Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titans (DC universe, Netflix)

• 03-12-2017 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First look at Robin from the upcoming Titans series on DC's upcoming streaming service.
    We’re getting a first look at Titans star Brenton Thwaites suited up as Dick Grayson (aka Robin) in the upcoming DC superhero series from Akiva Goldsman, Geoff Johns, Sarah Schechter and Warner Bros TV

Written by Goldsman, DC Entertainment’s Johns and Berlanti, Titans follows a group of young soon-to-be superheroes recruited from every corner of the DC Universe. In the action-adventure series, Dick Grayson (Thwaites) emerges from the shadows to become the leader of a fearless band of new heroes that includes Starfire (Anna Diop), Raven (Teagan Croft) and others.

The Robin super suit was designed by renowned costume designer Laura Jean Shannon, whose credits include Black Lightning, Iron Man and The Jungle Book, among others.

Titans is slated to premiere in 2018 as part of the inaugural slate of a new DC-branded direct-to-consumer digital service

titans_robin-first-look-final.jpg?w=599&h=400

http://deadline.com/2017/12/titans-brenton-thwaites-robin-dc-superhero-series-fphoto-1202218594/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I do wonder what on earth makes an executive look at an increasingly crowded, competitive market and think "me too!". Another streaming service, give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

pixelburp wrote: »
    I do wonder what on earth makes an executive look at an increasingly crowded, competitive market and think "me too!

Well one thing jumps off the screen..
    Warner Bros

• Registered Users Posts: 84,333 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

April Bowlby has joined the cast and will appear as Rita Farr, who adapts the moniker of Elasti-Girl

The series also stars Anna Diop (24: Legacy) as Koriand’r/Starfire, Teagan Croft as Raven, Ryan Potter (Big Hero 6: The Series) as Garfield Logan/Beast Boy, Alan Ritchson (Blood Drive) as Hank Hall/Hawk, Minka Kelly (Friday Night Lights) as Dawn Granger/Dove and Lindsey Gort (The Carrie Diaries) as Detective Amy Rohrbach.

Castle‘s Seamus Dever will also recur, as will Narcos‘ Bruno Bichir.

Source TV Line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This ain't your CW DC. :)
    I think it looks great, but comic book nerds are going nuts (not in a good way).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I gotta ask Mr. E, what makes you think it's great?? I'm not being snarky, just that trailer's done and execution seems so wide of the mark, it kinda came out the other side into parody - like it's a deliberate mock-trailer made by CollegeHumour or suchlike.

The "F*ck Batman" line got a laugh out of me, I'll say that. Suddenly "Do you bleed?" feels like Aaron Sorkin wrote it :D

Ah I guess compared to the CW shows (I watch all of them), I thought it looked pretty fresh - bloody violence and bad language helps differentiate it.

I don't know the comics/graphic novels, so I have no point of reference for the source material (if someone's hair is supposed to be curlier or someone's skin is supposed to be a different colour, I really don't give a shit). :)

Fair enough. Don't really see the CW comparisons myself; like I said in the mirror thread on Superhero forum, I think it looks like a cheap overegged parody of the grim Zack Synder universe. I suspect the F-bomb is going to get an unholy ribbing from fans.

Yeah, check out the comments on YouTube for that video. It's mostly being ripped apart.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

It looks awful.

DC just can't stop digging that hole can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,085 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

DC should invest in one or two lights. Maybe we could see what's actually going in their dark, gritty worlds then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The only way I can see the fanboys being any angrier is if they got Chris O'Donnell to play Robin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well there were these photos from a while back which didn't inspire confidence for Starfire.
    http://comicbook.com/dc/amp/2018/04/11/titans-first-look-live-action-beast-boy-raven/

And this trailer doesn't help.

And I'm sure it's the comic nerds they should be trying to please since I think that's more who their network is aimed at. Like who's more likely to subscribe? Comic fans or non fans? It's like expecting non wrestling fans to sign up for the WWE Network.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I enjoyed it, bit trite mind. But Starfire? Not sure what happened there but that isn’t Starfire...

They kind of backed themselves into a corner. I'm guessing the thinking was they wanted to do the Titans but wanted the Teen Titans everyone knew, which meant Robin, Beast Boy, Cyborg, Raven and Starfire.
    And since Cyborg can't be used due to the movies, they're left with 2 white, 1 green and 1 orange character. And since Beast Boy needs to be green to be loyal to the character they had to cast a black actress as Starfire and keep her own skin colour to avoid diversity complaints.
    Still no reason to make her look like a cheap prostitute though.

The linked picture below(It's a big pic so linking) doesn't look as bad but even that wig gives Madusa in Inhumans a run for its money.
    Maybe it's just an early costume and she wears something better later on. The fur coat really doesn't help
    https://i.redd.it/4ulgulwqksa11.jpg

Not that Starfire in the comics wears sensible clothes. :)

I watched the trailer again, and only now realised Dick Grayson shot all those thugs with a gun. Sure, Red Hood was into that sort of thing, but this is supposed to be the Dick Grayson Robin, who IIRC didn't go off the deep end ala Jason Todd.

I'm calling it now: DC accidentally uploaded the wrong trailer, and distributed someone's gritty fan-parody instead. The real 'Titans' trailer is somewhere on the DC servers. Uh huh, has to be; they can't actually have meant this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

mod: threads merged.

The tone seems all over the place with these promotions; I'd make a guess the ridicule born from the "f*ck batman" moment in the first trailer forced cutting some lighter, more 'adventuresome' versions.

• Advertisement

So they're keeping Starfire's costume for a while anyway.

Trailer does look better though and get to see Hawk and Dove as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Any news yet on when it comes to Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Starts tonight/tomorrow on DC streaming in the States not sure about Netflix here.

It will release one episode every week.

Haven't read the reviews but looking at rottentomatoes, it's sitting at 82%. Won't get to watch it until Sunday, but hope it is good. Will be checking here over the weekend for comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well it wasn't completely terrible even though it was a hard watch.

I will give it a couple to episodes to find it's feet and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Enjoyed it more than Iron Fist or Black Lightening. Nice dark tone to it. Definitely has potential and one I’ll be watching a bit more of

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Taltos wrote: »
    Enjoyed it more than Iron Fist or Black Lightening.
    Agreed. Hope it continues like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I was over at New York comic con and got to see the first 2 episodes of this at the premier screening. What I really liked about it was the dark edges, some nice kills :pac:! I found it a bit raw but like already said it'll find its feet as the episodes progress and I def enjoyed it more than Black Lightening!

• Advertisement

Liked it enough to keep watching. Starfire costume had valid explanation but nothing about the rest of her. She just a vessel for an alien?
    Candy Morningstar looked good. Audrey Horne not so good. :)

Advertisement