertruck may actually be the fresh new (retro) design that sets a new trend in vehicle aesthetics.
    Either way I am happy that I have made a sound decision.

Have you seen how reservations have been playing out with Model 3 deliveries? Not much first off the boat going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

I try to be somewhat middle ground when providing opinions, but that design is a total shocker. It is beyond ugly. And beyond ugly does not mean it is somehow retro. It is just plain ugly, and it's windows seemed to break when hit by tennis balls

Tennis balls made of steel to be exact and not at all false

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Got the confirmed order email this morning. It's years away and who knows but it will be interested to watch the progress.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Stick a black gloss paint job on it and it would look pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Stick a black gloss paint job on it and it would look pretty cool.

https://electrek.co/2019/11/23/tesla-cybertruck-different-colors-musk-confirms-matte-black/

1-0RyokkV.jpg?w=496&h=279&quality=82&strip=all&ssl=1

6-Tiow5ZY.jpg?w=996&h=560&quality=82&strip=all&ssl=1

7-ZNj6q2I.jpg?w=496&h=279&quality=82&strip=all&ssl=1

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lan

Musk said he was inspired by the Lotus Esprit, it's a pity he didn't actually look at one of them first.

Reminds me more of the Citroën Karin:

010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Will there be mirrors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Put down an order. Have been waiting for an electric pickup.
    Don't cars need wing mirrors in Ireland to be legal?

=-=

Pickups have a boot space in the back that you can put stuff into. The Cybertruck is a SUV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

the_syco wrote: »

=-=

Pickups have a boot space in the back that you can put stuff into. The Cybertruck is a SUV.

It’s not

If anyone thinks that will be appearing on the road actually looking like that, they're mad.

It's a concept car. By the time the indicators, mirrors, logo, tow hook, number plate etc. are stuck onto it I'd be 90% confident it'll look very similar to a Rav4 (which I think it does already kind of look like, albeit one that's still rendering in the background of a GTA game).

2020-toyota-rav4-trd-off-road-001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

the_syco wrote: »

I wonder if it has cameras instead of mirrors. The Audi e-tron is sold with cameras instead of mirrors here. I think the new Honda EV will be too.

US is a different matter. e-tron has to have mirrors there, as will the Honda. Though the safety people there are apparently starting a study into allowing cameras instead of mirrors. Perhaps Tesla hope it will be allowed by the time this appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 159conor

Lumen wrote: »

They are using thick stainless steel and lots of triangles becuase there is no ladder chassis underneath, its likely going to be lighter to have a strong body and no frame rather than a weak body and a strong frame underneath. RbTuqvR.jpg

159conor wrote: »
    They are using thick stainless steel and lots of triangles becuase there is no ladder chassis underneath, its likely going to be lighter to have a strong body and no frame rather than a weak body and a strong frame underneath. RbTuqvR.jpg
    Did you read the article? Thick sheet steel is wasteful, it's better to reinforce thinner steel with ribs or whatever. Nothing to do with ladder chassis or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I can't help feeling this whole Cybertruck reveal was just a mock up quickly put together just to show something (because they promised). While the rest of the company is far too busy getting production going in the Chinese gigafactory and concentrating on the crucial Tesla car, that's far more important to the company than any of the current cars: Model Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

147k order's since launch.... Elon tweeted today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Lumen wrote: »
    Did you read the article? Thick sheet steel is wasteful, it's better to reinforce thinner steel with ribs or whatever. Nothing to do with ladder chassis or not.

If you want to seriously tow, reinforced medal ain't gonna work. You will have a twisted shell. Had to be ladder chassis. Have had over 10 ladder chassis pickups/trucks so that's how it works.

Unless you come up with something else. And looks like Musk did with the exoskeleton.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ELM327 wrote: »
    I agree,
    I have it as my laptop background in work since this morning and it's grown on me enough to reserve it!

What version did you reserve?

Advertisement