Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Check out this link and adjust the animation to whatever time period you wish, Lorenzo is moving quite fast now and heading right for the western Azores island of Flores. Latest obs from there was 18z, still outside the storm's stronger winds at that time.

https://weather.gc.ca/satellite/satellite_anim_e.html?sat=goes&area=sigwx&type=1070

You can adjust the start time for the animation to get a longer or shorter loop than I have set. (will be editing this once I see what actually posts).

Okay, it doesn't load the animation at all, you have to go into the menu (satellite) and find the North Atlantic image, set the animation yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Larbre34 personally I am and have been following met eireann's forecasts. I was just mentioning as a matter of interest this odd and startling report from a shipping professional. It is a chat thread. As I said, I don't know what to think of it and it could be an exageration.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭fits

The rough seas will be “phenomenal” so maybe that’s what your friend is referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rollerdisco

How much extra electricity will it generate? should there be a fall in lecky prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Longing

Edit: Nearly a 1000 people watching this thread right now. That must be a near record![/QUOTE]

I remember in 2010 it was at 16** watching before weather forum on Boards crashed. It could of been higher during that time.[/QUOTE]

Edit sorry mods move to correct thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭J6P

How much extra electricity will it generate? should there be a fall in lecky prices?

You should see credit in your account for using extra electricity on thursday and friday

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rollerdisco

I mean for the grid windmills, total bonanza for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'd say they couldn't give a monkeys. Junior Cert is basically pointless.

But then they won't get the shift in the Disco

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

joe40 wrote: »
    Junior cert results out Friday after a few weeks delay. Imagine if schools were closed for red warning, country would be full of very impatient 15 year olds.

This is a crisis of epic scale. Imagine some poor young 15 year old innocently ripping open the envelope to see the fruits of his/her years of hard work, for it to be snatched out of their hands by some sudden updraft, never to be seen again, and the poor teenager would never get to find out how they did. At this stage they need to either postpone the results to next week, or find some way to divert this storm over towards Iceland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wonder what it will be like at the beach on Thursday/Friday!

Slea head would be amazing but I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Please don't.

touts wrote: »
    But then they won't get the shift in the Disco

I didn't get a shift in the disco on leaving cert night. Unfortunately its not guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

JC results night was 1 of the few nights in the year you could getaway with underage drinking! "Yea my frend bought me a coke but I didnt realise there was vodka in it til I drank it!!:D

Sorry, off topic!

It's not worth the risk. We had wind here a few weeks ago that didn't get a mention on the news but I found walking to my apartment very difficult, and I weigh over 100kg. The beach might look spectacular and I hope one day to have a house on a beach, but dont risk going to the beach in what is still a very unpredictable situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Will it be safe to fly in my hot air balloon on Thursday?? It’s a great way to avoid the m50 traffic on route to and from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Sawduck wrote: »
    Have to do a bit of shopping tomorrow and I already know there will be no bread, people love to buy bread during bad weather

Let them eat cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Knowing Ireland and knowing met eireann, I think a red warning will be issued across South coast, up west coast and a bit of North. They will need to cover asses in case it turns. Prepare for your 4 day week!

denartha wrote: »
    It's not worth the risk. We had wind here a few weeks ago that didn't get a mention on the news but I found walking to my apartment very difficult, and I weigh over 100kg. The beach might look spectacular and I hope one day to have a house on a beach, but dont risk going to the beach in what is still a very unpredictable situation.

"DONT GO TO THE BEACH IN BAD WEATHER" *Builds house ON the beach*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Is it time to start boarding the windows with bread yet

jamesbere wrote: »
    Is it time to start boarding the windows with bread yet

Why have you not done this already? It's too late for that now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I mean for the grid windmills, total bonanza for them.

They usually shut down in very strong winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Knowing Ireland and knowing met eireann, I think a red warning will be issued across South coast, up west coast and a bit of North. They will need to cover asses in case it turns. Prepare for your 4 day week!

... Unless you work in a pharmacy in which case you're still expected to turn up otherwise some a**hole will file an official complaint to your regulatory body !!!!

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    "DONT GO TO THE BEACH IN BAD WEATHER" *Builds house ON the beach*

There is a difference between leaving the safety of your home to see a sub-tropical storm on the beach, risking fallen trees and fallen ESB lines on the way to the beach etc and observing the storm from inside your strong and secure home on the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

It's like Christmas Eve, off to bed to see what the morning forecasts will bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I had a dream last night about this storm. I saw a serious event. I saw death and destruction. Under estimate this at your peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I had a dream last night about this storm. I saw a serious event. I saw death and destruction. Under estimate this St your peril.

Give you 12 hours and you will be calling it a non event and lambasting met Éireann for over hyping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭pauldry

Can i be the first to say "Is that it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Things are getting serious. Eoghan Murphy was on the news earlier looking very relaxed but apparently he was seen leaving government buildings a short while ago having thrown off his tie and his shirt sleeves rolled up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

My brother is getting married in trim on Friday afternoon. Looks like it will be a blustery washout :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

denartha wrote: »
    There is a difference between leaving the safety of your home to see a sub-tropical storm on the beach, risking fallen trees and fallen ESB lines on the way to the beach etc and observing the storm from inside your strong and secure home on the beach.
    I can see the sea from my house :) 10km away.

Will be interesting either way but don't worry I'm not that daft as to put myself at risk.
    Thanks for the concern though :)

Advertisement