Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pilot training

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

The fatal error that so many people make is they have their hearts set on one company.

When you finish training and are the guts of 100k in the hole you apply EVERYWHERE!!!!

You may end up as a new FO in Aer Lingus, but you may end up do night mail flights in a Saab 340, and it also may take you a year to get that first job!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Becoming a pilot is a process of self selection. We have no clue as to the ability and aptitude of the OP. There are any number of online tests that they could undertake that may give them some idea if they possess some of the key criteria that the airlines are looking at and will be required to pass the flying training. GAPAN used to run courses and have an exam. Some of the integrated providers have entrance exams in order to try and ensure the “product” is not diluted. There is no shortage of wannabes so the big schools can and do pick and choose who gets in.

FTE is the go to school for EI at the moment. Oxford has also been a good breeding ground in the past. Same for BA, Easy, Flybe and a number of other airlines. Some self sponsored Jerez students have been in the right place at the right time and were referred to EI. Others were good networkers and had the smarts to get to know the EI liaison staff that visit Jerez from time to time to check up on the cadets. Others were deemed suitable by the Jerez instructors and phone calls made.

I have zero idea if NFC has any relationship with EI. The relative success of students in gaining employment is something I would be asking all the schools the OP is considering. Sometimes it’s published online on “where are they now”/Alumni pages. Ultimately a lot comes down to timing when you complete your training. Of course you still have to pass the entrance tests/interviews/cognitives etc. Better to find out sooner rather than later that you are not cut out for this battery of tests now in my opinion than having spent the cost of the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SierraLima

1123heavy wrote: »
    People in Aer Lingus at the moment have come from all different backgrounds and schools, the known and the unknown, the pretty and the ugly.

Pick the school that best suits your current requirements and needs. I've no doubt fte are a good school, but regarding value for money ... they are horrendously overpriced and having done the whole training i am very grateful i didn't go to a place like FTE because i would have been ripped off totally. Flight training does not cost anything near 100,000eu and anyone charging you that much is making a heavy profit out of you.

And anyway what about all the guys who went to FTE and never found jobs anyway? If one is to follow the stories of those who got into EI then we should also consider the stories of those who got in nowhere, of which there are more than a few.

Also budget for the fact if EI don't take you, your other option is going to be easyJet ... will you have 35k for the type rating after the 117k spent on training?

I did mine for 60,000eu and ended up with the same license at the end and from going to assessments i am satisfied that my school trained me to a standard that is more than competitive. Regarding standard though, your school obviously matters, but not as much as you in my opinion.

There are people who went to top famous schools and have a skillset that is less than satisfactory and those who went to "poorer" schools and came out with a skillset that is of a very high caliber. The same way you can find excellent instructors at bad schools and bad instructors at excellent schools.

It is a very thorough topic that requires a lot more analysis than meets the eye if you want to go the whole way into "these are a good school they will get me into aer lingus". It doesn't quite work as simple as you'd like to imagine.

Hi,
    If you don’t mind me asking, did you complete your training via integrated or modular route? Also, what ATO(s) did you chose to compelete your training?
    Currently in 3rd year of my degree in DCU and looking to begin training in a year or so, with cost and quality being my priority!
    Thanks

Advertisement