Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opodo

• 19-11-2019 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

I cancelled flights to budapest 2 weeks with opodo which I was eligible for a refund for . It took me 30 minutes to get in contact with someone. Eventually I did . They took my booking reference from me and confirmation of my last 4 digits of my card . They said I would receive my refund within 10 days . Now 2 weeks later they have sent me an email and apologised for the delay but now they need the following details

Account holder (full and complete name):
    • Account holder address:
    • Bank account / IBAN:
    • SWIFT / BIC code:
    • Name of bank:
    • Bank address:
    • Country of bank

My query is if this info was needed from the start. Why wasn't it requested from me at the very beginning? Why wait 2 weeks ? Joke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Don’t know. You’d have to ask Opodo.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The last three items on that list are completely unnecessary. Your IBAN contains the country code, bank id and the branch code.

For example, an EBS IBAN is of the form IEyyEBSI939021xxxxxx where 'IE' means Ireland 'EBSI' means the EBS and the branch or sort code (EBS only uses one) is 939021. For most of the other banks, that code will identify your specific branch.

My guess is that they are simply trying to drag out the process of giving the OP a refund. What's the bets they will next be looking for a scanned image of the OP's passport photo page?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

10 days usually equals 10 working days, so 2 weeks.

They are simply following a standard bank info request - considering they deal with countries all over the world, having one request form for everyone is easier.
    Name and address of bank just allows for the details to be confirmed (you'd be amazed at how many people mis-key a digit on an iban number)

It might take you and extra 15 seconds to fill out all the details

I really cannot see any issue here whatsoever. You requested a refund, they have approved it, now they just want the bank details to send it to you.

Where's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

silver2020 wrote: »
    10 days usually equals 10 working days, so 2 weeks.

For them to pay the refund. Not 2 weeks for them to do nothing and then ask for all that data.
    silver2020 wrote: »
    Name and address of bank just allows for the details to be confirmed (you'd be amazed at how many people mis-key a digit on an iban number)

That was the case when you manually filled out a money transfer ('bank giro') form in your bank, the teller could detect if you used the wrong branch code. But manual data verification is no longer necessary because the third and fourth characters in the IBAN (after 'IE' in an Irish IBAN) are check digits which are there to detect a mis-key.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I got a refund from them and it was paid back to the credit card that I had the booking done with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

What a shady bunch.these crooks are . I actually sent on the info these ***** requested so since its been almost a week and no refund yet I decide to ring them for an update. They claimed not to have received the email the absolute dodgy ***** so I had to give them my details over the phone . Won't not be surprised in the least of further delays from these con men

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

that's that chance you take when you book with shonky 3rd party sites

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭cml387

There was a piece in the Observer's consumer section all about Opodo yesterday. Seems they are regular offenders, screwups and then failing to refund.

Advertisement