Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solo camping tent recommendations

• 03-11-2019 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking for what tent you'd recommend for solo camping, or one person plus some gear. I'll be using it for camping - hiking - camping - hiking. So weight is a major point. Also as I'm tall (6' 2", or 189cm) it needs to have a reasonable amount of space. I'll be using it to work towards ML next year, so it needs to be 3+ season. Of course I'm not looking to spend 300-400 on it either :D

Let me know what you reckon,
    TIA,
    Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

When it comes to tents, lightweight, spacious, 3-season and cheap don't tend populate the same sentence/paragraph. Nordisk do some really light tents but they are heavy on the wallet.
    This is my current tent, just over 1kg without a groundsheet. It pitches really quickly and has a few nice design features but the material is really light so I feel like I need to be careful in case I damage it and when it's wet/windy I need to pay attention to guying so that the inner and outer are kept separate.

I think you need to answer a few questions, determine your priorities and work from there.

ie
    1) What's the maximum weight you're prepared to carry?
    I'd suggest 2kg

2) How high are you when you sit on the ground?
    I'd guess 95-100cm so you'll need at least that much interior height, preferably a couple of cm more

3) What kind of space do you want? Is cooking/storage essential?
    For me, enough space to sleep, store my boots and make a brew in the morning. If I needed to cook in the tent, I'd unclip the inner to make space. Given your height, I'd suggest you need a 2-man tent. I had a 1-man for years and, while I couldn't really fault it, it was a bit of a squeeze (I'm 6ft/183cm)
    Also, if you're going to use it up the hills, you don't want the footprint to be too big.

4) What style of tent do you want?
    Most light tents are single pole design and need to be pegged and guyed for stablilty. Freestanding tents are handy for awkward pitches (they can be put up and moved into the optimum position before pegging) but means extra poles and material = more weight

5) What other features are desirable?
    eg

- Outer first/pitch as one. Most of the single pole/tunnel designs will do that, keeps the inner dry when you're pitching in the rain.
    - Ability to unclip the inner from the poles
    - Ability to cover the mesh on the inner. It's a sweeping generalisation but US tents tend to have a lot of mesh on the inner which is great for ventilation but makes them a bit cold. European tents tend to have less mesh and what is there can be covered for extra warmth.
    - Number and location of the entrances.

I think once you have answers to those questions, you'll have a better idea of what you need and can narrow down your search.
    In terms of makes, I would tend to look at European ones like Nordisk, Helsport, Vaude, Vango. The latter is probably the cheapest of the lot but they make some decent tents (or did - I've no idea what their new tents are like but I used a TBS Micro 100 for nearly 18 years with no complaints).
    Once you determine what style/model of tent you want it's a matter of keeping an eye on muliple suppliers websites until it comes up a price you're willing to pay.
    I'd also be looking at 2nd hand tents - bargains don't often come up on donedeal or adverts but it's worth keeping an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

tphase wrote: »
    1) What's the maximum weight you're prepared to carry?
    I'd suggest 2kg - about right yep.

2) How high are you when you sit on the ground?
    I'd guess 95-100cm so you'll need at least that much interior height, preferably a couple of cm more - About right

3) What kind of space do you want? Is cooking/storage essential?
    Enough for me to sleep, sit up and keep a backpack. I'm ok with having the stove just outside the door (unless its lashing...).

4) What style of tent do you want?
    Single pole with guys.

5) What other features are desirable?
    eg

- Outer first/pitch as one. Yep
    - Ability to unclip the inner from the poles - Meh...
    - Ability to cover the mesh on the inner. Nope
    - Number and location of the entrances. One is fine

I'd also be looking at 2nd hand tents -Not sure, if I'd trust them, but will take a look

Answers bolded. Thanks for that.

This is my current tent

Wow, most of them are more than my car insurance :eek:

Eoin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Tec Diver wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Looking for what tent you'd recommend for solo camping, or one person plus some gear. I'll be using it for camping - hiking - camping - hiking. So weight is a major point. Also as I'm tall (6' 2", or 189cm) it needs to have a reasonable amount of space. I'll be using it to work towards ML next year, so it needs to be 3+ season. Of course I'm not looking to spend 300-400 on it either :D

Let me know what you reckon,
    TIA,
    Eoin

You're asking for a lot; a small budget for a lightweight tent and able to accommodate a tall person. There'll have to be compromise somewhere.

If you are willing to compromise on weight then I would recommend the Vaude Taurus 2P tent. It is heavier than smaller tents, but it has the ability to let someone over 6 foot to lie down without a face full of flysheet or your feet pinned up against the bottom end. Can be found for under €200. They have fancier and lighter tents, but the Taurus 2P is a good start for a quality tent.

If you are over 6ft/190cm, then 230cm is the magic number you are after for floor space.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I've a Vaude Hogan Ultra Light 2P that I'm not using.........

I can advertise it on adverts.ie and link to here as it's forbidden to sell on here.

fAQdFYYl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

Tec Diver wrote: »
    Wow, most of them are more than my car insurance :eek:

Eoin

yep, you have to take a big gulp before you pull the trigger on one of those;)
    I got mine for a good bit under the RRP but it took a bit of searching. I think it cost €455, about the same as my car insurance but far more useful to me.

I know someone selling a Vaude Terra Trio 2P - linky. At 2.6kg it's too heavy for my liking but the tent is in as new condition and includes the footprint.

yep, you have to take a big gulp before you pull the trigger on one of those;)
    I got mine for a good bit under the RRP but it took a bit of searching. I think it cost €455, about the same as my car insurance but far more useful to me.

I know someone selling a Vaude Terra Trio 2P - linky. At 2.6kg it's too heavy for my liking but the tent is in as new condition and includes the footprint.

Just sent her an email, cheers!

Advertisement